• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

WOW, Rudy Nebres was one of my fave inkers over J Buscema's Savage Sword of Conan. Gave the drawings a more delicately inked touch. Wonder if Nebres was from 1 of the Philippine art schools? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've also been collecting Buscema/Chan pieces from SSOC. This page was drawn especially for me by Nebres, and I just received it today. It ranks among my favorite originals I have.

Conan pieces like this one really bring me right back to being a 13-year-old kid in a treehouse in the woods reading my tattered Savage Swords, just soaking in that sense of imagination and amazement. This specific piece captures that Conan feeling more than just about any other--the solid but sad image of Conan in his aloneness, looking over valleys and cities but perched above them in solitary hawklike watchfulness.

893whatthe.gif

Wow. That is gorgeous. Monetary considerations aside, I'd take that over 99.9% of panel pages out there any day.

Oh, and I don't mind telling you--I paid $550 for it. I had buyer's remorse at first, and now I am so impressd with it that it's worth every penny.

I didn't even haggle the price with him. I knew this was going to be a special piece, so I just told him I'd respect his requests, one artist to another, and pay what he knew it was worth.