• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

I recently acquired my grail. It's the cover art to Flash 323 by Carmine Infantino and Rodin Rodriguez. The issue was the beginning of the end for Flash, as this kicked off the Trial of the Flash storyline.

Nice piece of art I thought I'd never find or even be able to get for my collection.

603326-FLASH323CI.jpg.bdc1056b56e2997550fa5295761563a3.jpg

I was excited to get this 1934 Carl Barks drawing at Heritage yesterday. It's the most attractive example of his work from this period I have seen for sale in the last several years (excluding the watercolor "The Nude With the Hat" which I'd love to get hold of some day). Can't wait to hang it next to my original ducks.

ceo34.jpg

From catalog:

Carl Barks - "Miss Strippingham" Gag Panel (Calgary Eye Opener, 1934). In the beginning of his long career as a cartoonist, Carl Barks created art for a number of men's magazines. In 1934, he was drawing for the Calgary Eye Opener, and this was one of the many pieces he did for that magazine. In this beautiful work, Barks has his stripper forgetting a small item of clothing; her only item in fact! The stereotyped black servant is the one breaking the news, in language Barks must have taken from an old movie: "Psst! Miss Strippingham, yo' all fo'got somethin'!" Pretty racy stuff for its time! This special piece has been in a private collection, unseen by the public, for many years. It is beautifully rendered in many shades of greys and blacks. Of course, it was the Disney Ducks that made Barks famous, but here's a bit of his little-known past work, showing a bit more than might be expected from the beloved Duck Man! This piece has an image area of approximately 7" x 9.5", and is in Excellent condition.

I was excited to get this 1934 Carl Barks drawing at Heritage yesterday. It's the most attractive example of his work from this period I have seen for sale in the last several years (excluding the watercolor "The Nude With the Hat" which I'd love to get hold of some day). Can't wait to hang it next to my original ducks.

ceo34.jpg

From catalog:

Carl Barks - "Miss Strippingham" Gag Panel (Calgary Eye Opener, 1934). In the beginning of his long career as a cartoonist, Carl Barks created art for a number of men's magazines. In 1934, he was drawing for the Calgary Eye Opener, and this was one of the many pieces he did for that magazine. In this beautiful work, Barks has his stripper forgetting a small item of clothing; her only item in fact! The stereotyped black servant is the one breaking the news, in language Barks must have taken from an old movie: "Psst! Miss Strippingham, yo' all fo'got somethin'!" Pretty racy stuff for its time! This special piece has been in a private collection, unseen by the public, for many years. It is beautifully rendered in many shades of greys and blacks. Of course, it was the Disney Ducks that made Barks famous, but here's a bit of his little-known past work, showing a bit more than might be expected from the beloved Duck Man! This piece has an image area of approximately 7" x 9.5", and is in Excellent condition.

Fantastic piece. Looks like it could've influenced Will Eisner (it kind of reminds me of his later style).

Just received the Barks watercolor today. I was worried the diagonal line slightly below the center was a scratch but it must have been a reflection: the condition is perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Interestingly, the back side of the art supposedly has Barks' 1936 home address written on it (says so on the back of the frame). Unfortunately, I'd have to take apart the beautiful frame to be able to see it. Hmmm, would be fun to find out whether the house still exists today.... I spoke to a person who visited Barks in Hemet, California, in 1961. By then, Barks lived with his third wife in a tiny, extremely modest house.

BuscemaMephisto.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

What's it from? Graphic Novel?

I was told that it was intended as a page for the Judgement Day Graphic Novel, but heard part of the artwork is in the introduction. I'll have to pick up a copy and look. I had to have it after I missed out on that one page for it. I think Buscema's Mephisto from that time frame might be my favorite renditions of the character.