• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

There's a ton of that Jack Adler stuff around. I don't personally collect any of it, but it's definitely a legit part of the process. There was an article in CBM a while back about his collection.

I would like your advice on what you think of this format as comic "ART" ... and if it is worth collecting..or if I should steer clear.

I have never seen anyone on the ComicArt-L list refer to these in anything other than a tone of utter derision and disdain. Usually the people there only mention these approval covers, specifically those from the "Jack Adler Collection", to complain about how their time is being wasted having to wade through all of these listings on eBay while looking for "real" art. And that generally leads to talk about how they can't believe anyone would pay $100+ for them.

My advice is to buy 'em if you like 'em. But, realize that they are not held in high esteem by many/most art collectors and that if you pay $150 for one of these and want/need to sell, you might only recoup a small fraction of that amount upon resale unless you get lucky. From what I can tell, there's not a big market for these and I don't see that changing. I would say that a nice copy of a comic is the "next best thing" to owning a piece of original art from the issue, not one of these approval covers.

Thnx Dele.. exactly the kind of info I was looking for. thumbsup2.gif

I am new to buying Comic art of any kind..

I might pik up a few of these Approval covers if it is for a specific title , issue #

I love.. but no plans to resell ever .. only to admire, and look at.

But yeah. the price seemed really steep , so that was my main reason for asking.

Thnx again for taking the time to pass along your experience with them.

Z