• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here are the four issues.

Note that the Bailey page was printed in Wow #4.

The original art piece is from Feature Funnies #1.

I discovered that the upper left quadrant was obviously cut from the Wow 4 art and placed in the Feature Funnies 1 page. Gotta be one of the earliest original comicbook art out there. It helps to have these books which not alot of attention to. Esoteric miniutia for those who may care.

jon

Are all of these books primarily the same contents wise??? They seem to be a mixture of Comic & Pulp, with more emphasis on the pulp side!!! Is that an accurate assessment????

The contents are very similar to the other books around this time with mostly black and white, some one or two page stories, puzzles, some text features....gags, etc.

This is an article (my first!!!) that I did for CBM after meeting Gary Carter at the first Sotheby auction. It was Gary who had me "come out of the closet" and write about GA comics.

WOW...WHAT A MAGAZINE!

One of the rarest of all comic titles is Wow What a Magazine! This rarity, perhaps, explains a lack of appreciation of this short-lived title. In 1936 Wow joined the ranks of New Comics, More Fun and Funny Pages, as a publisher of original material. Published by John Henle and edited by Samuel Maxwell Iger, this “comic magazine” only lasted four issues (July, August, September and November). Except for the inclusion of some reprint strips, the format of this 52 page, 8” by 11” “magazine” was similar to that seen in New Fun. It included the usual array of single, double or triple page “comic” and adventure stories, as will as celebrity pieces, hobby tips and extended text stories (Want to learn about the shot-lived Texan Navy? Check out issue #1). And like New Fun, Wow, wither because of its size, mix of features, lack of color, or only 52 pages for the dime, never was able to generate enough interest to survive. Such brevity would normally not be worth of commanding any attention. However, despite the shortcomings of the form and content, this title contains the first works of some of the giants of the comic art form.

Most notable in the series are the several features drawn by William Eisner under his real name or several pseudonyms such as “Erwin or “William Rensie”. These features included the adventurer “Captain Scott Dalton” (issues 1-4), “ The Flame” (issues 1-4), a “bold colorful figure who dashed through the 16th century” (a character to continue as “The Hawk” in the Iger-Eisner issues of Jumbo Comics in 1938), and the comedy-adventure strip, “Harry Karry”, “the famous international detective (issues 2-4).

While the covers to issues 1, 3 and 4 are considered by some to be at best sub-par, issue 2 sported a spectacular Eisner painted cover of Scott Dalton holding a recently fired revolver held over his head with a trail of smoke coming from the tip of the gun. Certainly the cover is more akin to the pulp covers of the day than the hum-drum cartoony comic covers of the day. Eisner certainly gave notice of the greatness that was in store for him in the comic arena.

Bob Kane, before he created “The Batman”, premiered his comic talents in two humor strips, “The Adventures of Hiram Hick in New York” (issues 2-4) and “Life in the Roar” (issues 3 and 4).

Additional features include a gag strip, “Biff and His Pals” by George Brenner (issues 1-4). Brenner would go onto greater “fame” with the creation of the first masked hero in comics, “The Clock”, who would grace the pages of Funny Pages and Funny Picture Stories later in 1936.

Louis Ferstadt, who would go on to draw “The Flash”, “Starman” and “Green Lantern” and eventually be the art director for Fox Comics in the late 1940s, contributed humor strips of “Larry and Tessie” (issues 1-4) and “Sir Hocus Pocus”. (issues 3 and 4).

So too appeared the earliest work of Briefer who would go onto receive notoriety for his rendition of “Frankenstein” in Prize Comics. Briefer contributed the covers for issues 1 and 4 as well as the dramatic rendition of “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” (issues 3 and 4) which probably was the first evidence of his desire to draw “monstrous” characters. He also contributed a brief humor strip called “Barberania” (issue 4).

Wow also presented a humor strip in it first issue “Smoothie” by Bernard Bailey who was to be the artist for “The Spectre”. He also contributed celebrity portraits for a text article in the first issue.

Several individuals contributed a variety of humor and “forgettable adventure strips (“adventure cartoons” as they were listed in the table of contents by issue 3). The latter included “Tom Sherrill” by Donald Deconn apioneer feature drawn with “stick and building block” figures (issues 1-3), “Space Limited” by Serene Summerfield (issues 1-4) who had the only two page feature in issue 1. (This feature bore a resemblance to the “Space Police” feature that had appeared in New Fun). “Buddy Wilbert” by Joe Henschel (issues 1,3 and 4), a feature which set its hero on the pathe to search for the “Dead Men” which undoubtedly explains the sub-title of this feature- “Beginning his adventures in search of honor, fame and glory among the heroes of all thime,” and “Hidden Gold” by Chuck Thorndike (issues 1-3).

Humor strips were many. Iger contributed his “Pee-wee” in issues 1, 3 and 4. Betty Marion wrote “Jocko” (issues 1-3). The protagonist monkey and elephant bear a striking resemblance to the monkey and elephant that Ryan popularized in his work for National, Comic Magazine and Centaur. Bob Smart contributed “Little Augie” (issues 1-4). While a Louise Maxwell drew “Bargain Bill” for issue 1 (renamed “Brother Bill” in issue 4).

A number of strip reprints appeared. While this type of content was widespread in this time period in Famous Funnies, King Comics and Tip-Top Comics, Wow despite its obvious meager budget, did have some classic strips such as “Fu Manchu”, by Sax Rohmer (issues 1-4), “Popeye” by Segar (issues 2-4); including text articles on the origin of Popeye by Segar in issue 2 and boxer Joe Dempsey writing about “Popeye’s punch” in issue 3), “Tillie the Toiler” by Russ Westover (issue 4), “Mandrake the Magician” by Lee Falk and Phil Davis (issue 4), and, “flash Gordon” by Alex Raymond. (issue 4)

Of some interest is the fact that several of the original features of Wow were reprinted or reworked for the next “big” Iger publication- Jumbo Comics. While it is not of any earth-shattering importance that the “Tom Sherill” feature of issues 1-3 is reprinted in its entirety in Jumbo 1 and that Ed Webster continued his Wow feature of “Fonie Films” (from issues 1-3) in Jumbo, it is far more significant that the first two pages of Briefer’s “Hunchback of Notre Dame” which appear in Jumbo 1 first appeared in Wow 3 and 4 except for a couple of panels. Additionally, Eisner’s feature in Jumbo, “The Hawk” is simply a carry over of the spirit, if not the character of “The Flame” from the pages of Wow. So too did Iger continue his feature of “Pee-Wee” in this later publication. Nor should it be over looked that Bob Kane continued to fuel his interest in comics by continuing to work for Iger in Jumbo by producing “Peter Pupp” and other features.

The run of Wow was extremely brief. But its importance lies in the fact that, in it brief existence, it was the starting point for so many individuals who would go on to be comic greats.

Wow. What a magazine!

c. Jon Berk 1992, 2008

here are #1-3

WOWMagazine-808970-1F.jpg

WOWMagazine-808970-2F.jpg

WOWMagazine-808970-3F.jpg

hm

So, that one issue went for $227.50.........and you've got issue 1-3.......so that would be $682.50 for the lot, right?

Send me your PayPal address & I'll pay up right now! :takeit:

:gossip: those are the Lost Valley copies, probably would take 35x that to get :baiting:

just to clarify, I don't own these copies...they were offered to me recently, and I wanted to share the scans...but, if anyone is interested (seriously), PM me and I will hook you up with the owner (thumbs u

WOW...WHAT A MAGAZINE!

One of the rarest of all comic titles is Wow What a Magazine! This rarity, perhaps, explains a lack of appreciation of this short-lived title. In 1936 Wow joined the ranks of New Comics, More Fun and Funny Pages, as a publisher of original material. Published by John Henle and edited by Samuel Maxwell Iger, this “comic magazine” only lasted four issues (July, August, September and November). Except for the inclusion of some reprint strips, the format of this 52 page, 8” by 11” “magazine” was similar to that seen in New Fun. It included the usual array of single, double or triple page “comic” and adventure stories, as will as celebrity pieces, hobby tips and extended text stories (Want to learn about the shot-lived Texan Navy? Check out issue #1). And like New Fun, Wow, wither because of its size, mix of features, lack of color, or only 52 pages for the dime, never was able to generate enough interest to survive. Such brevity would normally not be worth of commanding any attention. However, despite the shortcomings of the form and content, this title contains the first works of some of the giants of the comic art form...

The run of Wow was extremely brief. But its importance lies in the fact that, in it brief existence, it was the starting point for so many individuals who would go on to be comic greats.

Thanks, Jon. :applause:

I always enjoy reading your GA histories.

"Space Limited Above the Stratosphere" by Serene Summerfield was one of the very first science fiction series to appear in the new medium of comic books.

These two pages launched the strip in Wow #1 (July, 1936)

spacelimited.jpg

It's very cool to see the interior pages for such a scarce book like Wow. (thumbs u Looks like the Summerfield was very influenced by Frank Paul.

Have you posted a scan of the cover of your copy?

I posted it last year in one of my group shots.

For some time I've wanted to post some interior pages from this comic but when I went looking around the house for this issue, I couldn't find it. :P

Months later I remembered I had placed it and a few other oversized comics on a shelf under a stack of bedsheet size pulps. doh!

I have a few more shots (including Fu Manchu and Eisner's, The Flame) that I'll be putting up later.

2495361187_7c8a6ee738.jpg

I realize this is all pretend and the Sub-mariner couldn't really tip over an aircraft carrier but I was wondering about the story. I don't think the Germans had any aircraft carriers did they? I remember the British had carriers with a metal deck which didn't burn as quickly as the Japanese wooden decks. There wasn't a lot of naval battles in the European front. The British controlled the seas in spite of the U-boats. This belongs in the same category as super planes, zepplins and iceberg fortresses. Or maybe someone remembers something else or I have to go back and watch the history channel again.

bb

I can't believe that Wow! slipped through the cracks so cheaply! Those are such cool books and so rare!

Got home from one of my work trips last night and found a priority mail box waiting for me. :banana: I think some of the regulars on this thread might appreciate this one:

FeatureBook25fcsm.jpg

Nice Book!

After seeing this, I have request from you or BZ - please post some of the Frazetta Famous Funnies Buck Rogers covers if you have them. (thumbs u

All a have so far is a 5.0 copy of 209. This is a run I need to work on. I'm sure BZ or others here have some much higher grade copies to show off.

I do have a pretty nice Weird SF 29, but I don't have a scan of it at the moment.

FamousFunnies209fcsm.jpg

History is so interesting. I almost feel sorry for the Germans. Lots of subs but not one complete carrier.

Don't feel sorry for the Germans. They had the V-2 which probably made up for their lack of aircraft carriers.

All a have so far is a 5.0 copy of 209. This is a run I need to work on. I'm sure BZ or others here have some much higher grade copies to show off.

I do have a pretty nice Weird SF 29, but I don't have a scan of it at the moment.

FamousFunnies209fcsm.jpg

Thanks! Frazetta is the king of sci-fi/fantasy covers IMHO.

I can't believe that Wow! slipped through the cracks so cheaply! Those are such cool books and so rare!

Got home from one of my work trips last night and found a priority mail box waiting for me. :banana: I think some of the regulars on this thread might appreciate this one:

FeatureBook25fcsm.jpg

It looks absolutely gorgeous! I want one too.

bb

After seeing this, I have request from you or BZ - please post some of the Frazetta Famous Funnies Buck Rogers covers if you have them.

(shrug) Someone else is going to have to post them because I sold off my copies years ago to raise money for who knows what. :pullhair::screwy: