• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The scanner isn't even out so that will have to be later.

I do have some more scans tho that I'll probably be able to post late tonight/or in the AM sometime.

Think of it as a story that is building in suspense.

I noticed that no one asked about Superman #1. Is he passé? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and don't you dare tell us what you paid for the collection in the early 1970s. 893naughty-thumb.gif That would just be cruel.

The seller kept me on pins and needles for over a year when he didn't accept my offer, but instead said he'd have to think about it.

I called periodically asking if he'd decided. And as you can imagine, my offer grew and grew. I think I eventually paid about $7500.

A stunning amount, considering what was paid for the MH collection. I'd be interested to hear your feelings at that point as to whether or not you thought it would be a good investment at that time. The market was still in its infancy, and I would imagine you went into this with a great bit of trepidation.

The scanner isn't even out so that will have to be later.

I do have some more scans tho that I'll probably be able to post late tonight/or in the AM sometime.

Think of it as a story that is building in suspense.

I noticed that no one asked about Superman #1. Is he passé? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

What is your Superman #1 like?????

Oh, and don't you dare tell us what you paid for the collection in the early 1970s. 893naughty-thumb.gif That would just be cruel.

The seller kept me on pins and needles for over a year when he didn't accept my offer, but instead said he'd have to think about it.

I called periodically asking if he'd decided. And as you can imagine, my offer grew and grew. I think I eventually paid about $7500.

A stunning amount, considering what was paid for the MH collection. I'd be interested to hear your feelings at that point as to whether or not you thought it would be a good investment at that time. The market was still in its infancy, and I would imagine you went into this with a great bit of trepidation.

Perhaps just a little but I knew I wanted them. I was just concerned he was beating the bushes trying to find another buyer. I never did find out what he was actually doing in that period.

I was going to ask about that and Batman #1 (especially considering the common theory of the later the books are, the better the condition). But I'll refrain from More Fun #52 - that's been done to death.

I'm kinda surprised no Timely guys are going nuts over a possible Marvel #1 or Cap #1.

I hate to say it, but if I were looking to sell such a collection at some

point and wanted to maximize its value I probably would not post any more

scans - at least not of the key books. It is very generous of you to share

the collection with us, bang-z, but you've already generated so much buzz in

the market that your collection will become mythical from now on until

whenever you might decide to sell. By posting such incredible scans you

can be virtually certain that someone will save them and put them in an

online database somewhere (if not publish a book with them). Freshness

to the market is really important to generate excitement for an auction

and I just want to point out that you may be selling yourself short.

Having said that, I really hope that you will continue to share your books

with us. Just wanted to share my honest thoughts with you since you've

owned the books for so many years and are making some important decisions

right now.

Perhaps just a little but I knew I wanted them. I was just concerned he was beating the bushes trying to find another buyer. I never did find out what he was actually doing in that period.

Was your purchase well known? What did others think at the time? Did the seller express any reservations?

right now.

893whatthe.gif

ACK! I mean thankyou. That's a lot to think about. Maybe I'll hold back some images and show others.

I also agree about the buzz but that may be only because we remember the buzz. Its not like any of the major pedigree's haven't continued to go up and up in value over even the last 5 years, especially the very nice copies. Granted the market in general has gone up so its tough to make comparrisons but I do remember the pedigee out of California around 2000 went for, at the time, record prices but today would (and do) go for 2 to 3 times what they originally sold.

I refuse to believe that if has this collection Pedigree'd that no matter how many images he creates, he won't be able to name his price on many of these books.

Ed

Bang:

How have you stored them all these years? Please describe whether they've been in bags or not, boxes, upright, flat, closet, safe deposit box(es), book case, etc.

Also, how would you rate the page quality?

Obviously you've been aware of the comics marketplace for the past 30+ years. What have you been thinking as you've seen prices explode and the value of your collection increase?

Please excuse my prying and inquisitiveness, but to think that a collection like this has just been discovered - even though it has been owned by someone who is a collector (and not an heir) - is something so exciting that it's down right incomprehensible.

I liken this discovery to how I would feel if you were Edgar Church and you just brought out your collection for all of us to see. The fact that you're a collector - and therefore appreciate and understand our excitement - makes it even better.

