• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,388 posts in this topic

now that, my friend, is a group shot to talk about. i figure 2011 will bring you that fantastic 3, buddy.

I hope so, but if I do it won't be as nice as your copy. I doubt I could afford much better than a 2.0. The prices on Fantastic 3 seem pretty high relative to Fine's other great covers, probably due to Metro's hoarding. :(

With the addition of this Hit 5 I am one step closer to completing my top 5 Lou Fine covers. All that's left is Fantastic 3, which should be no problem. meh

hit5.jpg

grp.jpg

(worship)

I hear that Metro has a few copies of Fantastic 3. :whistle:

I've only got one Lou Fine Hit so far (another Red Bee cover), but hoping to snag more next year. I can see why these are on your top 5 list; do you rank your faves in any particular order?

That's a tough one. I think I would say...

1. Fantastic 3

2. Wonderworld 7

3. Hit 5

4. National 7

5. Science 2

...though the top 3 are basically interchangeable. What are your favorite Fine's?

My favorite Fine covers are Hits #1, 5, 7, 17 ...Wonderworld #7 & 8 ...and National #7 and 16. Note: I just added that National #7 to my growing list of desirable Fine books (%#$@$$&) after eye-balling your copy.

As a side note, while I revere Fine's covers I'm also impressed by Crandall's Hit covers featuring Stormy Foster (aka "re-imagining Errol Flynn as a costumed hero"), because to my artist's eye Reed Crandall had a grasp of perspective and anatomy that's second to none among comic artists of the era.

Still, what's not to love about Lou Fine's covers and interior art? The fluidity of his stylized line work is phenomenal, ...dare I say unique among GA artists.

Here is my one Lou Fine cover (hey, ya gotta start somewhere, right?)...

hitcomics_1.jpg

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Here is my one Lou Fine cover (hey, ya gotta start somewhere, right?)...

hitcomics_1.jpg

That's a beauty (thumbs u

None listed for sale though. How big is the hoard supposed to be?

I recall seeing six (?) copies of Fantastic #3 when I visited Metropolis back in July; no idea of condition. At least that's the first thing I remember eye-balling in a display case while awaiting the retrieval of a beguiling Phantom Lady. Of course, Metro may have more copies of Fantastic #3 in their vault. :gossip:

Keep in mind that my recollection is a little vague here. My senses were being inundated by a variety of "shiny objects" that would turn any collector into a drooling puddle of jelly. smiley-excited002.gif

Truth is, I probably asked about their impressive grouping of Fantastic #3, but my attention was diverted by other things. Maybe someone else knows the real story behind Metropolis presumed "stockpile" of Fantastic #3. All I can say is that it was impressive.

Edited by DavidMerryweather

None listed for sale though. How big is the hoard supposed to be?

I think Metro has a display of Fantastic 3's in their showroom, but none for sale. I guess Steve Fishler likes that book.