• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

Been away for a month, in the US actually. Investing in marriage rather than comics this time. (think it worked). Was however in Manhattan Oct 6-9, by coincidence and got to the Con on three days. Will shows some photos later, but found Flash 105, 110 and even 123 very hard to find on Dealers tables. (of course always on ebay but usually the BINs are 10-30% over market there). The big surprise was only one SC4 !!. Heaps of AF 15 and enough FF 1, but only one SC4 !!

On 10/18/2022 at 8:22 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Been away for a month, in the US actually. Investing in marriage rather than comics this time. (think it worked). Was however in Manhattan Oct 6-9, by coincidence and got to the Con on three days. Will shows some photos later, but found Flash 105, 110 and even 123 very hard to find on Dealers tables. (of course always on ebay but usually the BINs are 10-30% over market there). The big surprise was only one SC4 !!. Heaps of AF 15 and enough FF 1, but only one SC4 !!

Terry, so glad you got to got to your favorite Con again here in the states! One of these years I will have to meet you there and we can search for Flash in person. I guess folks are really holding on to their Flash Keys these days! Did Heat Wave make and appearance at the con? :) Can't wait to see the pictures!

No, Mick could not pack that gun/prop in his bag. On long haul flights it gets packed in a reinforced box that takes up 70% of the bag. Shame but this Con was all about artist alley. Will post some photos later. Hopefully tomorrow ( my time at least). And would love to catch up with you at one day and we can walk around the dealer tables. 

On 10/27/2022 at 10:21 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Picked this up while on my trip. I think the time zone actually helped me as it was morning in OZ but  early evening in NY. Not seen this in 6 years of looking and a very, nice copy. Very hard to find square bound books without major spine damage and these books were never loved back then. Late 50s when published here. Image is slightly different from US, as it has more right side and less left side.

1382.jpg

Love seeing these Hundreds with Flash covers!!!

First point of call at NYCC is the dealers. Seemed smaller this year and several regulars (Torpedo etc) I think were missing. Always looking to see how much love our favorite crimson comet is getting from them and in 2019 there were plenty of wall books, mainly in the SC to Flash 140 range, and the boxes were not empty either.This year very few. Also the boxes had very few Flash pre 150 in any shape. This was the only SC4. Price was $5,800 and although it was the victim of the return tear off, it was an extremely clean book with very nice PQ. Have some very interesting news on the SA art soon.

376.jpg

On 10/27/2022 at 10:55 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

First point of call at NYCC is the dealers. Seemed smaller this year and several regulars (Torpedo etc) I think were missing. Always looking to see how much love our favorite crimson comet is getting from them and in 2019 there were plenty of wall books, mainly in the SC to Flash 140 range, and the boxes were not empty either.This year very few. Also the boxes had very few Flash pre 150 in any shape. This was the only SC4. Price was $5,800 and although it was the victim of the return tear off, it was an extremely clean book with very nice PQ. Have some very interesting news on the SA art soon.

376.jpg

Would love to have a chance at a copy like that someday!!!

and here is the thing with that signature. I have a slabbed booked signed by Julie, but I have to crack the slab to see it. Julie never signed the cover !!

Huge Schwartz fan, thanks so much for sharing.

and love the book. I feel the splash is the real page. The cover just a tease. One of the most iconic cover pages ever (if not the most) .. launched the whole thing.

Just for extreme hardcore Flash fans some gems from Italy. Not sure if I put these up before. As you can see these are larger in size, don't quite know how they did that, the colours seem more vibrant and the PQ appears better. Enjoy. Also one of my favourite issues. Golden Age Flash. Cameo of Black Canary etc. and Cold and Trickster team up, a sign of things to come.and of course some pages were colour and some were B & W (????) (and by now you can see that we spell colour differently here)

002.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

007.JPG

On 11/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Just for extreme hardcore Flash fans some gems from Italy. Not sure if I put these up before. As you can see these are larger in size, don't quite know how they did that, the colours seem more vibrant and the PQ appears better. Enjoy. Also one of my favourite issues. Golden Age Flash. Cameo of Black Canary etc. and Cold and Trickster team up, a sign of things to come.and of course some pages were colour and some were B & W (????) (and by now you can see that we spell colour differently here)

002.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

007.JPG

These are so cool to look at Terry! Was it the same situation in Italy as in Australia? Local printers with rights to print and distribute? National must have sent out reproductions of the original art for production? I can't imagine they put Carmines' originals in the mail?!?

Edited by flashlites

Many questions there. Not an expert and still learning, but first one of course is that DC gave away most of the art prior to issue 153 to fans who wrote in and art for other issues only pops up occasionally. My guess the other art was given out to drop in fans. One such guy score all the art to GL 26. DC obviously made lots of copies of the stats, and that is what was sent here. We only got the B & W stats but we got the exact same stats as the US although on covers the placement was adjusted, sometimes minimally and other times we got more of the art that the US. Italy had been reproducing DC comics way before Flash arrived and they did a SC 4 at I think around the same time as the US (a few months later). They also got colour stats.

I am puzzled by the first three panels. They are different. It appears that not only is the page larger but the image inside these panels has been enlarged. Just these three. Don't know enough about printing to offer a comment. I will put the copies side by side one day and look them over.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

Some of the pocket size Nembo have dates years after the original but 129 has a newstand date of June, (probably out well before that) and this is August. So my guess is this was sent over very soon after June was finished if not before hand, as the lettering had to be redone.

I know this is sort of out of place here, but the majority of people on this page are Flash fans. First cover offered to public in over six years. Also proof. Note artwork from the story has surfaced so far. (Covers and story art given away to different people. )

121.jpg

On 11/4/2022 at 9:34 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I know this is sort of out of place here, but the majority of people on this page are Flash fans. First cover offered to public in over six years. Also proof. Note artwork from the story has surfaced so far. (Covers and story art given away to different people. )

121.jpg

All I can say is WOW! Did you know this was out there Terry? How much does something like this go for these days?

Firstly, nope. I have only seen a couple of these covers, 117 and 146 are a couple from memory. I know there are others and 108 is probably the earliest. Was sold at SDCC back in around 1972-73. Steve Fishler who at one stage owned Comic Connect or parts of it anyway, (he may still be there) owns,or used to own the cover or splash (or both) to 123. I am guessing he may go for it and if he does someone will need very deep pockets to beat him.

After checking my records, apart from 108 (not seen in a while), 117, 133, 135 (held by Cool Line Doherty bros back in 2019 NYCC) 137 which sold on Heritage for $167,300 in 2012, plus 146 $44,812 in 2011.

That 137 of course is iconic, first appearance of JSA in silver age, Jay also on the cover, large flash images etc. Still $167K is big money back in 2012.

My guess is it will be over $80K. It appears that the Flash image is a stat paste up. That will hurt a possible final value if it has been original art instead. Still, it is 121, and who knows when next cover will turn up.

Also this is 135 from 2019 NYCC. I did not even query a price (I have my pride and know my expression would not be something I would be proud of)

135 cvr caf.jpg

On 11/7/2022 at 1:09 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I kind of got carried away. There is a story behind each of them. I now am thinking the Australian SC8 cover is not Cinf. The Nembo Kid is the "Coldest man on Earth" story. I keep thinking I should sell some of them but can never decide which ones so back in the box they go until next time, and if you think this is bad wait until i put up my SC13s.

011.JPG

That Hundred cover does look like someone redrew the original? You might be on to something there. Is there anyone from the publisher left there in Oz that you might be able to ask about such things? Sometimes we comic collectors have to play detective when it comes to research.

Edited by flashlites