• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Welcome back BZ!!! :luhv: I was just about to give your thread a :bump: today.

CC

I'm with you CC, I couldn't believe it had actually slipped to page 2 last week :o

By the way BZ, I started a poll in comic general in which you're featured. I hope you don't mind.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2424528&page=1&fpart=1

:olol:acclaim:

sorry BZ... I went with Alba :luhv:

Bad choice. :makepoint:

Alba's representatives have been in touch with me. They say she really has a thing for guys with well rounded collections. :gossip:

Sorry. :shy:

:baiting:

:o

I understand there's some talk about naming the baby Zoom...or Bang, depending on whether it's a boy or a girl. (shrug):whistle:

How lucky can a guy get! Tell me, do you happen to have green lantern's lantern hidden away in your collectors lair? And by the way, the Mandrake strip is incredible...if only all GA had that level of artistry. This thread never ceases to amaze me.

I saw a lantern at Richard's flea market stall. Perhaps if we painted it green or found the right ring, it would serve as a power source.

bb

2627179232_c20ba60545_b.jpg

I don't know if we showed all of those early Argosy sci-fi issues but here is another from 1929. I need to find that store where BZ buys those new copies from the twenties. But I am happy with this slightly used copy with off white pages.

bb

BB, thanks for all your terrific posts. :applause:

I'll be up half the night reading this stuff. :cloud9:

BZ,

Thanks for the comment. Please check out the Baker Romance thread too. Perhaps you have something to throw in. Maybe a NM Giant Size Diary Secrets or a Phantom Lady 17?

bb

I'm back from our family's annual sideshow tour. I think we played every small town between here and Dismal Hollow. lol

ZoomBros.jpg

Magazine distribution must be rather spotty in some of those hidden valleys.

I picked up these pulps off the newsstand in a country store in Skeeter Neck. :whistle:

talesofmagic.jpg

talesofmagic2.jpg

Tales of Magic and Mystery edited by Walter Gibson (author of most of the Shadow novels).

Issue #'s 1-5 (December 1927-April 1928).

The March 1928 issue includes H.P. Lovecraft's famous short story, "Cool Air."

Those are flipping incredible!!! (worship)

I picked up a book of cartoons by H.T. Webster at the flea market in Myrtle Beach, SC last weekend. This cartoon from 1925 mentions everything that was good about summertime and being young except more time to read comic books.

I discovered Webster when I was a kid accompanying my father around the lower east side of New York City as he looked for early 20th century Boy Series books in used book stores. One shop was having a going out of business sale and I ended up buying most of the cartoon section where everything was priced under $1.

The books included Peter Arno, Otto Soglow, Charles Addams, Abner Dean, George Price, H.T. Webster, etc.

I was especially enamored with the work of Webster who drew quite a few cartoons using the circus as a subject. A few years ago I managed to purchase three Webster and one Clare Briggs circus themed originals that were offered for sale as a group on eBay.

Here's one of them.

webster.jpg

I picked up a book of cartoons by H.T. Webster at the flea market in Myrtle Beach, SC last weekend. This cartoon from 1925 mentions everything that was good about summertime and being young except more time to read comic books.

I discovered Webster when I was a kid accompanying my father around the lower east side of New York City as he looked for early 20th century Boy Series books in used book stores. One shop was having a going out of business sale and I ended up buying most of the cartoon section where everything was priced under $1.

The books included Peter Arno, Otto Soglow, Charles Addams, Abner Dean, George Price, H.T. Webster, etc.

I was especially enamored with the work of Webster who drew quite a few cartoons using the circus as a subject. A few years ago I managed to purchase three Webster and one Clare Briggs circus themed originals that were offered for sale as a group on eBay.

Here's one of them.

webster.jpg

I love the cartoon with the touching warm comments from the circus guy. Nice story too. I think his work reminds me of J.R. Williams who did the Willets and other cartoons about blue collar workers and cowboys. I read his cartoons for years in the Monroe Evening News but didn't realize until recently that they were probably reprints. Webster had his own cast of characters too.

bb

I didn't recognize a couple of those names but when I checked by googling, the artists were all familiar. The NY public library has original cartoons by Addams on the wall in the corridor leading to the public restrooms. Great stuff there and I think I would like to see more Price art.

bb

Circus cartoons by Arno

2630316745_c5fa004f15_o.jpg

Soglow's Little King

2630292677_7dcccace24_o.jpg

Bizarre by Addams

2631114022_551c6d08f3_o.jpg

Nudes by Dean

2630292735_8f996172b6_o.gif

Cynical humor by Price

2630292593_89f1b6e11a_o.gif

and one by Williams

2630340101_af9fd036c8.jpg

I own a few reprint books but most of these illos come from websites on line.

Welcome back, Bangzoom!

By the way, welcome back BZ, I thought you might have been captured by a powerful sorceress.

2631362132_6a82460c61_o.jpg

and we might have to form a search party and dare the mysteries of unexplored worlds.

BB

2630540559_a1224f3663_o.jpg

Goldenagecomics.UK scans of Weird 7