• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

Showcase #4

Medium tear with crease bottom of front cover breaks color

Moderate staple rust with stain top of spine

Small tear left top of front cover

Light multiple crease left top of front cover breaks color

Stain right top of front cover

Scratch right bottom of front cover

On 8/7/2022 at 6:40 PM, JohnH19 said:

Showcase #4

Medium tear with crease bottom of front cover breaks color

Moderate staple rust with stain top of spine

Small tear left top of front cover

Light multiple crease left top of front cover breaks color

Stain right top of front cover

Scratch right bottom of front cover

Oh right! And there was the controversy Flash Fans. Could a book with a 1-2" tear on the cover grade to a 4.5 or since it was such a key book was it 'gifted' grade?

For those of you that did not participate in the contest you can take a look at the raw scan by jumping into the thread linked a few comments above here. The SC4 is the third book on the first page of the thread.

On 8/7/2022 at 6:52 PM, JohnH19 said:

It was definitely a gift.

I could see maybe a 4.0? So... but the old argument of "if you were selling it raw could you stand in front of your customer and say this is a 4.5? I'm pricing it as if it were a 4.5." And there in lies the value of the CGC grade. So important! 

Oooooo! There's a Flash 133 in the tie breaker round for the grading contest! Play along Flash Fans. Take a stab at it and see what you come up with but don't share your thoughts until after the grades are reveled (contest rules, no discussion of the contest books until after) Saturday night 8/13. We can meet up back here and discuss! 

Well the tie breaker round ended early when the top 4 submitted their grades today. All grades being in, the grades of the tiebreaker books were revealed. A beautiful copy of Flash 133 and a rare example of an early Flash above 9.0! We all know how rare those early high grade Flash books are! Congratulations to @TheGeneral for getting the lowest score in the contest! 4 rounds of 5 books each. The top 2 players tied with the low, low score of just 18 points! (For comparison, my score was 23 putting me tied with others for 6th place.) Truly amazing, averaging less than 5 points per round! Each point was gained when we missed a comic by one grade, 2 points if you were off by 2 grades and so on. If you guessed correctly you earned 0 points for that book.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:10 PM, flashlites said:

Well the tie breaker round ended early when the top 4 submitted their grades today. All grades being in, the grades of the tiebreaker books were revealed. A beautiful copy of Flash 133 and a rare example of an early Flash above 9.0! We all know how rare those early high grade Flash books are! Congratulations to @TheGeneral for getting the lowest score in the contest! 4 rounds of 5 books each. The top 2 players tied with the low, low score of just 18 points! (For comparison, my score was 23 putting me tied with others for 6th place.) Truly amazing, averaging less than 5 points per round! Each point was gained when we missed a comic by one grade, 2 points if you were off by 2 grades and so on. If you guessed correctly you earned 0 points for that book.

I will have to check out the final grades as I made my guesstimate earlier today.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, flashlites said:

Checking in Flash Fans! Anyone pick up anything new recently?

Nothing "new" exactly, but I am getting my copy of Flash 110 back from CGC early this week.  Will post when I get it.  Graded as a 4.5, which is very respectable, although I was hoping for a 5 or higher.  But still exciting.

On 8/13/2022 at 11:27 PM, PDS74 said:

Nothing "new" exactly, but I am getting my copy of Flash 110 back from CGC early this week.  Will post when I get it.  Graded as a 4.5, which is very respectable, although I was hoping for a 5 or higher.  But still exciting.

Can't wait to see it! A 110 at 4.5 is awesome! My copy is probably a 1.5 but of course I still love it just the same! :cloud9:

On 8/21/2022 at 10:21 AM, flashlites said:

This video has a fairly long runs of SA Flash and Green Lantern. I thought I'd pass it along as you don't see Flash or GL highlighted much on Youtube. Its all Marvel, Marvel and more Marvel and if you get tired of that there is always more Marvel content to talk about and watch on Youtube. :roflmao:

Oh man, why did you post that? I haven't purchased any Flash books in a while and this little video has got me drooling.

1184439875_morecowbellflash.jpg.d6ffc197de4efe6398281a73d997cc69.jpg

On 8/20/2022 at 2:20 PM, flashlites said:

Congratulations!!! That's worth the coveted but rare triple dancing bananas! :banana::banana::banana:. How does it feel to finally have a Flash 110?

Thanks!  Seeing it encased is a thing of beauty.  I have the Flash silver age omnibus #1, so fortunately can read any time!