• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nedor/Better Publications.
5 5

458 posts in this topic

Just picked this up from a Boardie...should be here this week...

WonderComics120.jpg

Hiyo!

Who is this guy? I have been seeing this issue on different threads and its great looking and a nice pick-up, but who is the guy? I know of the other characters from this Golden Age publication, but I have yet to identify this dude!

Who is? What is his power? He reminds me of Black Terror and has a touch of the Fighting Yank look... except he is in purple with the crossbones symbol.

P.S.

Yes, I am one of those readers who has recently jumped on the band-wagon of trying to learn all I can and maybe acquire some of the Golden Age comics from the Golden Age publications of the super-hero characters depicted in the new series by Dynamite Entertainment Comics... Project Superpowers, Black Terror, and soon to be releases of Death-Defying Devil and Masquerade.

WonderComics120.jpg

Hiyo!

Who is this guy? I have been seeing this issue on different threads and its great looking and a nice pick-up, but who is the guy? I know of the other characters from this Golden Age publication, but I have yet to identify this dude!

Who is? What is his power? He reminds me of Black Terror and has a touch of the Fighting Yank look... except he is in purple with the crossbones symbol.

P.S.

Yes, I am one of those readers who has recently jumped on the band-wagon of trying to learn all I can and maybe acquire some of the Golden Age comics from the Golden Age publications of the super-hero characters depicted in the new series by Dynamite Entertainment Comics... Project Superpowers, Black Terror, and soon to be releases of Death-Defying Devil and Masquerade.

The character is the Grim Reaper.

link

WonderComics120.jpg

Hiyo!

P.S.

The character is the Grim Reaper.

link

:foryou: Hiyo!

Thanks a lot fellow boardie! Also another question... Is there a difference between Black Terror's sidekick, because I see two versions of the, supposed, same kid... one depicts as a blonde and the other a dark-haired young lad?

I know that there is a difference between how many copies printed, and how many survived, but around how many copies were printed for each Nedor book throughout the 40's?

Looking through the Heritage archive & Metro's inventory of scanned books, I found the following numbers on the Mile Highs (which are thought to indicate the number of each book ordered)

Startling 25 - 4

Exciting 15 - 6

17 - 4

23 - 8

26 - 8

28 - 6

Fighting Yank 4 - 2

10 - 1

The rest were uncoded.

The conclusions I draw would be (a) the data set is too small (b) that being said, the numbers in general aren't far off from DC & Timely from the same era © the numbers support a scarcity of Fighting Yank, but contradict a scarcity of late 20s-early 30s Excitings. Interesting.

Beyond print run, there's also how well Nedors were distributed to consider. Looking at the titles present in the Reilly collection, I refuse to believe that he wouldn't have collected Nedors if they were available to him. Their absence leaves me to believe they weren't distributed in his area.