• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,852 posts in this topic

Man how the Flash market has changed in a few years.

In 2006 I sold the Western Penn Flash 129 for $5676 (including Heritage`s BP). At the time it was the highest graded copy in the Census, as the only 9.4 copy.

In 2010 it resold on Heritage for $1314.

Yesterday it resold on Heritage for $956, and might`ve gone for even less if I hadn`t put in the underbid.

So this is what the appearance of 12 other 9.4 copies and 7 higher graded copies will do to a market.

Man how the Flash market has changed in a few years.

In 2006 I sold the Western Penn Flash 129 for $5676 (including Heritage`s BP). At the time it was the highest graded copy in the Census, as the only 9.4 copy.

In 2010 it resold on Heritage for $1314.

Yesterday it resold on Heritage for $956, and might`ve gone for even less if I hadn`t put in the underbid.

So this is what the appearance of 12 other 9.4 copies and 7 higher graded copies will do to a market.

that was the book i was just trying to think of when i was just PM'ing someone else. yeesh, that's more than an 80% haircut from the peak.

So let me begin by apologizing if this has been covered elsewhere, but I thought that this would be the appropriate place to ask this question.

Which early Silver Age flash issue - 105 or Showcase 8 - do you prefer and why?

While Showcase 8 has comparatively crude cover art and only has one major Rogue Gallery intro (Captain Cold) while Flash 105 has two (Super Gorilla Grodd and Mirror Master), I'd still prize Showcase 8 more highly than Flash 105 because it's so much more difficult to find.

:preach:

I remember that a Heritage auction around that time had many different early Flash issues that ended up fetching mind boggling prices. (I just shook my head in amazement at the time.) Were a lot of these yours?

???

While Showcase 8 has comparatively crude cover art and only has one major Rogue Gallery intro (Captain Cold) while Flash 105 has two (Super Gorilla Grodd and Mirror Master), I'd still prize Showcase 8 more highly than Flash 105 because it's so much more difficult to find.

:preach:

+1

I remember that a Heritage auction around that time had many different early Flash issues that ended up fetching mind boggling prices. (I just shook my head in amazement at the time.) Were a lot of these yours?

???

They were ALL mine.

Edited by tth2

I put in what I thought were "reasonable" bids on the #111, 116, 120, 126, 127 and 133 at the time and scratched my head as I watched my bids being annihilated. In retrospect, I guess I was "right" since the price of these comics has subsequently dropped. I don't know whether to congratulate you or not though. Sure, you sold out near/at the peak, but now you don't have these fabulous comics.

How did you feel at the time seeing the prices those Flashes fetched? Were you simply so elated that any bewilderment or surprise you might have felt was suppressed?

I keep wondering though whether the buyers were individual collectors positively determined to fill in the remaining holes in their collections, or "investors" thinking they could still flip the comics for an even higher price. If the latter, I don't pity them at all.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

Oh actually Hepcat flash 105 also features one character from the rogues mirror master, grodd comes in next issue

Yes, my mistake. Strange though that Grodd scored not a single cover in the Grodd trilogy in issues #106-108.

(shrug)

I put in what I thought were "reasonable" bids on the #111, 116, 120, 126, 127 and 133 at the time and scratched my head as I watched my bids being annihilated. In retrospect, I guess I was "right" since the price of these comics has subsequently dropped. I don't know whether to congratulate you or not though. Sure, you sold out near/at the peak, but now you don't have these fabulous comics.

How did you feel at the time seeing the prices those Flashes fetched? Were you simply so elated that any bewilderment or surprise you might have felt was suppressed?

I was elated and shocked at how strong the prices were.

I keep wondering though whether the buyers were individual collectors positively determined to fill in the remaining holes in their collections, or "investors" thinking they could still flip the comics for an even higher price. If the latter, I don't pity them at all.

(shrug)

My impression is most were bought by genuine collectors. I`ve seen very few resurface for sale.