• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

:applause: Any particularly exotic covers you want to share, like the August 1931? I only ask because this is one series that never is showcased since as far as I know it never produced acclaimed stories and probably the only issues sought after are the ones contained Hubbard stories. ANY pulp with a Hubbard story gets bid up. Almost feels like that guy has a cult following ...

My trusty Half-Price book had this 1973 collection of Bringing Up Father, one of those strips in another thread we've mentioned is probably on the verge of being forgotten. Yet, for how deceptively simple the art appears to be, there are layers of complexity to it, if only for the attention to details in the backgrounds.

I agree.

As Maurice Horn noted in his entry for this strip in The World Encyclopedia of Comics:

The luxurious setting of the action, an astounding mixture of rococo architecture, Art Nouveau furnishings and weird shaped curios form the backdrop for this battle of the sexes.

And speaking of the sexes, he never shied from drawing the kinder gentler sex under its best light. One strip will stretch your screen, sorry -

58911-BringingUp-Women-1.jpg.95f8a82c30e8ee3ae6d19b5e378d3a2e.jpg

58912-BringingUp-Women-2.jpg.514151122bfe58492121522b0d09ed5c.jpg

I also picked up this analysis of Barney Google and Snuffy Smith which contains a study of the strip as well as bios of both Bill DeBeck and Fred Lasswell. This is a strip that I will admit I simply don't get. First and foremost, the language used in it makes it hard for me to follow simple conversation. That language barrier turns me off so much that I don't really try to appreciate the social commentary (if any) in the strip. I hope the book will unlock the secret to this long-running strip ... but I am not holding my breath. BZ (and others), ever cared for this strip? I have also this issue of the short-lived comic issued by Toby about these guys. Its main attraction, sadly, is the Kurtzman's Hey Look! installment inside.

58931-BarneySmith-Book.jpg.a1b9f5370f577a42303a6b79f8bbb038.jpg

58932-BarneyGoogle4s.jpg.d961988888bcfa93875caf1d59f58027.jpg

Funny that you should bring up Snuffy Smith.

Last night when I was digging through some stacks of artwork, I came across a Snuffy Smith original I'd forgotten I owned.

It made me feel very nostalgic because I always enjoyed that comic when I was a kid. I was also a big fan of Li'l Abner.

Would I enjoy reading those strips today? Perhaps not. Or, maybe I would. (shrug)

I'm a big fan of 1930's blues, gospel, and country music, so maybe I'd still enjoy the strips just because I like the hillbilly milieu. lol

I currently have on order from Amazon: Memphis Shakedown: More Jug Band Classics [box Set]. :gossip:

Link

I don't comment much because I don't like the clutter the thread but I do enjoy your posts, Scrooge, as well as, of course, BZs.

Jiggs is a terrific strip with seriously beautiful work in b&w -- tastefully ornate linework and much more going on the in background when you take a second look.

I'm not much into the hill-billy humor, whose popularity has mostly run it's course with the end of the Beverly Hillbilly's show -- which was often very funny -- but the art on your Snuffy and Lil Abner originals is wonderful, BZ.

slambang5ga.jpg

Love that Dragon cover BZ. Thanks for the Quiz update. I will expect my six "no prizes" in the mail soon.

:banana:bb

2525100909_f25fae7052.jpg

A Spaceman 6 cover to celebrate my sixth win. I can't figure out what the Thing looks like other than green pasta. YUM!

My trusty Half-Price book had this 1973 collection of Bringing Up Father, one of those strips in another thread we've mentioned is probably on the verge of being forgotten. Yet, for how deceptively simple the art appears to be, there are layers of complexity to it, if only for the attention to details in the backgrounds.

I agree.

As Maurice Horn noted in his entry for this strip in The World Encyclopedia of Comics:

The luxurious setting of the action, an astounding mixture of rococo architecture, Art Nouveau furnishings and weird shaped curios form the backdrop for this battle of the sexes.

My very first original art purchase was this McManus piece that was in the wrong section on eBay many years ago. Since it wasn't noticed by many, I got it for a minimal bid. I love the pebbles that he inserted on the sidewalks outside. He couldn't just draw it as a straight line. He also used a lot of zipatone for detailing.

jiggs-strip.jpg

pebbles.jpg

By the way those are Art Noveau pebbles. :gossip::whistle:

I don't comment much because I don't like the clutter the thread but I do enjoy your posts, Scrooge, as well as, of course, BZs.

Please comment, we can use the clutter. lol

Scrooge, BB, and the rest of us who post this nonsense would love to receive some feedback. :sumo:meh

My very first original art purchase was this McManus piece that was in the wrong section on eBay many years ago. Since it wasn't noticed by many, I got it for a minimal bid.

jiggs-strip.jpg

pebbles.jpg

Congratulations on a very nice purchase, Flee. :applause:

Despite the competition on eBay, I still manage to find great buys on a regular basis by seeking out pieces that have been listed in the wrong category. :whistle:

It's more work, but it produces results. :gossip:

I have a few more Feature Books that are worth showing. 2525801799_a84807576e_b.jpg

:applause: Gorgeous books, BB. :applause:

You sure don't see those issues very often.

I noticed the "Julius Gutman & Co." stamp on the Zane Grey.

My Wow #1 has a Julius Gutman stamp, too. hm