• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,849 posts in this topic

I have some stuff to post but life has been a bit hectic. That 176 is the second of Andru's run. The switch from 174 onwards was quite a shock to the fans of the day, and still resonates with newer fans, with a "what were they thinking" But apparently DC thought the book was too reliant on costumed super villains and should be more grounded in reality, more human interest, explore the characters lives etc. (me thinks whoever thought that had never read, 136, 146, 147, 156, etc. ). That coincided with Carmine being put on the payroll and laying out the covers, and doing promotional art. When he was asked for his thoughts on a replacement he thought of Andru. Of course in hindsight we see how those two issues had an effect on the book,  but the owners of DC were making a whole slew of bad decisions at that time. 

On 12/2/2023 at 5:21 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I awoke from my non-Flash slumber and drove over to the nearest LCS to see what they had in the way of Silver Age Flash books. It was quite a search to locate even the boxes of older material, and I finally found the right drawer on a bottom slider where there was one S.A. Flash left. Needless to say I scooped it up. lol

Scan1288.JPG.67e281ecffc0304b58936e5841c42266.JPG

Great find!

On 12/2/2023 at 7:59 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I have some stuff to post but life has been a bit hectic. That 176 is the second of Andru's run. The switch from 174 onwards was quite a shock to the fans of the day, and still resonates with newer fans, with a "what were they thinking" But apparently DC thought the book was too reliant on costumed super villains and should be more grounded in reality, more human interest, explore the characters lives etc. (me thinks whoever thought that had never read, 136, 146, 147, 156, etc. ). That coincided with Carmine being put on the payroll and laying out the covers, and doing promotional art. When he was asked for his thoughts on a replacement he thought of Andru. Of course in hindsight we see how those two issues had an effect on the book,  but the owners of DC were making a whole slew of bad decisions at that time. 

Interesting. I have not had a chance to read it yet. Your comments on having the book grounded in reality and so forth makes me wonder if DC was reacting to Marvel and the impact they were having with characters who had some real issues, and arguments with their team (thinking Fantastic Four here).

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 12/2/2023 at 9:54 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Interesting. I have not had a chance to read it yet. Your comments on having the book grounded in reality and so forth makes me wonder if DC was reacting to Marvel and the impact they were having with characters who had some real issues, and arguments with their team (thinking Fantastic Four here).

I always thought 179 was an interesting book that took a different direction and put an interesting take on breaking the 4th wall with the Flash meeting our very own Julius Schwartz in our reality.

On 12/5/2023 at 8:38 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Actually think it maybe issue 7#, I think the 4 showcases smoothly lead into 105. They set the characters, the scene and 105 just flows on.

Good point! I was just thinking of the Flash's main title and not his four Showcase issues...

On 12/3/2023 at 5:27 PM, Jaylam said:

Forgot about this Flash connection in the movie "Catch Me If You Can".

I just watched this movie again. There are three different scenes where a small stack of Silver Age Flash comics are used. The last scene has a #179 on top which is contemporary with the time frame the scene was supposed to be taking place in. 

I found a link that goes through the Flash comics scenes, outlining what books were used. This is the link below.

How the Flash Helped Catch a Crook in Catch Me If You Can (cbr.com)

Edited by Jaylam

On 12/3/2023 at 1:54 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Oh absolutely. By 1967 it was obvious that Marvel was killing them. The two business models were so very different. DC's editors each went in different directions. DC was in fact appealing to several different markets with little crossover. The sales figures that came in were often inaccurate and late. Hard to reflect what was working. Goodman at Marvel actually knew his books but the guys making decisions in DC, the owners above the editors,  were more interested in other parts of the business. Frankly if the merchandising of Superman, Batman had not been there the whole DC thing may have been just wound down and the creative people like Infantino and Gil Kane, Broome etc would have been poached leaving a very poor substitute to Marvel.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:43 AM, Jaylam said:

This copy of Flash #105 sold last night on Heritage for $4,400. That's about $1,000 higher than the last several sales and the highest for this grade since 2017 (at least from the sources I could find). However, you go to a 7.0 and there have been no sales below $5,000 since 2015. I would have liked to have had this copy because of the date stamp on the cover, but this is a little too saucy for me as this book had a pretty strong result. Congrats to whoever won it.

image.thumb.png.3414521061459ee920d2b2ef687b6a89.png

A really solid copy! 7.0 and above are rare and highly sought after. For the average collector this would probably be about the best you could get. Congrats to whomever won! That's worth a whole bunch of dancing bananas!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: