• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people listing on Comiclink even care about GPA?

239 posts in this topic

I'm just back to reading this thread after a day or so absence (if you read today's newspapers you know why), and I see no need on my part to respond to anything specific that has been posted with regards to my earlier comments.

But I'll just say this. GPA is a valuable tool, but one of many available tools. The more information GPA can post the more valuable it is to accurately reflect market thinking and allow both buyers and sellers to reach informed decisions. No one is obligated to provide their own market data but the reasons I have seen espoused as to why they don't is not persuasive to me.

I liked tth2's choice of words in an earlier post that the lack of data allows certain sellers to exploit the buyer's inexperience. Whether Tim intended his post to be interpreted in the way I did or not, in any event I don't buy/sell comics with the intent of exploiting anyone. I do it to have some fun and hopefully make some money along the way.

People can agree or disagree as they choose with any or all of the above,

Im reading the newspaper now..What are you talking about??

Page D11 of the NY Times...the bottom just fell out of the high-grade X-Men slab market. Mark's been frantically selling off while there's still time... gossip.gif

Page D11 of the NY Times...the bottom just fell out of the high-grade X-Men slab market. Mark's been frantically selling off while there's still time... gossip.gif

893whatthe.gif893censored-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif If it were More Funs then you would really scare me. cloud9.gif

Yesterday was the 18th anniversary of the bombing of Pan Am 103 and the Haditha charges were announced.

I liked tth2's choice of words in an earlier post that the lack of data allows certain sellers to exploit the buyer's inexperience. Whether Tim intended his post to be interpreted in the way I did or not, in any event I don't buy/sell comics with the intent of exploiting anyone. I do it to have some fun and hopefully make some money along the way.

I didn't intend to attribute any negative connotations when I used the word "exploit", nor did I mean that only inexperienced buyers were "exploited". It simply means to use an edge in information to gain an advantage in a transaction (i.e., make a profit). The nature of middle-men such as dealers and traders, in comics or any other business, is to exploit differences in information to make a profit.

I cant tell you how many times I sold a book only to see another copy sold later/prior for more.

I cant tell you how many times I bought a book only to see it later sell for less.

Thats life in this hobby my friend.

A-men. Coulda Woulda Shoulda.

I didn't intend to attribute any negative connotations when I used the word "exploit", nor did I mean that only inexperienced buyers were "exploited". It simply means to use an edge in information to gain an advantage in a transaction (i.e., make a profit). The nature of middle-men such as dealers and traders, in comics or any other business, is to exploit differences in information to make a profit.

I recognize that, nor did I believe you were trying to infer anything negative. But it is still accurate and I think explains a lot.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

(Grabs laptop and begins posting ebay auctions frantically)

On 12/19/2006 at 7:31 PM, The Troll King said:

I mean, honestly, do you guys that list on Comiclink even care about GPA.

no

Edited by Buzzetta

11 hours ago, Greatness said:

I'm going to necro the mess out of this thread.  Looking back, I'm curious if any of your thoughts on this subject have changed. I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in, as a fan returning to the hobby after decades. In response to your points above

1. I agree 1000%. Fair is a often used out of context by people who have little business experience and too much cavity space in between their ears and their inseam. I get your frustration.

2. Same as above. It's called a "counter offer" and I run in to this ALL the time. Maddening. The whole idea of "market" in a negotiation is a wholly unknown concept to them.  Much like their chance of closing a deal on prom night. Sometimes, I think Tinder was made simply because some people are getting too lazy/passive to even throw an offer out at a club/party.  I digress.

3. Book of ANY grade should be sold at what two parties agree to because that "market" for those two parties.  Period. The amount of profit is irrelevant.

Now, that being said, I'm necroing this thread to highlight two things.  One, while your above points are things I agree with, your post before that talks about not even using GPA in your calculation for pricing out an FF collection you were selling. It's a fallacious argument, because you are using your very own database of sales from your store to help determine value.  So, essentially, you aren't arguing that sales data is worthless, you are just claiming that GPA sales data is worthless/lacking compared to yours. 

Secondly, the "tone" is something I noticed back when I was a kid and now that I've returned to the hobby - many comic store owners have a real pugnacious and offputting attitude. I've asked owners for some really great books because I was excited to be back in the hobby and I wanted to support my local comic book store.  They told me "if I had that book, you'd see it out".  I'm highlighting a few examples, but it's actually kind of common.

So, what is the POINT of me even necroing this thread? I think the heart of this issue is actually a very integral issue in collecting - there is a disconnect on the information available to buyer vs the information available to the seller.  The buyer feels uneasy because of a lack of information and sellers talk down (not just verbal - actions instead sometimes) to buyers. The benefit of more information is that it would improve the experience between both sides.  Until that happens, you seller/dealers could win a lot of customers by not being "that" guy.  Two of my local dealers have lost a ton of potential business by their demeanor.  How many buyers have other LCSs lost buyers from the same actions?

Just my 2 cents - hopefully just taken as advice to the other side.

I highly suggest you volunteer to help a friend/your fave local comic shop/whatever behind their table a con and see how costumers act.

It makes you cringe.

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I highly suggest you volunteer to help a friend/your fave local comic shop/whatever behind their table a con and see how costumers act.

It makes you cringe.

I second this.  With certain books my response is "If I had it the book would be on the wall".  What about that is demeaning?  Sometimes the person standing in front of me is the 20th person to ask.  I wouldn't hide certain books which goes back to a lot of posts from people who think we are hiding the good stuff in a box behind the table.  I want to sell books,  not hide them.  

11 minutes ago, Greatness said:

All businesses have to deal with some customers that are ridiculous. I can only speak to my experiences I see or I personally experience

hence the suggestion to gain the experience of being on the other side of the table. It's rather eye opening.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:13 AM, blazingbob said:

I second this.  With certain books my response is "If I had it the book would be on the wall".  What about that is demeaning?  Sometimes the person standing in front of me is the 20th person to ask.  I wouldn't hide certain books which goes back to a lot of posts from people who think we are hiding the good stuff in a box behind the table.  I want to sell books,  not hide them.  

Demeaning? No. Snarky and offputting? For some people, yes. 

Having 20 people ask the same (possibly dumb) question in a row would drive me insane, but that's why I am not in customer service.