• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

269 posts in this topic

1851758-fedoraman.jpg

That is awesome!!

Thanks, sckao! 893applaud-thumb.gif

No problem. That background is from one of the movie posters for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Glad to help. thumbsup2.gif

It's typically best to ignore sarcastic baiting questions, but here goes...

The erasure damaged the book and left a color loss. The damage should be factored into the grade accordingly.

Since the erasure didn't return anything to its original state, it wasn't restoration and should not be in a purple label.

The erasure certainly didn't return the book to its original state - it removed some of the book's original color/ink/gloss... how is that any different from removing a frayed edge or sharpening a corner via trimming?

In this particular case, I think the book would look better without the erasure. In some instances, books DO look better from erasure/cleaning, and in other instances I'm sure it could prove difficult to substantiate that cleaning had occurred. But this example cries out for closer examination, IMHO... just because it can't consistently be identified (exactly like pressing), it *should* be noted/identified in clear-cut cases like this.

With respect to cleaning, it either returns a book closer to its original state, or it removes some of its original material (ink, gloss, even paper)...often both. Either way, it seems like resto to me. It's just resto that's hard to consistently identify.

I agree, this book needs to be looked at in person to better understand what we are looking at. It makes me wonder why ,or who would want to remove the Larson name from the cover in the first place, an amateur long ago? Because anyone who knows even a little about dry cleaning knows you dont touch the inked areas, and if you do you sure would not try and totally erase a name that identifies the book as a Ped.

The book is still identified as a Larson on the CGC label so it was not done to hide that fact when resubbed. And imho , dry cleaning isn't resto. But it should be noted on the label if it is a clear cut case like a name erased from the cover.

Not sure if the thought was that since it is all to easily visible , why bother noting it on the label? Just downgrade for it and move on.

Ze-

I know this is late....I've been out of town.

The erasure occurred YEARS ago. I got this book in a trade with Ron Pussell (Redbeard's) at the 1980 San Diego Comic-Con. The "Larson" was erased when I got it. That was fairly common on Larson's. I have about twenty of them and maybe a quarter have the name erased.

Here's another example of a book that I sent to PGA/PGX that they undergraded by a wide margin.....CGC got it right after I SS it with Neal Adams and Ploog...it's from an original owner collection....an old employee of GA collectibles in Seattle....

I still think how stupid PGA grading was on numerous of my books that I sent in in high grade....

Here's the example of my MS#2 graded 8.0 and now 9.0...no pressing etc.

I sold the ASM 90 in 9.6 and swore it could have been a 9.8

I sold my MS #5 in 8.5 that later was graded at 9.0

I sold an Iron Fist #14 in 9.2....who knows what it is now

I sold an 8.5 ASM 44 and 52.....again, who knows

I sold a Hulk 162 in 9.0....?

Luckily I still have the TOS pre heroes graded by PGA in 8.0-9.0 and about 10 others..........some day I'll get them regraded correctly. 1856019-PGACGCMS2.JPG

1856019-PGACGCMS2.JPG.febb217755f89098762313d2c06396a6.JPG

There has been some guy (likely Leder or one of the involved parties) spouting some interesting tales over on the STL forum. Stuff like Ryan Elliot is the one who poses as Leder on eBay. Supposedly Leder is unaware ... but aware ... or something. all sounds like Leder/Hooker?whoever spreading FUD

There has been some guy (likely Leder or one of the involved parties) spouting some interesting tales over on the STL forum. Stuff like Ryan Elliot is the one who poses as Leder on eBay. Supposedly Leder is unaware ... but aware ... or something. all sounds like Leder/Hooker?whoever spreading FUD

It is very interesting reading, that's for sure. I give it an eight out of ten, with one point deducted for non transparency and one for poor grammar

Who's CGC's major rival?

No one.

PGX is no more of a "major rival" than Joe's Burger Shack on the corner is a "major rival" of McDonalds.

I would bet that the number of books that PGX has slabbed -- that would have otherwise gone to CGC -- is statistically insignificant.

Who's CGC's major rival?

No one.

PGX is no more of a "major rival" than Joe's Burger Shack on the corner is a "major rival" of McDonalds.

I would bet that the number of books that PGX has slabbed -- that would have otherwise gone to CGC -- is statistically insignificant.

it's more like if CGC is the New York Spankees, then PGX is the Macon Braves.

if you notice, all PGX slabs have the same four leading numbers; 5010.

books graded in 10/05 are in the 501034603 range

books graded in 01/07 are in the 501052300 range

books graded in 04/07 are in the 501055644 range

books graded in 05/07 are in the 501056228 range

confused-smiley-013.gif

it's more like if CGC is the New York Spankees, then PGX is the Macon Braves.

if you notice, all PGX slabs have the same four leading numbers; 5010.

books graded in 10/05 are in the 501034603 range

books graded in 01/07 are in the 501052300 range

books graded in 04/07 are in the 501055644 range

books graded in 05/07 are in the 501056228 range

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah but that doesn't count the books that are graded multiple times with the same serial number. 27_laughing.gif

Oh I understand a canadian.

What's that supposed to mean?

he understands Canadians? or rather, he understands one Canadian in particular.

clear that up for ya?

Lets hear your comments cod...

Im really sure it would pass for material on Jay Leno.

Oh I understand a canadian.

My comments?

Clearly you are on the inside of this whole affair how else would you make such claims. If I am not mistaken you have claimed that you are Dennis Hooker who is someone whose name has come up before to have been involved in this affair.

Do I believe that you are Hooker ... no but it does make some sense. I know that you have a similar posting format and structure to Terence Leder ... or the person who was trying to pass as Leder on the STL and CGC forums.

All I know for certain is you are someone who claims to be very knowledgeable on this PGX scandal and yet you will not reveal who you are and how you came into this data. because of this I assume you are one of the parties involved.

In the end no matter what you have said here or on STL doesn't change the fact that something IS going on a PGX and Terence Leder is a part of it. Though you like to claim that he is an innocent party you have also claimed that it was Terence or his wife who SOLD Elliot the right to use his name for an eBay account. Terence is guilty of a crime regardless.

Now back to you ... you claim to have the inside garbage on this affair and yet you are standing in the shadows while PGX and whoever else perpetrate fraud and God knows what else on unsuspecting collectors. That in itself makes me incredibly mistrustful of you. You claim to have EVIDENCE while most of us, who are in the dark, just have to speculate and hope that one day Daniel and crew get their hands truly caught in the cookie jar.