I purchased a collection in 1986 of over 1,000 first issues. I had to wait nearly 8 years before the seller decided to pull the trigger. I still have nightmares about those years... smile.gif so I can empathize with your fear that the seller would find another buyer.

Thanks again for posting these scans.

right now.

893whatthe.gif

ACK! I mean thankyou. That's a lot to think about. Maybe I'll hold back some images and show others.

very true words, but....that said, this is a "community" board, and we all love to discuss funny books and visually share our collections, etc with others....carey, win, berk, ponseti, parker, moore, evans, etc (I am not intentionally leaving anyone out, I could go on and on...we all know the boards)...all have graciously posted scans of incredible books for us to discuss and enjoy and "oogle" over...BangZ has stated he is not in the market to sell the books, and the "buzz" is true...but, to dangle them, and then keep them covered up for us "geeks" not to be able to enjoy, seems to not be the choice I would make...but, I respect whatever you choose BZ....my personal preference, is show them! (especially a nice tec 27, or Supes 1, etc)...let us enjoy in your great collection!, otherwise, outside of your own enjoyment (and in 25 years you have likely had a lot of pleasure from them), what is the point thumbsup2.gif

rick

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Any collection that has been off the market for 30+ years will have a "freshness" buzz. And if I was interested in something like All American #6 (just an example, I'm not really after it) seeing this scan would whet my appetite and only make me want it more. In fact would it might kill is my desire to purchase one from another dealer or bid on one with Heritage knowing that this beautiful copy will be available one day. Nothing against SACentaur, but the copy of AA #16 Bang posted blows his away and can do nothing but build excitement for the whatever day he should decide it's time to sell.

Same for the Adventure #40.

If two years from now, Bang says "I have an unrestored Adventure #40 I am thinking about selling", people will be excited about a fresh one to market and if he hadn't posted a scan we wouldn't know how excited we should be and what amazing condition it is in. But now since he's posted the scans There will be the Holy Crud anticipation and excitement since everyone knows.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Any collection that has been off the market for 30+ years will have a "freshness" buzz. And if I was interested in something like All American #6 (just an example, I'm not really after it) seeing this scan would whet my appetite and only make me want it more. In fact would it might kill is my desire to purchase one from another dealer or bid on one with Heritage knowing that this beautiful copy will be available one day. Nothing against SACentaur, but the copy of AA #16 Bang posted blows his away and can do nothing but build excitement for the whatever day he should decide it's time to sell.

Same for the Adventure #40.

If two years from now, Bang says "I have an unrestored Adventure #40 I am thinking about selling", people will be excited about a fresh one to market and if he hadn't posted a scan we wouldn't know how excited we should be and what amazing condition it is in. But now since he's posted the scans There will be the Holy Crud anticipation and excitement since everyone knows.

I agree with you that showing them will only build excitement. Not showing them will create a stir for a while, but doubt will eventually creep in.

My questions are a bit more simple:

How many books are there from the collection?

What years do they span?.

Are all comicbook companies of the early 40s represented or just particular ones?

Is there an area that is underrepresented?

Are all books "high grade", or is it variable.

I do not mean to impose on your time, but I am trying to get an objective perspective of your wonderful collection? I thank you in advance for your response.

Jon Berk

Yes please answer some or all of Jon's questions. This really is a fantastic new/old collection.

And a final comment about the showing scans question. I'll go on record now and state that if you show a Superman #1 that looks like the Adventure #40 - the buzz on this collection will NEVER die down.

Adventure40GA.jpg

Quoting this one to torture some here on the boards and because it's such a beautiful book. In my Top 5 Super-Hero books. cloud9.gif

I couldn't believe the condition on those Centaurs either.

Thank you for sharing these scans.

I don't know what I can add or say that hasn't been said already. I'm just blown away by this whole thread. I will say that I very much agree with Scott/FFB, that it is important to document the history and provenience of the collection. It is not often that we have such great information about an original owner of a stunning collection like this. That's such a great story about how you found his house and the store where he bought many of them. It would be shame if the books were split up someday and their provenience was lost. I know you don't have any immediate plans to sell them, but what if you got hit by a bus or something. poke2.gif