• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonderbread treatment?

311 posts in this topic

My advice: don't do it.

The risks outweight the possible benefits. Sometimes the bread can leave a bit of sticky residue and it's very easy to break off a corner or a chip on an older book.

Zip,

I agree, to a certain extent. It appears that SG chose a strong candidate however 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It certainly works "wonders" on ideal candidates, and this book is probably an ideal candidate in that the back cover is mostly white, still glossy and is new enough that the paper is still strong and supple.

When I first heard about this method, I practiced a bit on some beaters, then took a loaf of Wonderbread to my Avengers 4 that had moderate surface dirt. I meticulously and carefully blotted the book with decent results until I took a corner off frustrated.gif Goodbye 6.5, hello 5.0 sorry.gif

If I was inclined to dry clean again, I would do it the right way and get a bag of white art eraser. Less risk and no residue.

Interesting that you guys all seem to describe doing this in a "blotting" method. I've had pretty solid success with "Wonderbreading" books, but my m.o. is somewhat different...?

Take piece of WB

Remove crust

Wad the crust-less bread into a ball (resembling a gum eraser, basically)

Rub the wadded bread on cover with modest force

I just did this the other night with an Uncle Scrooge 26 that has a mostly black cover except for the ducks' heads, which showed a lot of dirt. I was able to remove the majority of the dirt, and don't think the comic was adversely affected at all, though I should have scanned it before and after to really compare.

I think the biggest concern is if you press too hard, you may leave oils from the wadded bread on the cover of the book - I don't understand how you could tear the cover, either by rubbing with a wadded piece, or 'dabbing/blotting' with an unwadded piece?

My Technique:

Leave the crust on the bread and use it as support for rubbing the uncrumpled piece of bread that you are using...I find that if it is "balled up" then the bread is to smooth and therefore less effective...

Rub the surface using a smooth up-and-down motion along a straight plane of attack..do not press hard as it is the repeated process that gets best results and is most likely not to cause damage to your book... thumbsup2.gif

Behold my first attempt... yay.gif

I don't understand how you could tear the cover, either by rubbing with a wadded piece, or 'dabbing/blotting' with an unwadded piece?

It is easy to do if you use a back and forth motion and unintentionally go too far past the corner and, on the way back, well, grab the corner.

Personally I still prefer the eraser pad. For one thing, it will last a HELL of a lot longer than a loaf of wonder bread. It was created for this very thing. Has no potential residuals (like oil) and - well - like I say - was made for this type of thing.

I don't understand how you could tear the cover, either by rubbing with a wadded piece, or 'dabbing/blotting' with an unwadded piece?

It is easy to do if you use a back and forth motion and unintentionally go too far past the corner and, on the way back, well, grab the corner.

Personally I still prefer the eraser pad. For one thing, it will last a HELL of a lot longer than a loaf of wonder bread. It was created for this very thing. Has no potential residuals (like oil) and - well - like I say - was made for this type of thing.

Just a note for anyone that doesn't know...An eraser pad or a white eraser will remove cover inks.

gossip.gif

Just a note for anyone that doesn't know...An eraser pad or a white eraser will remove cover inks.

gossip.gif

This is what sometimes gets frustrating. I wrote this in the stuck-to-the-top How To Spot estoration thread. May be worth it for people to read that thread. I did caution on the inks a couple of times. So folks, read that thread. Not just my posts but all posts of interest and information that reside there! OK?

"Basically Dry Cleaning is using an eraser type material to remove things like light soiling, pencil etc. The best way to accomplish dry cleaning is to pick up a template at an art supply store. This template is a thin piece of aluminum with various shapes cut into it. Long thin rectangles, circles, etc. Costs a buck or two. Then get a white eraser like a Mars white plastic or similar. You can slice these to very fine thicknesses for use. (see below)

First off you do not want to use an eraser to just erase an entire cover. You WILL remove ink. The template with the shapes cut out are ideal for cleaning up the white text on a cover. Simply align a properly proportioned cut-out from your aluminum template on top of the white lettering. Slice off a price or eraser to fit. Erase. Make sure the edge of the template does not go over an inked area. You may have to slide it along the lettering to get it all. And this can be a very laborious process.

Also, you can get a "cleaning pad" - which contains basically very finely granulated white eraser substance in a small "pillow" shaped pad about 3 x 5 inches. You raise the pad above the cover and gently squeeze some of the granules onto the cover. Then very gently move the pad in a circular motion, often stopping and lifting to see if ink is being lifted.

these techniques can remove general dirt from the white areas. The cover is definitely "picked up" because the whites "pop" more than they did, creating added contrast."

gossip.gif

This is what sometimes gets frustrating. I wrote this in the stuck-to-the-top How To Spot estoration thread. May be worth it for people to read that thread. I did caution on the inks a couple of times. So folks, read that thread. Not just my posts but all posts of interest and information that reside there! OK?

"Basically Dry Cleaning is using an eraser type material to remove things like light soiling, pencil etc. The best way to accomplish dry cleaning is to pick up a template at an art supply store. This template is a thin piece of aluminum with various shapes cut into it. Long thin rectangles, circles, etc. Costs a buck or two. Then get a white eraser like a Mars white plastic or similar. You can slice these to very fine thicknesses for use. (see below)

First off you do not want to use an eraser to just erase an entire cover. You WILL remove ink. The template with the shapes cut out are ideal for cleaning up the white text on a cover. Simply align a properly proportioned cut-out from your aluminum template on top of the white lettering. Slice off a price or eraser to fit. Erase. Make sure the edge of the template does not go over an inked area. You may have to slide it along the lettering to get it all. And this can be a very laborious process.

Also, you can get a "cleaning pad" - which contains basically very finely granulated white eraser substance in a small "pillow" shaped pad about 3 x 5 inches. You raise the pad above the cover and gently squeeze some of the granules onto the cover. Then very gently move the pad in a circular motion, often stopping and lifting to see if ink is being lifted.

these techniques can remove general dirt from the white areas. The cover is definitely "picked up" because the whites "pop" more than they did, creating added contrast."

I just didn't want someone to start erasing their comic blindly, and end up with a problem that can't be repaired.

Good follow up, POV. hi.gif

About 10 years ago I ordered an eraser bag from Bill Cole. I used it a few times but not exactly as described above. I found that while it did clean some spots it left residue that was hard to get rid of. I did not think it was worth the effort, but that was when there were far fewer grades and the ratio between them was much closer than it is now.

gossip.gif

So will Wonderbread. When I experimented with Wonderbread, it definately lifted off colors. I think with any dry clean method, one should stay in the light areas and only go over colors with the lightest possible pressure.

gossip.gif

So will Wonderbread. When I experimented with Wonderbread, it definately lifted off colors. I think with any dry clean method, one should stay in the light areas and only go over colors with the lightest possible pressure.

Wonderbread doesn't lift as much, nor as quickly as an eraser will.

But yes. I suppose anything you rub on it will start to remove the ink at some point.

I am sure there is a Post about this but I had to just say- I love this show. I have been DVR-ing it and can not believe how good it is. It reminds me of a lot of Unbreakable and the 90s Valiant titles. Does anybody else see the similarity with the Valiant stuff? I really like the characters especially the Japanese guy Hiro (great name-get it Hero), the cop who can read minds and the girl who has a Dark Phoenix type character in her... Also can't wait to see what the bad guys are up to and what happens to the Cheerleader... Just really fun stuff. I have almost had Jeph Loeb (co-Executive producer on Heroes) on the Comic Zone several times but can't seem to nail him down. I will keep trying.

Vincent

hiro is the best character of the show and that's about the only thing going for it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif the show needs to pick up the pace and i don't mean the picante sauce. 27_laughing.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Asian-lover. sumo.gif

currently i'm dabbing in korean food. blush.gifangel.gif

Mmmm. cloud9.gif