• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

Couldn't resist picking up this obscure pair in last night's CLink auction.

RADE8305201662_15398_zpsm3n44wzt.jpg

RAD885EB201662_153948_zpsdsbgszsq.jpg

Those are very tough giants. I got mine really cheap because of lack of content. I just wanted to finish the run of Giant Comics Editions. Hardly ever see them. Nice to have Crippens on those.

Those are very tough giants. I got mine really cheap because of lack of content. I just wanted to finish the run of Giant Comics Editions. Hardly ever see them. Nice to have Crippens on those.

Yeah, CGC couldn't come up with dates, but I think they were both published in 1940. I'm not sure what was up with United Features. They seem to have published a few random books from time to time. Probably the most desirable is the Peanuts 1 from 1953.

These two aren't (I don't think, but I could be wrong) connected with the later St John series with a similar name.

Would this one qualify?

combluebeetle54_zpsfle4ijzx.jpg

I've always thought that's a bit of an artist's error. He just seems to have neglected to draw the her bra straps on her back. hm

Probably correct.

If it was a modern drawing you could argue it was a wing bra I guess. Not sure what they had in that era other than women wore to much clothing for me. lol

Yeah, CGC couldn't come up with dates, but I think they were both published in 1940. I'm not sure what was up with United Features. They seem to have published a few random books from time to time. Probably the most desirable is the Peanuts 1 from 1953.

These two aren't (I don't think, but I could be wrong) connected with the later St John series with a similar name.

GCD thinks they are all published by St John. These two are the start of the series published in 1948.

http://www.comics.org/series/20250/covers/

Would this one qualify?

I've always thought that's a bit of an artist's error. He just seems to have neglected to draw the her bra straps on her back. hm

I suspect it wasn't an error. It was done for Fox who was pushing the limits and it was done for a cover where both the artist and editor/publisher were going to be more careful that it met their intentions. If it was just an interior panel, then I would think it likely it was an error.

GCD thinks they are all published by St John. These two are the start of the series published in 1948.

http://www.comics.org/series/20250/covers/

Interesting. Overstreet has the Mighty Mouse Giant as the first issue in the St John series. I've seen copies of that one, although I don't think I've ever owned one. He has an Abbie and Slats Giant as the second issue. I don't know if I've ever seen one.

He lists these two as a separate series with UFS as the publisher. I'm not sure where I got the 1940 date from. Must have seen a reference to it somewhere.

UFS as a publisher is interesting. Presumably the characters in these books were from UFS strips. Perhaps they stipulated that these books be published under their name and not the actual publisher's name.

The Peanuts 1953 UFS one-shot has always intrigued me. Seems like a Dell book to me, but again maybe UFS required that no other publisher be listed. hm

Would this one qualify?

I suspect it wasn't an error. It was done for Fox who was pushing the limits and it was done for a cover where both the artist and editor/publisher were going to be more careful that it met their intentions. If it was just an interior panel, then I would think it likely it was an error.

I think it's more that the woman has already removed her bra and the reflection in the mirror simply hasn't caught up to her actions yet.

Ken

Would this one qualify?

I think it's more that the woman has already removed her bra and the reflection in the mirror simply hasn't caught up to her actions yet.

She's fully topless, but has a bra-shaped tattoo on her front torso. When she saves enough money she'll finish it on her back.

Would this one qualify?

She's fully topless, but has a bra-shaped tattoo on her front torso. When she saves enough money she'll finish it on her back.

:signfunny:

7F3D2067-49D5-497F-84E4-4BC9A3515199_zpsao6oht7e.jpg

Another Phantom Lady gets covered in Mylar and goes in the box :banana:

I know boxes are for wimps, but I don't have any of the spinny racks anymore :eyeroll:

Very cool! I'm down to that one, #14 and 3 Blue Beetles to finish off my late Fox collection. I got what I really want the most so it comes down to finding a presentable copy that people like me and fifties can afford...