• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

HI Gene,

Apparently, according to Joe, Miller did light pencils/layouts for all the issues and Joe did the lion's share of the work on the entire series. I agree it's a beautiful run, and Joe deserves a lot more credit than he gets. The page I got is a perfect example of a stunning piece of original art, with excellent, excellent inking. It's obvious he took his time on it.

Best,

Well, I guess you're right that we have Joe Rubinstein to thank in large measure for the great art in the WLS. I'm sure you saw it, but for those who didn't, here's what Joe revealed on the ComicArt-L thread:

"I think that Klaus did a magnificent job on all the Miller projects they did together. I always tell Klaus he's my favorite inker.

The WOLVERINE series Frank and I did was in layout form. There was rendering there, but much was left up to me. Frank told me that he "Broke the Kirby Barrier " by penciling an issue a week of that series.

I took 8 weeks to ink the first one. 6 Weeks for # 2, 4 weeks for # 3,etc.The whole time I was mortified by the truth that they didn't look as good as what Klaus was doing over on Dare Devil."

I wonder, though, now that people realize this, if people will start discounting the value of these WLS pages like those later DD pages that were largely done by Janson? Even if Miller's contribution wasn't as great as in those pages he pencilled and inked himself, IMO those WLS pages look a lot better than any pure Miller work out there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi Gene,

I think the issue is a little different than the later DD issues that are pure layouts. Miller definitely still "penciled" the WLS issues, but he did them so fast (it seems) that they were rough when compared to his other works. Joe obviously did a great job finishing off everything, and hence the final result.

Will value suffer? I don't think so. For one thing, the entire WLS was done this way, so if you like the series or you want an example of everything Miller did, you'll pay whatever the going rate is, and that rate has been climbing over the years. Plus, I think, overall, the work that Miller/Rubensteion did on WLS is far superior to the work that Miller/Jansen did on the pure layouts (later issues) of DD. Additionally, the later issues of DD (after issue 181 or 182) are not as historically "important" as the run immediately before it, so you can see why the later issues of DD are "discounted" further.

So, for me, the WLS values are unaffected by this. It's beautiful art, both Miller and Rubenstein contributed to the final product, it's an important story/series that redefines and expands the Wolverine character, and it's been quite under-appreciated (value-wise) in the art community for some time. I think we'll see prices on this run escalate over the years, to become in line with the rest of Miller's works.

Best,

Mmmmm....I knew that was the price you mentioned. Poor deathlok advised me that he thought it was $400! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Since when do you ever listen to me? confused-smiley-013.gif

In person....over the net...you are sleeping.gif

Mmmmm....I knew that was the price you mentioned. Poor deathlok advised me that he thought it was $400! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Since when do you ever listen to me? confused-smiley-013.gif

In person....over the net...you are sleeping.gif
I am sleeping.gif in person too. 27_laughing.gif

THANKS FFB! acclaim.gif I'm really happy with this piece! cloud9.gif

It's really easy to do. In the future, just click on the attachment after you upload it. Your browser will open the picture. Copy the URL text from the browser when it is showing your picture, then click "BACK" on your browser to go back to your original post. Click "EDIT" in your original post. Then when you get to the edit screen, click "IMAGE" in the Instant UBB Code section below and a text box will pop up. Paste the URL text you copied into the text box and hit enter. Then hit submit and your edited post will have the image in it.

P.S. It's a beautiful piece of artwork. Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif Are you going to get it pressed though? It looks like it has a wrinkle.

Just kidding. shy.gif

P.S. It's a beautiful piece of artwork. Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif Are you going to get it pressed though? It looks like it has a wrinkle.

Just kidding. shy.gif

Yeah, and Wonder Woman's thigh has color touch! stooges.gif

Thanks! I can't seem to learn enough about computers. It does not help any that I have a lot of people to help me here at the office, so I really never "have" to learn. blush.gif

If it was wrinkled, I would get it SAFELY AND CORRECTLY pressed without a second thought! grin.gif

You guys mind sharing your thoughts on Original Approval Covers..

I have seen many for sale lately..here is one I like

HOM #197 Approval Cover

I know these are not considered Original Art.. but are they the next best thing?

Or is this just a ruse to sell a version of a photo copy?

I really like the fact that they are a bit larger then the actual printed comic book versions.. and would look great framed and matted with complimentary colors.

This seller "keycomics "seems legit.. as does his description where these came from.. take a look if you would.

I would like your advice on what you think of this format as comic "ART" ... and if it is worth collecting..or if I should steer clear.

I might just pik this one up either way..., as I cannot afford $3,000-$10,000 for the real deal at this time.

Also do these Approval covers.. come around all the time?.. it is all new to me.

Anyhow.. thnx in advance.

Z