• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Eisner owned The Spirit. I have always been curious why he didn't have a problem with Busy Arnold copying his character.

I don't think he liked it.  Jack Cole supposedly checked with Eisner before working on Midnight but I don't think Eisner approved.  Rather he acknowledged he knew what was going on.  My impression is that Arnold and Eisner's partnership was "reasonable enough"  that Eisner overlooked this.  He had no real recourse other than walking away and probably didn't want to push things that far.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Just picked this one up from a boardie.  Does the cover look like S&K to anyone?  Someone imitating S&K? hm

imageproxy.php_zpsvxtldsqw.jpg

The faces of the Nazis look Kirbyesque. But weren't Simon and Kirby gone from Timely when this book was published?

P.S. Nice book.

43 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Just picked this one up from a boardie.  Does the cover look like S&K to anyone?  Someone imitating S&K? hm

imageproxy.php_zpsvxtldsqw.jpg

The faces of the Nazis look Kirbyesque. But weren't Simon and Kirby gone from Timely when this book was published?

Long gone, I think.  So I would guess this is either a repurposed S&K cover (unpublished?) or someone intentionally aping their style. 

3 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

I have found that comics in antique stores are usually overpriced.  Was this one overpriced, or reasonable?

Generally, I have found the same thing you have, but this was the exception to the rule. It was actually a bargain. But it's an outlier.

This particular shop specialized in military items; war comics are kind of ancillary acquisitions for them on occasion.

Just now, Readcomix said:

Generally, I have found the same thing you have, but this was the exception to the rule. It was actually a bargain. But it's an outlier.

This particular shop specialized in military items; war comics are kind of ancillary acquisitions for them on occasion.

Thanks.  Nice to know there are still some bargains out there...

Just now, tricolorbrian said:

I got this one at an antique store for 25 cents...but that was in 1974... lol

22053615608_f06264c48b_c.jpg

I need a time machine!

question about that Foxhole #1 I found -- Gerber says its a 4; seems less common than that to me. Is it just my anecdotal experience, or was Gerber light on that call?

8 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I need a time machine!

question about that Foxhole #1 I found -- Gerber says its a 4; seems less common than that to me. Is it just my anecdotal experience, or was Gerber light on that call?

Gerber was off on many things...use the scarcity index with a grain of salt...

I also got this in 1974 for 25cents...from the OO, and then had Kirby sign it...yeah, a time machine would be nice...that antique store had a box full of war comics for a quarter each, and i only bought two of them...:cry:

16573514482_b13b467935_c.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

2 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

Gerber was off on many things...use the scarcity index with a grain of salt...

I also got this in 1974 for 25cents...from the OO, and then had Kirby sign it...

16573514482_b13b467935_c.jpg

That is awesome cool!:applause:

I realize about Gerber; I keep the salt shaker next to them. I'm just wondering about anyone else's perspective on Foxholes -- are they common as  a 4 suggests and I just don't know it, or are they not seen that often, like I think?

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

That is awesome cool!:applause:

I realize about Gerber; I keep the salt shaker next to them. I'm just wondering about anyone else's perspective on Foxholes -- are they common as  a 4 suggests and I just don't know it, or are they not seen that often, like I think?

Look at ebay, then metro's website, then Payette's website, and if you don't see any I'd say they are scarcer than a 4... lol

13 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Copyright issue, maybe? hm

12 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Eisner owned The Spirit. I have always been curious why he didn't have a problem with Busy Arnold copying his character.

6 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I don't think he liked it.  Jack Cole supposedly checked with Eisner before working on Midnight but I don't think Eisner approved.  Rather he acknowledged he knew what was going on.  My impression is that Arnold and Eisner's partnership was "reasonable enough"  that Eisner overlooked this.  He had no real recourse other than walking away and probably didn't want to push things that far.

Thanks guys. Interesting stuff. I guess the beleaguered comics creators of the Golden Age really had zero recourse in protecting their intellectual property, even Eisner. Unless you were Robert Kahn, ? , Bob Kane.