• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

A week or so ago I was browsing Metro and saw a newly-listed Hit 17 VF. No scan, so I planned to call in the AM and ask for a scan. Needless to say it was gone by the AM. So I drowned my sorrows with this one instead. Hoping others will post their early Hits too!

152941.jpg.732a21ac33d195e4495e6090ed88cb98.jpg

Also noticed 2 other Hits from this period in the current HA auction - they both have the nearly identical "$3.00" in black grease pen in the logo. Coincidence? hm

Edited by mrmyst

A week or so ago I was browsing Metro and saw a newly-listed Hit 17 VF. No scan, so I planned to call in the AM and ask for a scan. Needless to say it was gone by the AM. So I drowned my sorrows with this one instead. Hoping others will post their early Hits too!
Nice! Sometimes you gamble and get lucky, other times you have to just strike while the iron is hot. I only have one Hit currently (#7 skull cover)which i have posted many times, though one of my most prized covers it's been posted a lot, so i won't bore you all with that one again lol

But i'm sure other boardies will share theirs.

This one is extra cool, as it gives us a full name, address, age and location of when and where the books were accumulated

our%20gang%2037_zpstmn3bxws.jpg

our%20gang%2037%20bc_zpssicrtoul.jpg

Kind of interesting that he was still reading Our Gang at 14.

Of course, I still read them, and I'm a lot older than that! :D

Such a great cover.

Also noticed 2 other Hits from this period in the current HA auction - they both have the nearly identical "$3.00" in black grease pen in the logo. Coincidence? hm

I would they have the same origin.

Years ago there was a used bookstore in the tenderloin district of San Francisco. It was a pretty good source of mid-grade late GA until one day he got an early edition of Overstreet. He immediately jacked up his prices to Overstreet mint ... and wrote the prices in black market on the front covers. doh!

1st purchase of the year

awbxqh.jpg

Well I guess thats what I get for playing around on EPay. Threw in a lowball offer and they accepted. Not that I'm really complaining :)

Nice colors on that one!

16106166425_2df22d0528_b.jpgThis is kind of a mix of bits and pieces. Hit 5 is just a copy.

Hit 15 is actually 12 covering a copy of Hit 15.

2249204865_d216495551_z.jpg6996402383_d26466ff21_z.jpg

I think that the original art is owned by Jon Berk.

Edited by BB-Gun

..... many Lou Fine covers are considered classics..... but two of my very favorites don't have the designation, HIT 17 and National 16....maybe I just have bad taste. The only one I'd put higher is, of course, Fantastic 3 ...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Jeez I'm getting the fever for those books again - thanks for posting those. The original art for the cover to #17 is, I believe, posted on Jim Halperin's CAF page.

You are probably right. I just don't remember where the picture came from and I always assume the original belongs to Berk. :blush:

..... many Lou Fine covers are considered classics..... but two of my very favorites don't have the designation, HIT 17 and National 16....maybe I just have bad taste. The only one I'd put higher is, of course, Fantastic 3 ...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Howard Keltner told me he thought Hit 15-17 all had covers by Fine but many others think that Eisner and Crandall did some of the art.

I prefer to agree with Howard.

2647666617_a9052c031a_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Jeez I'm getting the fever for those books again - thanks for posting those. The original art for the cover to #17 is, I believe, posted on Jim Halperin's CAF page.

You are probably right. I just don't remember where the picture came from and I always assume the original belongs to Berk. :blush:

Jon certainly does have some incredible Fine originals.