• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

I wonder: were there other classics that received both the Classics Illustrated and the Dell treatment? Jack? Mica?

There were quite a few, either as Four colors or Movie Classics/Comics or both. In a lot of cases Dell was doing an adaption of a Disney movie, and not the original novel, so the connection may not be much more than the title and basic plot.

Black Beauty - Four Color 440 Classic 60

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Four Color 614, Classic 47

Treasure Island - Four Color 624, Classic 64

Robinhood - Four Color 669, Classic 7

Around the World in 80 Days - Four Color 784, Classic 69

Count of Monte Cristo - Four Color 794, Classic 3

Hunchback of Notre Dame - Four Color 854, Classic 18

Ben Hur - Four Color 1052, Classic 147

Journey to the Center of the Earth - Four Color 1060, Classic 138

Time Machine - Four Color 1085, Classic 133

Huck Finn - Four Color 1114, Classic 19

3 Worlds of Gulliver (Gulliver's Travels) - Four Color 1188, Classic 16

Mysterious Island - Four Color 1213, Classic 34

1213.jpg

Rob Roy - Four Color 544, Classic 118

Master of the World - Four Color 1157, Classic 163

Mowgli (Jungle book) - Four Color 487, 582, 620, Classic 83

582.jpg

Frankenstein - Movie Comic, Classic 26

Mutiny on the Bounty - Movie Comic, Classic 100

Lord Jim - Movie Comic, Classic 136

yes, Johhny Gruelle copyright, and 1945.

Am I the only one that hears Television singing "Little Johnny Gru-elle, Oh, he's so cool" in my mind's ear whenever this name comes up?

Probably.

Jack

"I want my little wing-head"

:o :o :o

Now, THAT'S an obscure reference from out of left field. :applause:

Obscure?? From me, Prof Mainstream??

I have the Little Johnny Jewel 45 released by Ork in 1975, but it's too late to go digging for it...

I should have known.

I think you put it under the Bayeux Tapestry.

However, I do have these that I can share with you, Jack. cheers.gif

television.jpg

television2.jpg

One of my absolute favorite bands, esp. Marquee Moon!

First time I heard the whole Little Johnny Jewel single was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. There's a display at the beginning with the top 100(?) most important I think, or most influential, singles and lots of headphones.

That casette is their live album. At least released on CD a year or so ago, right?

Verlaine's later stuff is good too.

Jack

Today was FC 726 - A Duck Album.

Generally the Duck Albums are disappointing b/c the canvas is too small for any of the multiple stories inside to amount to much. Still entertaining for a laugh or two but nothing meaty. Tony Strobl's art is accomplished inside.

I found it fun to see Donald scale walls with suction cups on his feet à la The Shadow of the '40's. I immediately thought about the cover to Gems of Doom.

72717.jpg.7ab645913b4d3ee5eb5383aec7360a44.jpg

72718.jpg.e161d9a8b4fdb1440d5c89b0b438233b.jpg

72719.jpg.aae4e33d69510a6d35e9eb1cd4353e24.jpg

I wasn't sure, but from the list a couple pages back.....it looks like this book has not been posted yet. Its the only FC I have that wasn't already blacked out. But why are you all showing the cover AND a page from the inside artwork?

Fourcolor266.jpg

But why are you all showing the cover AND a page from the inside artwork?

I'm the one doing most of that. On the boards, I am always wondering what lies behind all the cool covers posted and just imagine that others are so I make a point of always showcasing a sample of the insides. It's fun to me (shrug)

I'm the one doing most of that. On the boards, I am always wondering what lies behind all the cool covers posted and just imagine that others are so I make a point of always showcasing a sample of the insides. It's fun to me (shrug)

Are you saying there are actually illustrated stories associated with the covers that one might enjoy reading?!?

Heresy. (tsk)

Keep it up - I always like to have a look inside. After all, the pages count too!

Me too Scrooge......I really enjoy seeing it. I was just checking.

3220208901_03a82fefe1_o.jpg

I have it! (but no scan) Paid through the nose (on my scale) for a VG+ or so copy -- yours may be a little more solid. I don't remember whether I bought it from a boardie.

Great-looking Kelly art.

Jack

I love that little people 4c, never saw that.

There's a whole series of them. I have another in BTH but I think Theagenes would still love it b/c the Little People meet a lot of mythological figures in it -

72767.jpg.d15e42da16f550dd7768db81ed03bf6d.jpg