• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

..... many Lou Fine covers are considered classics..... but two of my very favorites don't have the designation, HIT 17 and National 16....maybe I just have bad taste. The only one I'd put higher is, of course, Fantastic 3 ...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Howard Keltner told me he thought Hit 15-17 all had covers by Fine but many others think that Eisner and Crandall did some of the art.

I prefer to agree with Howard.

2647666617_a9052c031a_z.jpg

+ 1.........GOD BLESS....

...the 17 is so obviously Fine ......

A week or so ago I was browsing Metro and saw a newly-listed Hit 17 VF. No scan, so I planned to call in the AM and ask for a scan. Needless to say it was gone by the AM. So I drowned my sorrows with this one instead. Hoping others will post their early Hits too!

16106166425_2df22d0528_b.jpgThis is kind of a mix of bits and pieces. Hit 5 is just a copy.

Hit 15 is actually 12 covering a copy of Hit 15.

2249204865_d216495551_z.jpg6996402383_d26466ff21_z.jpg

I think that the original art is owned by Jon Berk.

Unfortunately not.....but I do have the Planet 1 cover......

..... many Lou Fine covers are considered classics..... but two of my very favorites don't have the designation, HIT 17 and National 16....maybe I just have bad taste. The only one I'd put higher is, of course, Fantastic 3 ...... GOD BLESS...

Howard Keltner told me he thought Hit 15-17 all had covers by Fine but many others think that Eisner and Crandall did some of the art.

I prefer to agree with Howard.

2647666617_a9052c031a_z.jpg

Most of the HIT covers through #17 look like Lou Fine's style to me.

Crandall did most of the covers from 18 through 24 (HIT 18 is signed by Crandall, 19, 20 & 24 look a lot like his work; 22 is obviously Gill Fox).

Eisner may have had a hand in #23 (there are several key points of similarity to his style)...

771392df-d14a-4b35-8ced-60697b13ae18_zpsd9325a4e.jpg

This is a wild guess, but Rudy Palais may have done the cover to #21 (based on the snapshot-like characteristics of his style that are present here)...

03827351-1017-4df4-8d12-2a5a26dd02cc_zps955f3a23.jpg

A week or so ago I was browsing Metro and saw a newly-listed Hit 17 VF. No scan, so I planned to call in the AM and ask for a scan. Needless to say it was gone by the AM. So I drowned my sorrows with this one instead. Hoping others will post their early Hits too!

16106166425_2df22d0528_b.jpgThis is kind of a mix of bits and pieces. Hit 5 is just a copy.

Hit 15 is actually 12 covering a copy of Hit 15.

2249204865_d216495551_z.jpg6996402383_d26466ff21_z.jpg

I think that the original art is owned by Jon Berk.

Unfortunately not.....but I do have the Planet 1 cover......

Which you were kind enough to bring over to my house a few years ago :)

Miscut and pieces out = affordable. I've been looking for a decent lower grade copy for a long time. Was sold as a VG-, crossed my fingers that the grade was harsh, and for once, I was pleasantly surprised. O happy day!

BaseballComics01fc100_zpsmqa0soaq.jpg

BaseballComics01bc100_zpsua8xacrw.jpg

Classic Eisner cover. How are the innards? I've never had a copy.

Miscut and pieces out = affordable. I've been looking for a decent lower grade copy for a long time. Was sold as a VG-, crossed my fingers that the grade was harsh, and for once, I was pleasantly surprised. O happy day!

Great book Dr.! I picked up a similar copy at Wonder Con last year pretty cheap. An impulse buy. A great read cover to cover. (I am a big baseball fan so it wasn't hard). Love Eisner.

Glad you got those Bill. That Comic Cavalcade is a tough one for that title. I have two that he filled out a coupon in. Nice to know where they came from. I guess when he moved to the west coast he brought them with him. But what I heard, he was a very strange "horder" type of guy. Joe showed me some books he had where Paul wrote when and where he got them, and how much he paid. A couple said that he "purloined" (stole) them. There were a ton of pulps, other magazines and loads of books and sci-fi fanzines. The collection ran up untill about 8 years ago. Like the Church collection, the family "wanted them gone". I think Jim has a nice Wacky Duck #4 (infinity cover) that has his full name on the cover.

It's the back story that makes them even cooler :cloud9:

Thanks for the additional info Bob

I've loved seeing you two gather up the Pauls...i can feel.The love and excitement!

Picking this up during the week from a friend, her boyfriend found it in a box of old books, it was the only comic in there and she asked me if I wanted to buy it. Very excited as it's my 1st wartime DC book, and paid for with profits from a load of Ultimate Fallout #4s I bought for 50 cents each :grin:

<a  href=SUPERMAN-23_zpsd9ce699a.jpg' alt='SUPERM

Great book Dr.! I picked up a similar copy at Wonder Con last year pretty cheap. An impulse buy. A great read cover to cover. (I am a big baseball fan so it wasn't hard). Love Eisner.

Unfortunately, despite the back cover ad, there apparently was never a second issue. Someday a group of artists and writers should take it upon themselves to produce many of the comics that through the years were advertised but never actually published. Kind of like the Sherlock fans who have written stories based on cases that Watson mentioned but never wrote about.

Picking this up during the week from a friend, her boyfriend found it in a box of old books, it was the only comic in there and she asked me if I wanted to buy it. Very excited as it's my 1st wartime DC book, and paid for with profits from a load of Ultimate Fallout #4s I bought for 50 cents each :grin:

<a  href=SUPERMAN-23_zpsd9ce699a.jpg' alt='SUPERM

So how much did you pay for it? :wink: