• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I always thought Smilin' Jack was one of the more colorful newspaper adventure strips.

It was filled with an interesting cast of supporting players and distinctive villains. All who looked to me, when I was a youngster, like they'd wandered over from Tracy.

Some of his memorable foes were The Claw, Toemain the Terrible, The Head and his sister, The Mongoose.

smilinjack1.jpg

Four Color Comics #5 (1940)

Four Color #14 (1941)

Four Color #36 (1943)

The covers have always seen to me OK. Some are better than others, esp. late in the Popular run before Felix takes over. I believe there was a fanzine reprinting Smilin' Jack (my 1/2-price books got in quite a few issues: B&W half page folded job). From my perusal of those reprints, the strip isn't jumping out and distinguishing itself but ... again ... until I sit down and read a story I can't really judge. Any way you could shoot a couple of pages of continuity? :wishluck:

I always thought Smilin' Jack was one of the more colorful newspaper adventure strips.

It was filled with a interesting cast of supporting players and distinctive villains. All who looked to me like they'd wandered over from Tracy.

Some of his memorable foes were The Claw, Toemain the Terrible, The Head and his sister, The Mongoose.

smilinjack1.jpg

Four Color #14 (1941)

Four Color #36 (1943)

Smilin' Jack is kind of a Clark Gable character. He was very popular and in Popular and Large Feature Comics 25.

bb

2512588724_8b536fa350_b.jpg

2512589016_be335404e1_b.jpg

And speaking of Tracy, he had some pretty good stories in Large Feature Book 8.

2512621824_4f208a3de5_b.jpg

2512622002_c8d6647ff7_b.jpg

and he starts the story with a bang.

2511792931_a10c4e73e0_b.jpg

and sometimes the inside front cover had some nice ads.

bb

2511793137_21e7dbab22_b.jpg

I saw a collection owned by Robie this weekend which had most of the Fast Action books, and most of the Pop up books too, in nice shape. I was very envious.

From my perusal of those reprints, the strip isn't jumping out and distinguishing itself but ... again ... until I sit down and read a story I can't really judge.

I'm actually just recalling the strip from the perspective of a 9-12 year old who was accustomed to reading DC comics. :gossip:

jack1.jpg

Smilin' Jack characters like his pal Downwind Jaxon, who was only pictured in one-quarter profile, were novelties to me.

jack2.jpg

Read more about Smilin' Jack: Link

I saw a collection owned by Robie this weekend which had most of the Fast Action books, and most of the Pop up books too, in nice shape.

I don't know who Robie is, but I'd like to have his collection. rantrant

I saw a collection owned by Robie this weekend which had most of the Fast Action books, and most of the Pop up books too, in nice shape.

I don't know who Robie is, but I'd like to have his collection. rantrant

Dave Robie advertises in the Overstreet guide and is one of the advisors. Most of the stuff I saw was for sale although I think he is happy to keep the books.

bb

It was filled with a interesting cast of supporting players and distinctive villains. All who looked to me like they'd wandered over from Tracy.

Four Color #14 (1941)

Four Color #36 (1943)

Smilin' Jack is kind of a Clark Gable character. He was very popular and in Popular and Large Feature Comics 25.

bb

My grandfather served in England with Clark Gable during WW2, and for some reason I think Smilin' Jack saw a lot more action than Gable :)

From my perusal of those reprints, the strip isn't jumping out and distinguishing itself but ... again ... until I sit down and read a story I can't really judge.

I'm actually just recalling the strip from the perspective of a 9-12 year old who was accustomed to reading DC comics. :gossip:

I'll admit from those 2 pages, it read a little better than it looks but I'm not ready to buy reprints yet. The fact that Dell ran it for so long should on its own be a testament of its popularity at the time ... but that's a strip that will and probably is all but forgotten by now.

BZ, is that comics in mylar I see hm

Yes. :shy:

Smilin' Jack deserves the best. lol

If this experiment works out ok, I might try putting my Smitty and Smokey Stover comics in Mylar sleeves, too. (thumbs u

This image is from the cover of what GA cover?

quiz32_1.jpg

Here are a couple more fragments from the cover.

quiz32_2.jpg

quiz32_3.jpg

This will be the last two clues for this evening. I'll post more images tomorrow if no one guesses the comic tonight.

quiz32_5.jpg

quiz32_4.jpg

This image is from the cover of what GA cover?

quiz32_1.jpg

Here are a couple more fragments from the cover.

quiz32_2.jpg

quiz32_3.jpg

This will be the last two clues for this evening. I'll post more images tomorrow if no one guesses the comic tonight.

quiz32_5.jpg

quiz32_4.jpg

Two more images...

quiz32_7.jpg

quiz32_6.jpg