• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2023 at 8:58 AM, Math Teacher said:

Flash Friends, I need someone to do me a favor.

Currently on Ebay, there is a CGC 7.5 copy of Flash #174 for sale. Prior to leaving on our vacation, I offered the seller $140 for the book, which was promptly rejected. I had mentioned that a CGC 9.2 had sold for $340 in March, 2023, and I questioned if he was really serious about selling the book. Because of this, the seller has blocked me from bidding on this book.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385854283676

So, this is what I am asking. Could someone PLEASE place a bid of $150 for this book for me? I will pay pack the total cost of the purchase of this book, as well as the cost of shipping the book to me. In addition, I will include an additional $10 for your time and trouble.

If any of you could help me, I will be eternally grateful. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I am in Australia so out of the question, but hoping someone here can help.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 8/2/2023 at 9:52 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I will place a bid for $150. Let’s see how this goes!

It should go well, at least based on the last tracked sale of a CGC 7.5, as Go Collect has that at $69 last year. Pretty surprising and downright petty that the seller would not consider an offer of double that amount much less block future bids. I recall putting in an offer for a Flash book on Comic Connect last year. I forget the exact details but the offer was for 10 or 20 dollars less than the seller was asking. Again the ask price was substantially higher than what the book had been selling for.  A few months later the book switched to an auction and sold for about half of what I offered.

As an aside I will be sending a few comic books to Bradenton FL shortly. My wife and I spent last weekend camping with her relatives who were visiting us. They live in Bradenton. They have a boy who is 11, and I think he will appreciate some comic books. :wishluck:

On 8/3/2023 at 7:56 AM, frozentundraguy said:

It should go well, at least based on the last tracked sale of a CGC 7.5, as Go Collect has that at $69 last year. Pretty surprising and downright petty that the seller would not consider an offer of double that amount much less block future bids. I recall putting in an offer for a Flash book on Comic Connect last year. I forget the exact details but the offer was for 10 or 20 dollars less than the seller was asking. Again the ask price was substantially higher than what the book had been selling for.  A few months later the book switched to an auction and sold for about half of what I offered.

As an aside I will be sending a few comic books to Bradenton FL shortly. My wife and I spent last weekend camping with her relatives who were visiting us. They live in Bradenton. They have a boy who is 11, and I think he will appreciate some comic books. :wishluck:

We’ve lived in the Bradenton area for 8 years and really like it. Bat City Comics is where I like to go. 

146 has a story within a story. A chapter on how Iris and Barry develop which started back in 136. Iris knowing how smart Barry is, but feeling he is underperforming in his life (don't forget by 1960s standard Iris was very successful for a woman but clearly aspirational,) tells him last page in 136, that she has signed him up for a self improvement course and of course that sets the scene. Some of my favourite Flash stories have this Iris underlay.

Well, I missed out on the Flash #174 CGC 7.5 book on Ebay, as it sold for $152.50. Thank you to @GrasshopperFF for trying to help me. Also, thank you to @KCOComics for offering to help me. It's probably for the best, as $152.50 is way too much for this book. I will just have to keep looking. :wishluck:

On 8/5/2023 at 6:24 AM, Jaylam said:

Yeah, seems kind of odd that book sold for that considering the last reported sale of a 7.5 was $69. That $152.50 is an all-time high for a copy in that grade which seems like an outlier and goes against the recent trend of a fall back in prices for most books except for a certain few.

That sale of $152 and 50 cents does seem surprising and indicates that one determined buyer wanted it very badly. "Kudos" to the seller for eking out an extra 12 bucks from the sale. :sumo:lol

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 8/3/2023 at 4:02 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I did not have any Flash books with July cover dates. Lets see some with August dates.

This book was an LCS pickup quite a while ago, and a cool Grodd cover to boot.

scan0334.jpg

Flash was a bi-monthly book, I do not believe there are any "July" dated books from this era. I will have to go back through the archives to see when the first July book was printed. It may be the later in the 70's. Any other Flash fan out there know right off hand?

Edited by flashlites

On 8/5/2023 at 9:06 AM, flashlites said:

Flash was a bi-monthly book, I do not believe there are any "July" dated books from this era. I will have to go back through the archives to see when the first July book was printed. I may be the later in the 70's. Any other Flash fan out there know right off hand?

A check of the GCD shows issue #251 is the first issue with a July date on the cover.

I have been AWOL from this thread fans for months now. It's great to see and catch up on all the activity. Loved seeing you all help each other out on the Ebay thing! And of course sharing all these classic covers! I just watched this again recently and I have forgotten now if I've shared this before but here goes Two great youtube videos to enjoy:

Edited by flashlites