• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2022 at 11:15 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's books.  19, 108, and the Special to go.  And right now I don't have any of the missing issues on order, but we'll see what happens after payday.

Vampirella_052.jpg

Vampirella_103.jpg

Vampirella_104.jpg

Vampirella_105.jpg

Nice work, OE!  It's a lot of fun watching you knocking these down like this.  Almost like vicariously collecting them all again!   :headbang:

On 6/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, Escaflown41 said:

So are you down for a 2nd complete run? :insane: 

I was actually getting close at one point!  I still have the one complete set but I've been seduced by other mags lately.  Still fun to watch others complete their runs, though.  (thumbsu

Are you guys aware of an ink transfer issue with Vampi #5? On the backs of some of these it looks as though they may have been stacked wet after printing? The back covers of a few I was looking at today look dirty. But then I looked at the back of my copy and its kinda the same. Looks more like ink than soiling.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:27 PM, flashlites said:

Are you guys aware of an ink transfer issue with Vampi #5? On the backs of some of these it looks as though they may have been stacked wet after printing? The back covers of a few I was looking at today look dirty. But then I looked at the back of my copy and its kinda the same. Looks more like ink than soiling.

This is the bane of collecting Warrens.  Many, many books have this problem and it's a factor of changing cover stock and inks used.  The worst ones are where the back cover is black and the front cover is white.  Those things are very tough to find without some transfer (Vampirella 34 and 50 are obvious examples).  

I can't say I've seen it more with Vampirella 5 than other books.  However, a lot of the earlier Warrens were printed with higher quality materials and seem less susceptible to this phenomenon.  2c

On 6/17/2022 at 4:27 PM, flashlites said:

The back of my #5 is pretty clean...

large.1550415865_VAMPIRELLA5B.jpg.aca91d3cc7359f7976640966b2203520.jpg

On 6/21/2022 at 11:12 PM, OtherEric said:

And still waiting on the #19 from Canada I mentioned in the last post... last tracking update showed it in LA 5 days ago, further away from me than where it started.  We'll see how long it takes to finally show up.  Meanwhile, this arrived today:

Vampirella_Special.jpg

That one seems like it's going to be tough to find under $50 too.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:45 PM, Axe Elf said:

That one seems like it's going to be tough to find under $50 too.

I think it’s the rarest Warren Vampirella, unless you’re counting the hardcover separately… then the hardcover is rarest and the softcover is second.  After that I would say the annual, 113(not technically Warren) and 3 are next rarest in that order, then 112-101 in roughly reverse order

Edited by OtherEric

On 6/22/2022 at 12:23 PM, Axe Elf said:

I'm cataloguing the Special as a Warren Special Edition, rather than as part of the Vampirella run itself, but yeah, the Special and the Annual were the only ones that didn't come with the full run of Vampis I bought, and the Annual was tough to find under $50 as well.  I had heard that #3 was pretty rare too, but then someone else said that even despite its reputed rarity, there always seem to be copies available.  So I don't know, but I know my #3 looks GREAT!

large.1208688845_VAMPIRELLA3F.jpg.c0ef7c158510c256dd3621b19c2926ba.jpg

I think #3 got its reputation for rareness because for most of the original run it and the annual were the only two issues not available directly from Warren, and I do think it's less common than most of the run.  But it's not nearly as rare as its reputation suggests.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:12 PM, OtherEric said:

And still waiting on the #19 from Canada I mentioned in the last post... last tracking update showed it in LA 5 days ago, further away from me than where it started.  We'll see how long it takes to finally show up.  Meanwhile, this arrived today:

Vampirella_Special.jpg

Is that a soft cover?