• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

That's quite an undertaking Michael.

I realize that, Bill, but I'm going to give myself 10 years like I did for the Synchronic Collection.

I am 7 years and 6 months into the Synchronic Collection which gives me 2 and half years to find those pesky final 5 books. That should work.

There are more Four Colors that's for sure but they are quite available and reasonably cheap for the most part. Heck, I've only started a month ago and have close to 400 of them or about 30% of them. I'm moving Gator speed so far but I will slow down quite quickly since this is a marathon not a foot race.

Awesome task. I have completed runs of some titles with a couple hundred books in the series - and enjoyed the challenge - but nothing of this magnatude. This is hardcore and should be a lot of fun. I will be looking forward to watching it come together.

Here are two new ones I was able to pry from Shiverbones' hands last weekend

Fun books Bill!

I am finding that there are some clear "periods" in the Four Color run.

I posted a scan of my other copy of this one. I upgraded so here's a replacement scan.

I loved that show when I was a kid. The short barrel rifle was different and stood out and Steve McQueen is one of my favorite actors. He played in a lot of fun movies.

73770.jpg.15044d52b620e95f30d4b8f4703f7097.jpg

What are you going to do about "Series 1"?

Ignore it? Second mortgage?

Jack

An incredible variety of books. Are you going for a complete FC run?

At this point, it probably seems obvious. lol

Yeah, it's been on the back of my mind for a while but never got started. In December I picked up a stack of 20 to see how I liked it. I did.

Then in January I bought a lot of 32 off eBay and I liked them.

Last weekend at a local con, I picked up another 20 and still liked it.

Yesterday and the day before, I cleaned out the back stock of a local shop and picked up a stack of 270 (the above books I posted yesterday and today are just the tip of that huge stack. I only scanned those we hadn't posted yet).

Flatrock is sending me a few and Jack generously is trading me some of his doubles ... so, yes, I've been bit :blush:

At least, over this past week, I picked up or arranged to pick up about over 300 of the 1,322 books in the series. I feel better with the headstart. :insane:

I'll update the charts when I get home, I'm blocked from photobucket at work.

By my count, we've shown 1,153 covers with 169 left.

The Andy Griffith issues and to a lesser extent Leave it to Beaver, show up a few times a year, but they usually go for higher prices. Same used to be true for Ricky Nelson and Clint Eastwood issues. Some of the later issues that were related to less popular sources tend to be tougher. Short Ribs, Nellie the Nurse, Aggie Mack, etc.

The last one for me (not counting the first series where money played more of a factor then scarcity) was Andy Panda 154. For some reason that issue kept eluding me.

If you interested in trading for reading copies drop me a PM, I've been slowly upgrading for years, and have a lot laying around.

I'll update the charts when I get home, I'm blocked from photobucket at work.

By my count, we've shown 1,153 covers with 169 left.

The Andy Griffith issues and to a lesser extent Leave it to Beaver, show up a few times a year, but they usually go for higher prices. Same used to be true for Ricky Nelson and Clint Eastwood issues. Some of the later issues that were related to less popular sources tend to be tougher. Short Ribs, Nellie the Nurse, Aggie Mack, etc.

The last one for me (not counting the first series where money played more of a factor then scarcity) was Andy Panda 154. For some reason that issue kept eluding me.

If you interested in trading for reading copies drop me a PM, I've been slowly upgrading for years, and have a lot laying around.

thanks,

I've wanted to see where we're at...you folks are posting some real great cover images.

Got another batch of 20 and had 2 not shown. They are -

I should just give up on shopping Four Color until Scrooge is over his manic acquisition phase, but I stumbled onto some nice ones at a shop in Bowling Green, KY, yesterday. I bet I could have found more if I had looked under the book titles, but it was getting late and I had a drive ahead of me.

FC 1266, Feb-62, Spike and Tyke

Not posted here before. Too bad about the edge tears -- worn but clean copy with nice pages.

FC1266.jpg

These have been pictured here before but as long as I'm at it:

FC 1104, Aug-60, Yogi Bear goes to college, one of the cleanest issues I have in that number range. I had a tough time trying to make the scan colors look like the book colors.

FC1104.jpg

FC 1154, Dec-60, Santa Claus Funnies, goofy painted Santa Claus cover. Almost as nice as Yogi.

FC1154.jpg

FC 1354, Jun-62, Calvin and the Colonel, last issue. I thought this issue was scarce, but Gerber only gives it a 5.

FC1354.jpg

And three ebay wins:

FC 1181

fc1181.jpg

FC 369 and 392 -- element covers! (sort of) Nicely done painted covers.

fc369silver.jpg

fc392silver.jpg

Jack

I should just give up on shopping Four Color until Scrooge is over his manic acquisition phase,

lol I think I'm done for a while. These last 20 came from the same store. I just about exhausted what they had available. Imagine how many LCS carry over 300 different issues of Four Colors!! There's probably just as many doubles there I didn't pick. If you have $$ Jack, I could probably buy you a nice stack from the store, PM me if interested.

FC 1104, Aug-60, Yogi Bear goes to college, one of the cleanest issues I have in that number range. I had a tough time trying to make the scan colors look like the book colors.

FC1104.jpg

My favorite of your nice batch.

My favorite out of yesterday's haul was this one below. Makes me wish I never traded those other early Cowboy FCs for the Airboys last year :cry:

74113.jpg.b717bfdcbcf1fef8a212010a694b7682.jpg

FC1104.jpg

My favorite of your nice batch.

Thanks. Nicest copy for sure, but Yogi never appealed to me much. The painted Santa cover is more of a grabber for me.

My favorite out of yesterday's haul was this one below.

74113.jpg

124 -- Nice early one.

Makes me wish I never traded those other early Cowboy FCs for the Airboys last year :cry:

Of course, you can have them back for a me-e-e-elion dollars, now that they're in big demand.

Jack

I like the Santa issue the best as well.

Impeccable taste!

This must be your night for sucking up. :baiting:

I wonder who SL was, or if it was a seller's mark. Several of the books in this batch have the same initials.

Jack

I just discovered this wonderful thread. I have always liked FC, and pick one up now and then if it's in decent shape and the price is right (I don't like paying more than $5 for one), or if the cover strikes me. The stories are generally entertaining in a wholesome sort of way, and the endless variety of the series really appeals to me. I figure one of these day--maybe in my golden years--I too will take up the challenge and try to get them all.

I looked through the list of posted books and it looks like I have a few to add.

FC451.jpg