• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

Looks like a lot of these EC covers were well cared for through the years.

Too bad other original art from the Gold/Silver age didn't end up as nice.

You can thank Mr. Gaines for keeping the art in beautiful condition over the years. When the person who sold me the Davis cover first saw the piece, he thought it couldn't be legitimate since it looked so brand new. It really is quite sharp and bright.

I agree, Tom was very quick to answer my questions and in getting my pages to me safely. I was happy to get the induction page from Wanted from him along with another page from the series.

543036-wanted213.jpg

543036-wanted213.jpg.c1529197e9d2a0a391cf95eb6ddd9014.jpg

Hi all,

Here's my latest acquisition. It was on ebay a while back, but didn't meet reserve. A bunch of emails later, and.....

Wolverine Limited Series #3, final page...... by Miller/Rubenstein.

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/wolverine.jpg

Best,

Gorgeous. I had my eye on that piece but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Congrats!

Hi all,

Here's my latest acquisition. It was on ebay a while back, but didn't meet reserve. A bunch of emails later, and.....

Wolverine Limited Series #3, final page...... by Miller/Rubenstein.

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/wolverine.jpg

Best,

Great page! I always thought that the best artwork Miller ever did, by a wide margin, was on the Wolverine Limited Series. To be honest, while his DD stories are among my favorite of all-time, I would never classify his artwork on the run as being anything more than "solid" (before you disagree with me, let me ask you who you would rather sleep with - Elektra as drawn by Miller or Elektra as drawn by Mike Deodato Jr. or Greg Horn? tongue.gif). To me, Miller's always been a great writer who provides good, if unspectacular, art to convey his stories...but, his WLS art is genuinely pretty to look at.

I'm very curious, though, since Joe Rubenstein said on the ComicArt-L list today that Miller only did the layouts for that page and did not provide detailed pencils...is that the case for the rest of the WLS run? Have I really been admiring the inking work of Rubenstein all these years and not the pencilling prowess of Miller? confused-smiley-013.gif I have to wonder a bit now, considering that none of Miller's other art comes close to appealing to me as much as his WLS work.

HI Gene,

Apparently, according to Joe, Miller did light pencils/layouts for all the issues and Joe did the lion's share of the work on the entire series. I agree it's a beautiful run, and Joe deserves a lot more credit than he gets. The page I got is a perfect example of a stunning piece of original art, with excellent, excellent inking. It's obvious he took his time on it.

Best,