• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

wowcontents.jpg

Thanks BZ,

There is lots of good information there. I noticed there was nothing listed in the GCD but they did have pictures of the covers for all four issues. I thought Bob Kane was a contributor too. Maybe he was Bob Smart. Supposedly he was the reason that Eisner started. Well he did work with Iger and Kane on Jumbo and other strips done by the shop (attached is the Wow 2 cover from the GCD with Captain Dalton). Did Eisner do the second cover?

Briefer seems to be in the middle of everything too. I think he did the first cover. It is funny that we only remember him for his Frankenstein strip.

By the way I saw Young Frankenstein last week. I enjoyed it a lot. Igor and Elizabeth were great characters like in the movie but more so.

bb

2493536116_69235bbabf_o.jpg

Will Eisner's first comic book feature.

scottdalton.jpg

Wow #1 (July, 1936)

Wow!!!!! What a treat!!!! Thanks for the page scan BZ!!! (worship)

This is a book nobody owns, except you and Jon B., the only two I've seen!!! :applause:

This is a book nobody owns, except you and Jon B., the only two I've seen!!! :applause:

:gossip: One ended on eBay within the last 2 weeks - Linky Poo I don't think every one saw it since it was listed under pulps. I was too chicken to bid too high on it. My bid did register before being blown ...

There are 2 recorded Heritage sales on Wow # 1 and Al Stolz had a complete run a couple of years ago. Assuming they are all different, we're up to about 6 or 7 copies floating around at least.

" Briefer seems to be in the middle of everything too. I think he did the first cover. It is funny that we only remember him for his Frankenstein strip."

Duh! It says that Briefer did the cover in the table of contents. I knew I had read it somewhere.

bb

:gossip: One ended on eBay within the last 2 weeks - Linky Poo I don't think every one saw it since it was listed under pulps. I was too chicken to bid too high on it. My bid did register before being blown ...

It sold for $227.50 ?!? ARGHHHHH!!! :pullhair:

Somebody got a sweet deal.

Here are the four issues.

Note that the Bailey page was printed in Wow #4.

The original art piece is from Feature Funnies #1.

I discovered that the upper left quadrant was obviously cut from the Wow 4 art and placed in the Feature Funnies 1 page. Gotta be one of the earliest original comicbook art out there. It helps to have these books which not alot of attention to. Esoteric miniutia for those who may care.

jon

58171-wow1.jpg.6eadcaebe1a2cb4e0cbf315e678499d6.jpg

58172-wow2.jpg.a220cb8ce234b8bf55174ee2b9a7b444.jpg

58173-wow3.jpg.f3eb79a8f6b4a10703a935168ae7dc5d.jpg

58174-wow4.jpg.b3e3b2427254a17d626bf2e1f61dabdb.jpg

58175-Wowpagebailey.jpg.19f4b0daf31e77c4c6ca9edf85cf83bb.jpg

58176-wowpartial.jpg.b51b176532293a245e42a7ea6354263c.jpg

here are #1-3

WOWMagazine-808970-1F.jpg

WOWMagazine-808970-2F.jpg

WOWMagazine-808970-3F.jpg

hm

So, that one issue went for $227.50.........and you've got issue 1-3.......so that would be $682.50 for the lot, right?

Send me your PayPal address & I'll pay up right now! :takeit:

Here are the four issues.

I discovered that the upper left quadrant was obviously cut from the Wow 4 art and placed in the Feature Funnies 1 page. Gotta be one of the earliest original comicbook art out there. It helps to have these books which not alot of attention to. Esoteric miniutia for those who may care.

jon

Are all of these books primarily the same contents wise??? They seem to be a mixture of Comic & Pulp, with more emphasis on the pulp side!!! Is that an accurate assessment????

"Double Indemnity"

Feel free to toss in a movie poster pic when you feel like it. :popcorn:

I picked this movie poster up at the flea-market this morning and wanted to share. I figured this would be the safest place to post it. :grin: I love obscure 50's B-movie stuff and this has that "Reform School Girl" feel to it. I googled Cleo Moore and evidently she is a cult-favorite and was a minor-league Marilyn Monroe. I love the title graphic with the camera. :cloud9: Now I need to figure a way to convince the wife that this needs to be on our office wall. hm

overexposed.jpg

here are #1-3

hm

So, that one issue went for $227.50.........and you've got issue 1-3.......so that would be $682.50 for the lot, right?

Send me your PayPal address & I'll pay up right now! :takeit:

:gossip: those are the Lost Valley copies, probably would take 35x that to get :baiting:

wowcontents.jpg

Thanks BZ,

There is lots of good information there. I noticed there was nothing listed in the GCD but they did have pictures of the covers for all four issues. ....

That's because no one with a copy of any of the books has indexed them!

I seem to have misplaced my set -- I don't suppose anyone around here owns any? :whistle:

If I remember right, I uploaded the GCD covers from these very boards. If anyone has a full issue photographed legibly or scanned, I'd take a shot at indexing them with credit to the owner. It would be great to get these historical books into the GCD!

Jack

Edited by selegue

I discovered that the upper left quadrant was obviously cut from the Wow 4 art and placed in the Feature Funnies 1 page.

58175-Wowpagebailey.jpg58176-wowpartial.jpg

Neat piece of art to own, Jon. :applause:

Interesting publishing history for the Marlene Deitrich illo.

here are #1-3

those are the Lost Valley copies, probably would take 35x that to get

Rick, I'm not familiar with the Lost Valley pedigree but those certainly are beautiful issues you have. :applause: :applause: :applause: