• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets see a complete run of CAPS- Between all I bet it can be done!

191 posts in this topic

Lou

I'll second Billy's request to see a scan of your MM 10.I simply adore that cover and the Allentown must be breathtaking.

Here's my lowly,albeit well loved copy.

mysterymen10.jpg

Very nice XL!!

I once owned a complete run of Mystey Men. The story of how they came to be in my possession is a long one, but the humorous part is the actual moment of consumation of the deal (pun intended), took place in the bathroom of a motel room. Sordid sounding isn't it! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey Ciorac, why don't you post the full story in the FOX thread ... it needs a bump anyways! It has such a great ending, I'd love to hear the whole story!

(the cover of MM #10 is great in any condition ... anyone who is thining of parting with theirs, please PM me!)

i'm sorry, but my pathetic scanner will not do worth a dam on a slabbed book, no one knows why, so i can't show you a close up. to see what i mean, check out the 'fox appreciation' thread from awhile back--i tried to show off an allentown m. men 10, and you can hardly even tell it's nice.

Billy;

You are absolutely correct about the quality of your scanner! 27_laughing.gif

I went back to check on your Allentown copy of MM #10 and the image was so crystal clear that I couldn't even tell if it said issue #10 or #11. 27_laughing.gif Based upon the cover image, however, it's pretty obvious that you really meant the Allentown copy of MM #11.

You had me worried there for a couple of minutes since I believe I have the Allentown copy of MM #10 in my collection. yay.gif

and where's a pic of the 10, pray tell? at least i tried!

It's about time Lou posted a scan of a book. sumo.gif

flowerred.gif

This looks like fun,so I'll give it a whirl.Here's an Alex cover for Mr.Schomburg.

cap4.jpg

The arrival of your Cap book was, dare I say it wink.gif, quite Timely!

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

gossip.gif Love the Mystery Men as well!

i'm sorry, but my pathetic scanner will not do worth a dam on a slabbed book, no one knows why, so i can't show you a close up. to see what i mean, check out the 'fox appreciation' thread from awhile back--i tried to show off an allentown m. men 10, and you can hardly even tell it's nice.

Billy;

You are absolutely correct about the quality of your scanner! 27_laughing.gif

I went back to check on your Allentown copy of MM #10 and the image was so crystal clear that I couldn't even tell if it said issue #10 or #11. 27_laughing.gif Based upon the cover image, however, it's pretty obvious that you really meant the Allentown copy of MM #11.

You had me worried there for a couple of minutes since I believe I have the Allentown copy of MM #10 in my collection. yay.gif

and where's a pic of the 10, pray tell? at least i tried!

It's about time Lou posted a scan of a book. sumo.gif

flowerred.gif

Adam;

Certainly can't agree with you more! It's about time that Lou guy learned how to scan and post books here. 27_laughing.gif

Actually, I acquired this book indirectly during the Diamond Galleries opening during the mid 90's and haven't really seen it for quite a few years. Absolutely beautiful cover image with bright glossy colours athough I can't remember the exact condition.

Interesting to note that according to the original list, Payette had graded this book as only a VF+ with his usual tight grading. Not sure how CGC would grade it in terms of today's condition grading, but the book appears to be in good company. For example, the following list has a grade comparison for a few of the Allentown books:

1) Mystery Men #11 - Payette's grade was a VF; CGC's grade was a 9.0

2) Mystery Men #13 - Payette's grade was a VF+; CGC's grade was a 9.6

3) Detective #38 - Payette's grade was a VF; CGC's grade was a 9.4

Although virtually all Allentown books did go up or at least remained the same when graded by CGC, there were only a very few that did go down as follows:

1) Spirit #1 - Payette's grade was a VF/NM; CGC's grade was a 7.0

2) Wonderworld #14 - Payette's grade was a NM; CGC's grade was a 8.0

3) Surefire #3a - Payette's grade was a VF+; CGC's grade was a 7.5

Out of the three Allentowns that I had sold off back in 2000 during the Manning auctions as both a test of the auction market and CGC's grading, the comparative grading results were as follows:

1) Nickel Comics #8 - Payette's grade was a NM; CGC's grade was a 9.2

2) Wonderworld #6 - Payette's grade was a VF; CGC's grade was a 9.2

3) Wonderworld #13 - Payette's grade was a NM; CGC's grade was a 9.6

Shows you what I know about grading as I knew the WW #6 was certainly not as nice as the WW #13, but felt for sure that Nickel #8 was nicer than WW #6 and was shocked when it graded out as only a 9.2. The other surprising thing is that when I picked up WW #13 from Harley, he also had the Allentown copy of #14. I was really tempted to pick up the #14 since I thought the interior condition of the pages were a little nicer than the #13. Now one comes back as a 9.6 while the other comes back as a 8.0 although you don't know if some damage had been inflicted upon the book in the interim.

Next time I am at the safety deposit box, I'll try to pull out the MM #10 and see if I can get a scan of it for you guys.

Next time I am at the safety deposit box, I'll try to pull out the MM #10 and see if I can get a scan of it for you guys.

CAN'T WAIT!!! popcorn.gif

CAN'T WAIT!!! popcorn.gif

Adam;

Let me give you a hand here.... popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

You'll probably need more than one bag of popcorn while you are waiting since I am scheduled to be out of town for all of this week starting first thing on Tuesday morning. 27_laughing.gif

Lou

I'll second Billy's request to see a scan of your MM 10.I simply adore that cover and the Allentown must be breathtaking.

Here's my lowly,albeit well loved copy.

mysterymen10.jpg

Very nice XL!!

I once owned a complete run of Mystey Men. The story of how they came to be in my possession is a long one, but the humorous part is the actual moment of consumation of the deal (pun intended), took place in the bathroom of a motel room. Sordid sounding isn't it! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey Ciorac, why don't you post the full story in the FOX thread ... it needs a bump anyways! It has such a great ending, I'd love to hear the whole story!

(the cover of MM #10 is great in any condition ... anyone who is thining of parting with theirs, please PM me!)

Done.

A couple days and still no # 7 ? sleeping.gif

I pretty much thought my thread had died. Come on 7! Just like vegas, lets see 7's. I can show a 17,57,67,77

here ya go

cap7.jpg

Billy, and I mean this! You are my hero!!!!! Thank you for posting your book. It is absolutely stunning.

Paul

#8 please?

A couple days and still no # 7 ? sleeping.gif

I pretty much thought my thread had died. Come on 7! Just like vegas, lets see 7's. I can show a 17,57,67,77

here ya go

Billy, and I mean this! You are my hero!!!!! Thank you for posting your book. It is absolutely stunning.

Paul

#8 please?

i cannot believe this petered out before we even closed the first ten; i can't help, mine have gone back. for shame.