• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,849 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2022 at 1:16 AM, Krydel4 said:

I tried to do a little research and read through DC 235, AC 220, Superman 108 and Batman 102 from September 1956 and there were no ads. You would think that if they were going to have an ad it would be in their 4 biggest circulated books. I think it's more a case of they didn't think it was going to be a hit and it's just another character so they didnt advertise.🤷‍♂️

Maybe so... cover says Oct 1956 I believe they published 3 months in advance so I think it would have been on news stands in July? But yeah any DC comic with a Sept. 1956 date you would think at least one of them would would have it?

On 7/18/2022 at 9:41 PM, flashlites said:

Maybe so... cover says Oct 1956 I believe they published 3 months in advance so I think it would have been on news stands in July? But yeah any DC comic with a Sept. 1956 date you would think at least one of them would would have it?

No luck in Jimmy Olsen #15, cover dated the same as Superman #108. These both have identical ads. I also have Wonder Woman #83 (July 56) and Detective Comics #234 (August 56) both of these are slabbed.  (shrug)

Yeah the whole SC4 thing was a throw away idea counter intuitive to the thinking at the time. The first showcase comics had firefighters, frog men, real life adventure stuff. Not fantasy. Superman had a niche, Batman was fighting Aliens monsters and villains with giant props. Wonder Woman was still very, very, early 40s. SC4 stands out in that backdrop almost like Superman in 1937.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:26 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Yeah the whole SC4 thing was a throw away idea counter intuitive to the thinking at the time. The first showcase comics had firefighters, frog men, real life adventure stuff. Not fantasy. Superman had a niche, Batman was fighting Aliens monsters and villains with giant props. Wonder Woman was still very, very, early 40s. SC4 stands out in that backdrop almost like Superman in 1937.

Yeah. That is what makes me think there is no advertising for it. It's not like AC1 where you are advertising for a new series. You can see in comics that came after SC4 (do to the Flash's success) that they do advertise later issues of re-imagined characters like GL in SC22.

Screenshot_20220721-142513_Chrome.jpg

I know I am way late to the news here but for us Flash Fans its kinda a big deal that Brian Augustine passed away back in Feb? From what I'm understanding? He was always a familiar name as editor of our favorite comic through the 80's and 90's and wow...very sad for me. I know he and Mark Waid dreamt up a bunch of Flash stories together during that time. It was a challenging era for Flash fans, Barry being dead and all but Mark carried the title through with Brian's help.

Edited by flashlites

On 7/26/2022 at 6:22 PM, flashlites said:

I know I am way late to the news here but for us Flash Fans its kinda a big deal that Brian Augustine passed away back in Feb? From what I'm understanding? He was always a familiar name as editor of our favorite comic through the 80's and 90's and wow...very sad for me. I know he and Mark Wade dreamt up a bunch of Flash stories together during that time. It was a challenging era for Flash fans, Barry being dead and all but Mark carried the title through with Brian's help.

The Return of Barry Allen written by Waid from an outline by Waid and Augustyn is one of the best Flash storlines ever. Helped cement Wally West as the Flash for a whole new generation.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:59 PM, Krydel4 said:

The Return of Barry Allen written by Waid from an outline by Waid and Augustyn is one of the best Flash storlines ever. Helped cement Wally West as the Flash for a whole new generation.

Loved that story and the big reveal midway through.  This is probably heresy on the board, but I came to the Barry Allen Flash very late in his run - only started collecting in 1985 as the trial was wrapping up.  I was able to get a few big issues before the title ended, including 175 and 300.  When he died in Crisis 8 I understood it was an impactful moment but couldn't appreciate it at the time for what it was.  After Crisis I started with Flash Vol 2 and really liked how they wrote Wally - i.e., for teenagers to relate to.  So Wally became my Flash.  Only later, when I had more funds, was I able to go back and pick up a few runs of Barry's issues and began to understand the tragedy and compelling nature of the character.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:22 PM, PDS74 said:

Loved that story and the big reveal midway through.  This is probably heresy on the board, but I came to the Barry Allen Flash very late in his run - only started collecting in 1985 as the trial was wrapping up.  I was able to get a few big issues before the title ended, including 175 and 300.  When he died in Crisis 8 I understood it was an impactful moment but couldn't appreciate it at the time for what it was.  After Crisis I started with Flash Vol 2 and really liked how they wrote Wally - i.e., for teenagers to relate to.  So Wally became my Flash.  Only later, when I had more funds, was I able to go back and pick up a few runs of Barry's issues and began to understand the tragedy and compelling nature of the character.

Wally West was my Flash too. And technically he has been a Flash longer than Barry Allen has. Of course, some of the old-timers on the board will go on about Jay Garrick. But that's one of the great things about the Flash is its legacy characters.

Checking in Flash fans! There was a huge debate over in the grading contest about the SC #4. Take a look at it when you get the chance and share your thoughts. I'd like to know what you other true Flash fans think here in our thread. :insane: No matter what the grade is :takeit:...I wish I could! :cloud9:

I should have had a bullseye on the Showcase 4 but, regrettably, I downgraded my correct 4.5 guess to 4.0 just before I submitted. 
I thought that the front cover had too many serious issues for a 4.5 but the back was very clean so I was comfortable with a 4.0.

On 8/7/2022 at 6:09 PM, JohnH19 said:

I should have had a bullseye on the Showcase 4 but, regrettably, I downgraded my correct 4.5 guess to 4.0 just before I submitted. 
I thought that the front cover had too many serious issues for a 4.5 but the back was very clean so I was comfortable with a 4.0.

Did the notes say it was a tear on the cover? Or was it just wrinkled? I had it at 3.5 thinking it was a tear.

Edited by flashlites