• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thanks guys!

The covers are either thin cardboard or really thick paper. Basically, it's exactly the same format as Large Feature - same size, same thick paper covers, B&W. This was the last oversized issue of course since the series went to the regular-size color format with the Prince Valiant issue.

The interior is not Raymond, but the first Austin Briggs dailies. I have all the Raymond reprints, but I've never seen the Briggs dailies - I'm really looking forward to reading this.

Edited by Theagenes

After seeing this, I have request from you or BZ - please post some of the Frazetta Famous Funnies Buck Rogers covers if you have them.

(shrug) Someone else is going to have to post them because I sold off my copies years ago to raise money for who knows what. :pullhair::screwy:

Hmm.....I guess that means that I will have to buy some instead of the More Funs and post them. (shrug)

Edited by kimik

From another thread:

I agree!

Was that new art for the cover or was it an enlargement of a panel?

Good question - I plan on reading it this weekend so I'll look to see if the cover is a blown-up panel. The interior is not Raymond of course, but B&W reprints of Austin Briggs' daily strip that had begun earlier in the year (1940).

Luckily I was able to pick the Briggs daily from my trusty 1/2-Price Books a while ago. The answer to AS's question is yes and no. It seems to be a combo of 2 panels and one is reworked at that. It could also be a riff on an earlier Raymond panel. The city scape is from the September 16, 1940 daily and the figures are from October 18, 1940 except that Flash replaces Dr. Zarkov and Dale replaces Lita. Wouldn't want Jeff to hurt his copy -

58281-LargeFeature-FG-Panel2.jpg.24081827c717cdca32376e0bbf2ee5da.jpg

58282-LargeFeature-FG-Panel1.jpg.fb86f4546d7c9e0b0ec83e0805d8e84a.jpg

Scrooge, thanks for posting the inspirational source for the cover illo.

GCD states that Feature Book 25 reprints the Flash Gordon strips from May 27, 1940 to December 14, 1940.

Are any Sunday strips by Raymond included?

I stumbled across a website (elcheapoposters.com) selling posters of old pulp covers.

Pulp Posters

The price of $4 for 18x24" posters and $7 for 24x36" posters seems extremely reasonable.

Has anyone here ever seen these posters in person? I'm curious about the quality.

2319383686_88231e5047_b.jpg

2497534953_7511dfacc2_b.jpg

I think Gutwirth was inspired by this panel by Raymond too. Splash is from Hit 12 which has a pretty nice cover (scan from Goldenagecomics.UK).

bb

2498367318_3028cdb558_b.jpg

Barks and Rosa would have appreciated the fine work that goes into drawing all of those gold coins.

I stumbled across a website (elcheapoposters.com) selling posters of old pulp covers.

Pulp Posters

The price of $4 for 18x24" posters and $7 for 24x36" posters seems extremely reasonable.

Has anyone here ever seen these posters in person? I'm curious about the quality.

It looks like you can pick up the first Schomburg sci-fi pulp cover for $7. And two or three Captain Future posters.

bb

I think Gutwirth was inspired by this panel by Raymond too. Splash is from Hit 12 which has a pretty nice cover (scan from Goldenagecomics.UK).

bb

2497534953_7511dfacc2_b.jpg

Great eye. I like how he played / incorporated the logo in the splash (thumbs u Oh ... and the girl is a looker also :applause:

Scrooge, thanks for posting the inspirational source for the cover illo.

GCD states that Feature Book 25 reprints the Flash Gordon strips from May 27, 1940 to December 14, 1940.

Are any Sunday strips by Raymond included?

Nope, just the dailies. GCD also credits Raymond as the artist, but that's incorrect.

BZ,

I always liked the Action 17 cover and I assumed that the toys that came out later were based on the appeal of the early Superman covers. Do you have any of their toys like the roll over tank? Scans are mine with a little color touch added by photoshop.

bb 2509142358_576466e72f_b.jpg

2508179629_b247817fd9_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Since this is our typical Burroughs-related thread, this came in the mail today with some other pulps. My first ever chance to read some of Burroughs work ... We'll see how I like it but in the meantime I'll just :cloud9: the Allen St. John cover -

58630-FantasticAdventures-March1942.jpg.4b3fa7136f61418e3561e1e0c4ad6080.jpg

Other pulps in the lot I wasn't really interested in but this cover is okay and the book has a Paul back-cover that I'll go ahead and share. Is that illo a reprint from an earlier cover by Paul? It looks pretty familiar ...

58631-FantasticAdventures-May1946.jpg.275c1ccba8985e070b35e8f8cefad9a1.jpg

58632-FantasticAdventures-May1946-BC.jpg.3e110154f6cbf63654156d55a521cc23.jpg

BZ,

I always liked the Action 17 cover and I assumed that the toys that came out later were based on the appeal of the early Superman covers. Do you have any of their toys like the roll over tank?

Peter has all of them.

If he has any photos he'd like to share, I'd love to see them. :wishluck: