• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Just arrived from CGC, presents so much better than the assigned grade but I shouldn't complain - very scarce book, and a pedigree (Big Apple) to boot. :) 

3be131fa-7d9e-404c-84a4-499ad6168e97_zps

:luhv:

On 6/3/2017 at 4:43 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Brittle but beautiful. And let's face it, I'm no contender for the Berk copy.

I actually first laid eyes on this book the night of the Berk event, as I was kindly offered a quick peek at the Metropolis back offices, and saw this tucked in among their stacks. It called out to me then, and was eventually lucky to bring it home.

5933482a75291_ScreenShot2017-06-03at6_35_09PM.thumb.jpg.5c5149792aacf0f273328f6b64c5ef2f.jpg

Nice, great reds! Does anyone else think that this cover was an Eisner/Fine collaboration?

7 hours ago, rjpb said:

Nice, great reds! Does anyone else think that this cover was an Eisner/Fine collaboration?

That's an interesting question. I think it's pretty well established that Eisner and Fine collaborated closely together and learned a lot from each other during that time. So chances are good that Eisner had some role in the cover, maybe layouts or some of the figures. But if you look at Eisner's Jumbo 12 cover below (not my copy) from a few months later, Eisner's style seems quite different, IMO. 

IMG_1903.JPG.0a9d003ab346eb8901e1ebb0c98d347b.JPG

On June 5, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Sqeggs said:

Possibly a copy Edgar picked up used?  Or maybe one that the person who bought it from Chuck read multiple times? hm

Both are possible I suppose. There weren't many doubles in the Church collection from what I have read, but there were a few. The (long-time) dealer who sold it to me says he bought he it from one of the CpitL City Distribution guys who bought it from Chuck.

Lesser grade Church not odd for a 1950 book, and coding nomenclature is correct but I'm odd spot (under Vic's elbow). If the Gerber copy was Church's, this is NOT it unless he had two copies. Gerber copy has writing upper left that could be Church style,coding or arrival date. Can't quite make it out. 

On 6/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, sacentaur said:

Just arrived from CGC, presents so much better than the assigned grade but I shouldn't complain - very scarce book, and a pedigree (Big Apple) to boot. :) 

3be131fa-7d9e-404c-84a4-499ad6168e97_zps

This is why it's all about eye-appeal for me, I've seen 8.0s that are less appealing than this book. I'd happily take the lesser grade and the savings that go with it. I don't even bid on higher grade books that have foxing problems, as regardless of CGC has to say, they are more like 4.0s as far as eye-appeal.

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

This is why it's all about eye-appeal for me...

Yup - as long as I've been collecting, presentation (eye appeal) and page quality have always been of prime importance to me (even if that means taking a hit on the technical grade sometimes). 

Edited by sacentaur

3 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

An amazing copy tough to find in any grade here's my low grade copy for comparison.

brenda starr 14 002.jpg

I kinda like the Blonde over the Redhead....

On 2017-6-10 at 1:07 PM, Readcomix said:

Nothing like you guys added, but this hit the doorstep a couple days ago

image.jpeg

Stood up, called a stupid big mouth, smacked in the face and now facing the claws of blondie.  Not her day is it.