• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It has not been pressed. It is not Canadian. I don't know why her hair is red honestly. It seems like it should have been read all along I've never understood why she's blonde with red highlights  since her hair is red almost everywhere else. 

Hi Rick, not 'pressed' -- I was asking if there could have been a plate alteration 'on press' (at the printing company) when the cover was being printed.

A quick stroll through the Heritage archives doesn't show any printing variants that looks like this.... but either there was a plate change on press (or some similar explanation...?), or the cover was hand-colored after printing. The book is obviously extremely well-preserved, so hand-coloring would be very weird. It's a mystery! Hope you'll share with us what CGC comes back with.

21 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Hi Rick, not 'pressed' -- I was asking if there could have been a plate alteration 'on press' (at the printing company) when the cover was being printed.

A quick stroll through the Heritage archives doesn't show any printing variants that looks like this.... but either there was a plate change on press (or some similar explanation...?), or the cover was hand-colored after printing. The book is obviously extremely well-preserved, so hand-coloring would be very weird. It's a mystery! Hope you'll share with us what CGC comes back with.

I absolutely will. I get it. Yeah, I have never seen one with the red hair like this either. I personally like it- A lot. It is not in my possession now and it will be some time before I know the answer because I am having it pressed.

39 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I absolutely will. I get it. Yeah, I have never seen one with the red hair like this either. I personally like it- A lot. It is not in my possession now and it will be some time before I know the answer because I am having it pressed.

(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It's going to be a pricey book either way if it's already in the range you stated. When you send it in to CGC I'd ask them to note it's a variant too. I think you have a good case if the book in person looks as different from the originals hair colour. If you plan on selling it based on the possible condition its in plus it being a variant you are probably looking at a book that will pay for a lot of other material for you. Don't think about posting it in one of sales threads either. That's clearly an auction book. Don't know what you paid but I think you got a nice bonus with it. (thumbsu

Thanks for posting something new (to me at least).

1 minute ago, N e r V said:
1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It's going to be a pricey book either way if it's already in the range you stated. When you send it in to CGC I'd ask them to note it's a variant too. I think you have a good case if the book in person looks as different from the originals hair colour. If you plan on selling it based on the possible condition its in plus it being a variant you are probably looking at a book that will pay for a lot of other material for you. Don't think about posting it in one of sales threads either. That's clearly an auction book. Don't know what you paid but I think you got a nice bonus with it. (thumbsu

Worth inquiring about, but I'd be surprised if they were willing to do this.

Be interesting to see what (if anything) they say about it.

29 minutes ago, N e r V said:

We will see how this goes. Maybe I missed some really well done CT? Hope not (shrug)

Rick, any chance you have a straight-on photo or scan of the book?

It's quite the brain teaser, because if it is CT why would someone do it? If it were done skillfully enough to get past you, it would seem to me to suggest something done later in the book's life, rather than something done at the time. But for that person to know the title well enough to know that her hair color 'should' be red, but not know enough not to draw on a high-grade cover...?  ???

A variant of this issue, though unlikely, would be too cool. We're pulling for you! 

You might have to hound Overstreet first. Way back in the late 80's I was bothering them to get Fantastic Four #110 colour variant in the guide. They sent back a reply that they don't note colouring errors. Things changed over time when collectors started paying a premium with known colour errors like it so it finally got noted. I understand the need not to note every colouring error in comics but if it's a well known one  like FF #110 or a significant colouring error like yours might be I think it's fair to note. I'd only be concerned that it is something else since the rest of the colouring looks correct. If it's legit, I'd say it is probably worth a premium.

36 minutes ago, N e r V said:

You might have to hound Overstreet first. Way back in the late 80's I was bothering them to get Fantastic Four #110 colour variant in the guide. They sent back a reply that they don't note colouring errors. Things changed over time when collectors started paying a premium with known colour errors like it so it finally got noted. I understand the need not to note every colouring error in comics but if it's a well known one  like FF #110 or a significant colouring error like yours might be I think it's fair to note. I'd only be concerned that it is something else since the rest of the colouring looks correct. If it's legit, I'd say it is probably worth a premium.

Superior was perhaps the only publisher to beat Charlton at the game of printing comics the cheapest so some variation like this isn't too surprising.  Neither company seemed to care too much about what their product actually looked like.

I do think it looks cool with red hair and I'm sure if it was color touch it would be very obvious.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Superior was perhaps the only publisher to beat Charlton at the game of printing comics the cheapest so some variation like this isn't too surprising.  Neither company seemed to care too much about what their product actually looked like.

I do think it looks cool with red hair and I'm sure if it was color touch it would be very obvious.

I agree - it's probably just a printing "defect".  Printers running out of the right color inks toward the tail end of a print run (or the initial printing before they corrected the color).  I say "defect" because it really isn't.  I'm sure many of us have seen this before....  Such as NERV's pink PT6.

48 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I agree - it's probably just a printing "defect".  Printers running out of the right color inks toward the tail end of a print run (or the initial printing before they corrected the color).  I say "defect" because it really isn't.  I'm sure many of us have seen this before....  Such as NERV's pink PT6.

I have to believe this is the case. We will see. It could end up having color touch and be worth so little I just hang onto it.  It could end up an 8.0 Universal and that could buy me a lot of Planet Comics or a Phantom Lady or two. Either way something I like will be in my collection.  

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

The pink gorilla cover...:)

image.thumb.jpeg.355ffda94234c1d637c43faaec1a5c44.jpeg

On 6/11/2017 at 11:06 PM, Zolnerowich said:

A recent pick-up. The details on this cover are mind-boggling. No doubt this took Lou a long time to complete.

The "Moroccan carpet" copy.

Jumbo_11_zpsqfdzndql.jpg

I am too far behind in this thread!! What a beauty!! Quickly becoming one of my favorite peds as well!! ?

Edited by gino2paulus2

On 6/12/2017 at 6:41 PM, Readcomix said:

It was a good day :cloud9:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 6/12/2017 at 7:01 PM, sagii said:

It was a VERY good day! :applause:

On 6/12/2017 at 7:18 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Wow!! Those are some awesome rarities there. What a find.

GREAT GOOGELY MOOGELY I WOULD SAY SO!!!! SPLENDID!! 

On 6/9/2017 at 8:00 PM, sacentaur said:

A fine (/very fine) job by CGC, this is the Detroit Trolley copy (an OO pedigree that they do not recognize).

7a164f71-155d-45ce-8bca-5de02af92f3c_zps

I want one of these so Bad and what a copy!!! Look at those colors!! Well done bro i like er' a LOT!! ?

On 6/9/2017 at 7:43 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

An exceptional copy. Going off to Sarasota. Unless there is some "invisible" stain I think 7.5 to 8.0. :wishluck:

IMG_4531.JPG

Lots of chatter about this beauty!! No one has stated the obvious though and it's significant...What we quite possibly have here is the true 1st app of POISON IVY!!!! ?

7 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I want one of these so Bad and what a copy!!! Look at those colors!! Well done bro i like er' a LOT!! ?

Yeah, it is a cool book. Two public sales this year: HA Church copy( 2/22 cgc 7.5)$10,157.00 and Comiclink Exchange (4/14 cgc 6.5) $5,500.00

Makes me wonder where a certain 4.5 would sit if the owner were so inclined.. :whistle:

19 minutes ago, sagii said:

Yeah, it is a cool book. Two public sales this year: HA Church copy( 2/22 cgc 7.5)$10,157.00 and Comiclink Exchange (4/14 cgc 6.5) $5,500.00

Makes me wonder where a certain 4.5 would sit if the owner were so inclined.. :whistle:

I would say it would be SITTIN' PRETTY!!!!