• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,849 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2023 at 5:22 AM, flashlites said:

Classic cover! I will have to read this story again its been many, many years :cloud9: - I know why I would crack something out of a CGC case, if you would share with us maybe why you did with this one? And also maybe later give some tips on the best way to this? They seem to be stuck in there pretty good. --- anyway Flash 112 at 7.5! That's worth at least 3 dancing bananas right Flash fans!? :banana::banana::banana:  Congratulations!!!

Thanks! I generally enjoy reading books I purchase, and when I first got back into collecting in 2000 I cracked out every CGC-slabbed book I bought.

Nowadays I tend not to crack out the more expensive books I buy (my Flash #123, for instance), but this book fell below a price threshold I set for cracking out books and I really wanted to read it.

It was in an older-generation holder so it was much easier to crack out than books in the newest generation of holders. I just used a screwdriver gently inserted into the upper right corner of the slab (right next to the post) to "crack the seal", and then worked my way down the slab along the right edge. Once I got the inner well out I used scissors to carefully cut between the weld and the right edge of the book (I always do the right edge to avoid any potential stress on the spine) and then did the same at the top of the book to make it easy to free from the inner well.

These are some books bought recently (the top two) and two others yet to be filed. I had been chasing the boomer cover for a couple of years after I had missed it due to the listing somehow not being captured by my search !! You have to love Digger's persistence with those giant space going boomerangs. The other, the 130 edition I knew existed but in over 6 years of searching, like the 140 had never seen it. There also was a 145 but I had already picked it up and that was the 3rd or 4th I have seen. I had that as a kid and for some reason there are more of it around. Had seen basically nothing for nearly a year or more, searching every day morning and night, then wham. Four in around 3 weeks. !!   ...... and again nothing. However this will keep me motivated to keep on looking.

DSC03464.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

Given how rare these are this grouping gets the rare quadruple dancing bananas! :banana::banana::banana::banana: Love seeing those Wonder Comics and Worlds Finest!!! Thank you for sharing Terry! You got your lovable rogues there on 2 of the covers! That # 102 had to be a favorite Down Under back in the day?

Edited by flashlites

On 9/8/2023 at 9:57 PM, flashlites said:

That # 102 had to be a favorite Down Under back in the day?

Yeah a great cover. Something about Diggers obsession with giant boomerangs, They turned up again in Cinfs final run. By then they were that big they were basically a space ship. As an Australian it was nice to have Digger Harkness, and Broome was pretty good and not as over the top, corny, as many other Americans have been when doing Australians.

On 9/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, Math Teacher said:

Flash #174 CGC 8.0 from Ebay.

This is the last book that I needed to obtain my Flash collection. I now have all the first appearances of Flash's Rogues Gallery (SC #8, #13, #14; Flash #105, #106, #110, #113, #117, #122, #128, #139, #140), all the Trickster covers (Flash #113, #121, #129, #130, #142, #152), two classic covers (Flash #155, Flash 174 - IMHO), and two major keys (SC #4, Flash #123). I am patiently waiting for @joeypost to press Flash #139 (along with three other books) and then it will be transferred to CGC for grading.

I started this goal sometime in 2021, and now I am finished. :golfclap:

Flash174.thumb.jpg.b1668f2fe661f28576ced3302855e6da.jpg

Now that's some serious collecting. Congrats on putting together a set with those iconic issues! :cheers:

On 9/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, Math Teacher said:

Flash #174 CGC 8.0 from Ebay.

This is the last book that I needed to obtain my Flash collection. I now have all the first appearances of Flash's Rogues Gallery (SC #8, #13, #14; Flash #105, #106, #110, #113, #117, #122, #128, #139, #140), all the Trickster covers (Flash #113, #121, #129, #130, #142, #152), two classic covers (Flash #155, Flash 174 - IMHO), and two major keys (SC #4, Flash #123). I am patiently waiting for @joeypost to press Flash #139 (along with three other books) and then it will be transferred to CGC for grading.

I started this goal sometime in 2021, and now I am finished. :golfclap:

Flash174.thumb.jpg.b1668f2fe661f28576ced3302855e6da.jpg

:banana::banana::banana::banana:  Awesome book! And wow in 8.0! That's gotta be worth 4 dancing bananas!!! Can't wait to see the 139! Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

On 11/9/2023 at 8:57 PM, silverseeker said:

Another cracked-out CGC 7.0...this one with snow-white pages! It's always a beautiful thing when an early-60s DC has white pages...

Flash119.thumb.jpg.bd8c3f73f6f8ca843811457d95d1a0dd.jpg

Mirror maser is a unique villain 👍‼️

On 9/3/2023 at 3:00 AM, silverseeker said:

Cracked-out CGC 7.5...love this cover, and jazzed to finally land a copy!

Flash112.thumb.jpg.fa208ce5e207d9c629d6a16e5ba8df44.jpg

Like❤️❤️this cover👍always liked early Flash covers😊