• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The current 2008 Pop Quiz standings for those of you who want to brag at family picnics this weekend.

Scrooge - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

BB-Gun - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

RyanH - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

selegue - winner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gifwinner.gif

MrBedrock - winner.gifwinner.gif

adamstrange - winner.gifwinner.gif

Point Five - winner.gifwinner.gif

sacentaur - winner.gifwinner.gif

october - winner.gif

buttock - winner.gif

slambang4.jpg

Congrats on the win BB...you beat me by about five minutes!

Scrooge mentioned The Lone Eagle in another thread which prompted me to start looking at pulps downstairs.

One thing led to another and I ended up looking at All Detective Magazines.

alldetective2.jpg

alldetective_3.jpg

The first appearance of Doctor Death (July 1934).

Scrooge mentioned The Lone Eagle in another thread which prompted me to start looking at pulps downstairs.

One thing led to another and I ended up looking at All Detective Magazines.

Oh! So you're the one that cared :sorry:

Can we get a better look at the first All Detective we glimpsed. That is my ALL TIME favorite cover :wishluck:

Probably the best thread for this. My trusty Half-Price book had this 1973 collection of Bringing Up Father, one of those strips in another thread we've mentioned is probably on the verge of being forgotten. Yet, for how deceptively simple the art appears to be, there are layers of complexity to it, if only for the attention to details in the backgrounds. I post a strip from 1939 when the cast goes on a car tour out west (à la Walt in Gasoline Alley so many year before) -

58872-BringingUpFather-Collection.jpg.ebfc54bac3fe908ca75351a3ce6ee56f.jpg

58873-BringingUpFather-10-1939.jpg.a0742020fafd5d63e196967d3a7da4fe.jpg

Oh! So you're the one that cared :sorry:

(thumbs u

lol I've experienced the collective yawn of the audience with many of my postings of esoteric material. zzz

On the bright side, many items that I think are super cool sell for relatively little money on eBay since many other collectors have no interest in them. :applause:

My trusty Half-Price book had this 1973 collection of Bringing Up Father, one of those strips in another thread we've mentioned is probably on the verge of being forgotten. Yet, for how deceptively simple the art appears to be, there are layers of complexity to it, if only for the attention to details in the backgrounds.

I agree.

As Maurice Horn noted in his entry for this strip in The World Encyclopedia of Comics:

"The luxurious setting of the action, an astounding mixture of rococo architecture, Art Nouveau furnishings and weird shaped curios form the backdrop for this battle of the sexes."

bringingupfather_1.jpg

bringingupfather_2.jpg

bringingupfather_3.jpg

bringingupfather_4.jpg

bringingupfather_5.jpg

bringingupfather_6.jpg