• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,393 posts in this topic

Thanks fellas!!! I kinda needed that day :) Oh ..... I got THIS too, but this deal was done in advance. Just needed to exchange cash for book. Thanks again R.J. :headbang:

National%207_zpse2ksv4oj.jpg

Nobody lays down smack like Uncle Sam! One of the best covers in the run (and there were many) .

Thanks fellas!!! I kinda needed that day :) Oh ..... I got THIS too, but this deal was done in advance. Just needed to exchange cash for book. Thanks again R.J. :headbang:

Nobody lays down smack like Uncle Sam! One of the best covers in the run (and there were many) .

That is mighty Fine!!!!! beautiful example of a true classic!!! :applause:

Whoa, a book rarely offered for sale - nice copy, too! :applause:

I've ALWAYS loved this cover, but once I saw the inside, it was a done deal!! Nick Cardy's work on Quicksilver surprised me!! I didn't know he was around that long ago (shrug) Thanks to Russ getting ANOTHER copy, I was able to grab his under copy :) Seriously, smiles all around :cloud9:

Love that Action, Jimmy! So much fun to find it at a little local show. If only he had a stack like that one..

Thanks Russell :) Sometimes we get lucky & finding something this cool 5 miles away from my house was an unexpected treat (not as big a treat as thumbing up that FRISCO, but a treat nonetheless) :headbang: Maybe he'll turn up some MORE good gold (shrug) He certainly likes cash-paying customers ..... :hi:

That is mighty Fine!!!!! beautiful example of a true classic!!! :applause:

Thanks pal :) It's my first copy of that book (thumbs u

What show was that? I may have to start going to some of the smaller shows. Congrats on the pickups. And they are raw so we can all thumb through them at the next meet-up! I want to read that National.

Mermaid show Tim :) Most of the time, it's just an excuse for Russ & I to grab lunch, but every once in a while ya find something :) They ARE raw & I'm leaning that way now-a-days, but make no mistake my friend, that book won't be tossed around like a takeout menu ;):baiting: You're gonna LOVE the pq on that one .... may even make you want to crack a few of yours out :o

Whoa, a book rarely offered for sale - nice copy, too! :applause:

Thanks Steve! I had a feeling you'd be one to dig it. I wish you could see the pages, you'd be in heaven :cloud9: Probably straight white .... off white/white at the very least :sumo: Russ doesn't buy chipitty books.

From the last Heritage auction. I just thought it was pretty...

starspangled28.jpg

...pretty cheap.

Great book! Strange what's happened to S&K. When I first started collecting in the 1960s, like a lot of people, I worked backward from Kirby's FF and Thor books to his Marvel/Atlas fantasy and then back to 1950s and 1940s S&K books.

They were by far the most collectible GA artists. It would be hard to think of who would be in second place. For instance, I don't have a clear recollection of people making much distinction between the Timely covers Schomburg drew and those drawn by Shores or other artists. Perhaps others have different recollections.

Nowadays, S&K books seem among the few GA books selling below guide. I've picked up some of their Harvey books very cheap lately. For the most part, the stories and art still appeal to me.

Be interesting to see if at some point the wheel spins again and their number comes back up.

Can I post this in here? I don't know where the platinum thread went. Got this out of Heritage a few weeks back. When my new supplies come in, this is coming out to play :)

lf%2012_zps4peuh7tj.jpg

Great book. Given how their grades get hammered, cover or cf detached books can be real bargains.

Can I post this in here? I don't know where the platinum thread went. Got this out of Heritage a few weeks back. When my new supplies come in, this is coming out to play :)

lf%2012_zps4peuh7tj.jpg

:frustrated:

I was bidding on that one and planned to win, but somehow lost track of it.

Oh well, at least it is in the geek family

lf%2012_zps4peuh7tj.jpg

Great book. Given how their grades get hammered, cover or cf detached books can be real bargains.

Thanks, I agree. The cover colors on this are amazing! Everyone who's seen it (about a half dozen people) have thought it looks way better than a g/vg. I got it under guide too :headbang:

lf%2012_zps4peuh7tj.jpg

:frustrated:

I was bidding on that one and planned to win, but somehow lost track of it.

Oh well, at least it is in the geek family

I'm glad you lost track of it Billbo .... no need making each other pay more for it ;)

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Thank you very much (yeah, I had my Elvis voice going when I wrote it doh! ) :D

lf%2012_zps4peuh7tj.jpg

That's one heckava 3.0. I don't believe I've ever seen a CGC 3.0 look as beautiful as that copy. Never heard of the title but I wouldn't mind owning one.

:cloud9:(worship)