• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

Filmed in California but was suppose to be New Utrecht High School in Bensonhurst. That was the school you actually saw on the saw. The shot under the L[Train tressel] was 86st in Bensonhurt,. I spent the 1st 25 years of my life livin right there.

yeah, that is what I meant, they used the School in the opening shots (I figured most all is filmed in HW)...I like your accent via text!

gator

When I have researched Metro's site for books I want.. I've found many books priced below what OSPG guide value is at. But I understand a business model that a book is priced 2X guide and not discounted.... heck ... we here in our own sales threads price books way above guide because GPA data has dictated such..

Metro has no responsibility to discount anything... it's like a game of cat and mouse.. at the right time.. you'll find books on their site priced well below guide.. half the stuff I see is always listed as 10-25% off...

I like their style and I've always been treated well...

and like one member posted earlier.. if you don't like the price.. move along.. we may be repeat clients.. and you may feel offended when a business doesn't give you a price you want on a book based on past patronage...but business is business... if they've personally insulted you ...then you may have a gripe.. but a business doesn't owe you anything...

I don't understand why folks sometimes feel like they're owed something.. confused-smiley-013.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

5 years before that it was Metros booth (and Vincent treating me like someone who had thousands to spend when he really knew I couldn't even afford the mid grade Aquaman #1 they had)

----------------------------------------------------------

pre-metropolis (what was that, "comic investments" or something like that) vincent was pretty cool when I came up $15 short when I bought a long box of 5/$1 books from him (there was actually some pretty good stuff in there), I offered to write a check, but he said, "no problem, next show". he was actually pretty shocked when I gave him the $15 at the next show. he had no expectation of getting back that $15 I suppose (though I did give him my business card....lawyers who don't have enough money to buy a $50 long box of 5/$1 comics must be very impressive).

of course, this doesn't have much to do with anything with trying to squeeze evey penny out of a $2000 book

But in all honesty, is anyone getting rich over there? Vincent and the rest of the people running that place are most likely doing well enough to eek out middle/UMC lifestyles in this incredibly high COL area. Even though their space is far from prime, I'm sure it still costs an arm and a leg.

So guys, I stuck up for you, can I have the next long box of bronze age drek you throw out with the recycling because it's not worth selling??

I appreciate the kind words. But before you give me a "bad form" understand that sometimes it is better to eat your mistakes then deall with the ramifications of trying to return them. There are many instances where particular dealers take it as an afront to their abilities when presented with a mis-graded or missed resto book. I would never have brought it up if Metro had not paraded out all my past dealings as an example of their generosity as golden-age comic dealers, and my ungratefulness as a customer.

Well, I understand what you are saying, and I'm sure you felt it neccessary to defend your honor- note that two dealers/owners in this thread feel the need to do that, so it was only a matter of time before it "went to eleven". I stand by my comments- it was bad form to state what you did before talking to Steven and Vince, but I'll add that it was just as bad for them to somehow imply you have been less than reasonable/professional/gracious in your dealings with them.

Nevertheless, I feel sure that you and Metropolis can come to terms on this current disagreement/situation and find a compromise.

Just tell Steven to quit calling an ad for Cap his first apperance, and we'll all go back to being friends.

Nate.

[

Nevertheless, I feel sure that you and Metropolis can come to terms on this current disagreement/situation and find a compromise.

Nate.

I am sure that we will.

[

Nate.

I am sure that we will.

893applaud-thumb.gif

hello all...

I think most here on the boards know I like to accumulate GA books at as fast of a pace as my wallet will allow smile.gif and I like to have a good relationship with everyone in this industry, collector and dealer alike...it is just my nature...friendships are far more important to me, than a comic book!

I think most here also know that I have voiced support for Metro many times in the past (they have always done right by me), as I have voiced support for Richard/Bedrock (he has always done right by me)......neither of them need me to be an apologist or an activist for them, but both of them have always treated me as I have wanted to be treated.... and neither of them asked me to chime in on this subject, but I am just prone to add my opinion, even when not solicited! -isn't this Parker's thread, anyway (he knows I like to buy from metro and richard) smile.gif

Metro has a great inventory and I try to buy as many books from them as I can (hey, I am like a kid in a candy store)...and Vincent has always given me the best price possible on books (IMO), and it keeps me coming back to them....if you have not bought from them, my experience is you should give him a try....

Richard also has a great inventory and has also been a great guy to deal with (even when he cleans me out at the poker table!), and he too has always given me the best price possible on books (IMO), and it keeps me coming back to him...and I would say the same thing, if you haven't bought anything from Bedrock, you need to give him a try too, that is my experience....

to me, both guys are great.... to me, billy parker is great (even though he is closet LSU fan!), and I would support him in anything he would ask me to...

so, bottom line is, I can't comment on anyone else's relationship with anyone other than with me, and I support them all (parker, richard and vincent!) and I will continue to work on having a strong reporte with them all...

rick

I like the positive post Rick!

1.) Comics and friendships....

2.) All the rest

This is definitely the way to look at it!

I bought my first GA book from bedrock....he doesn't it know it but I was 17 and it was about 4 years ago at San Diego Comic-Con ...it was a Tec #91 and he was very helpful to a young newbie collector.

5 years before that it was Metros booth (and Vincent treating me like someone who had thousands to spend when he really knew I couldn't even afford the mid grade Aquaman #1 they had) at SD Con that got me hooked on collecting in the first place. I went with a friend and his parents because it sounded like fun and that is where my love affair began.

So I only have fond memories of those two companies and their owners.

Then again I have yet to be burnt in this business so maybe my opinion is biased.

I don’t have the long standing friendships with all the collectors and dealers in this industry, as most of you do. This being said I have yet to meet a collector I didn’t like or a dealer who treated me badly. I hope that this never changes!

Wait I think I was wrong...I bought my first GA book from Bedrock 3 Years ago and my first experience with Metro was 4 years before that... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif..I can't remember...anyway just thought I should fix my mistake grin.gif

Wait I think I was wrong...I bought my first GA book from Bedrock 3 Years ago and my first experience with Metro was 4 years before that... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif..I can't remember...anyway just thought I should fix my mistake grin.gif

It seems like only yesterday...... cloud9.gif

The first Golden Age book I bought from Bedrock was a LOW grade Batman 34 from the "Denny Cobb" colection. That was at least 12 years ago. He is the first place I look for material. Fabric and comics, but thats another story.

One of my first early purchases from Bedrock was back in December 1993 when I bought the Lamont Larson copy of Blue Ribbon 14 from him as a birthday present to myself.

I haven't looked back since because over the years Richard has treated me very fairly, with respect, has never tried to take advantage of me, and has overall been a great source of material. Indeed, quite a few of the GA books in my collection have come from Richard/Bedrock thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif (see the GA Group Shot folder...)

Here's a short stroll down memory lane...

100_2077x.jpg

100_2075.jpg

STEVE (good point SS, image edited and cropped)

The first Golden Age book I bought from Bedrock was a LOW grade Batman 34 from the "Denny Cobb" colection. That was at least 12 years ago. He is the first place I look for material. Fabric and comics, but thats another story.

Wow, the Denny Cobb collection. He had Batman 1 thru 50. Misc. grades. All had his name written on them big as day. At one point I told him it was a shame that he had done that. He was an old guy, and he looked at me and matter-of-factly said, "If I hadn't, they wouldn't be here today. All of my friends would have stolen them!"

Comics with names on the cover have never bothered me since.

Thanks for the stroll, Jeremy!

since we're all telling Bedrock purchase stories,.. My first and only so far book I've purchased from Richard was at last years Mega Con in Florida, I'd drivin' 12 hours down from KY, and ending up buying this book.

th_ActionComics23slabbed1-2.jpg

I bought it raw, and later sent it to be graded.

I remember asking Richard if he visited the CGC boards much, and I remember he said..

" eh, I've been on there maybe once, but haven't really been back " ..

my how times have changed.. grin.gif

since we're all telling Bedrock purchase stories,.. My first and only so far book I've purchased from Richard was at last years Mega Con in Florida, I'd drivin' 12 hours down from KY, and ending up buying this book.

I remember asking Richard if he visited the CGC boards much, and I remember he said..

Hey, I remember that book. So you are the Dude. Are you happy with the grade? I think I might have had it graded a little higher then that (gvg maybe). Let me know if you think I over charged you for it.

Richard

Hey, I remember that book. So you are the Dude. Are you happy with the grade? I think I might have had it graded a little higher then that (gvg maybe). Let me know if you think I over charged you for it.

Richard

Richard, I'm very happy with this book, where else could I get a 2.0 price with the look of a 5.0, I never thought I'd have the first apperance of Lex Luthor at a resonable price..

I think I might have had it graded a little higher then that (gvg maybe).

no, you had it graded at Good plus, 2.5, but I kinda knew it would grade around 2.0 due to the spine splits, but I still had to have it, and am very glad I did.

btw, if you come across any Actions #42,45,47,49 or 50. bring them to Chicago. yay.gif

btw, if you come across any Actions #42,45,47,49 or 50. bring them to Chicago. yay.gif

You got it! See you there.

Wow.

What a thread. It seems like there's a lot of conflict here about the long standing pricing policies that Metro employs. I have no problem with their pricing structure so long as there's no feeling that when I ask to see books or scans and then can't come to a number or an agreement that there's any bitterness.

To me, if it's high quality or rare, Metro is not going to discount it. I go in assuming that -- and if there is a discount great. The fact that they discount on low/mid grade SA and BA and GA that doesn't move makes them like every other dealer out there. Metro prices aggressively, but they generally pay very high as well.

I think the only solution is if you're not happy with the Metro prices, then just don't buy from them -- it's the only real way to change anything.

It's funny to me that there isn't more of a courtesy shown from dealer to dealer as apparently is the case in terms of discount with Richard Evans and Metro. I will sell books to dealers cheaper even when I know I could get more so they can make some profit on a book if they have been fair to deal with in the past. Even if I were a full time dealer -- I would still think it reasonable to extend that courtesy.

Since I know and like both Vincent and Richard, I hope they resolve their professional differences -- but I do think Metro should be aware that when you are the biggest you are also a target -- I think some of these pricing criticisms and discount issues are legitimate -- but they are the owners of the books, and apparently enough people shop with them on a regular basis without complaint.

I have been dealing with them for years, and never had any major issues with them. And the one time we did not see eye to eye, we resolved it and Vincent was fair about it. We're obviously all entitled to our opinions, and if someone feels Metropolis is too rigid with their pricing, then by all means, they should shop elsewhere. And to try to look at this from the perspective of the man who started this thread, as a fellow collector, I certainly support his right to voice his feelings, and as a fellow collector I can understand he may have been frustrated that he could not purchase a book he wanted and the reason being that the ask price was a little steep in his point of view. And that he felt he was not given the proper respect. I think we have all, or most of us, been there. But can Vincent be blamed for stating that he feels this should have been a private conversation between the two of them? I have heard over the years people complaining that they have poor customer service, their prices are too high, they don't answer phone calls/ e-mails, they over grade, and they are arrogant.

I don't know, maybe I am a little old fashioned, but unless a dealer has outright stole from me, or been threatening to me or downright rude, for no good reason, I just don't belive in doing this stuff in public. I would say, yeah, for sure, if that is the case, then DO come on the forum and report it and warn fellow collectors. I would even go as far as to say that if numerous phone calls and/or e-mails don't get answered, and/or if books are being continually shipped late, and/or damaged, then once again, I think collectors should let each other know.

But to be complaining in such a personal way, publically, about their pricing is I think, unfair. Firstly, most of us would probably be running our company almost exactly the same way, business wise, Steve and Vincent are doing, if we were in the same postion. Secondly, if they are so bad, then how are they in business all these years? Consistantly un-competitive pricing, bad customer service, etc., would seem to me to deem they would be out of business by now, or just a shell, and that is just not the case. They seem to be thriving, even with the advant of Heritage and Comic Link. Those guys are also very hardworking men, and I belive if one looks at the effect they have had on the hobby over the years, it has been a positive one and thay have been a major player in helping to drive prices, and expanding the community and gaining respect from the outside world. I realize they are many times on the leading edge of pricing, but I can tell you from experience, and I am sure others can too, that they also are some of the highest payers in the hobby. I don't like it myself sometimes, when I am looking for a book and maybe they are asking what I feel is a year or two out on it. We all want to get the cheapest price we can. But you gotta respect the fact that they probably paid a lot, and they have business expenses. And it also does not mean that becuase they have a book priced high that they are greedy or arrogant, as some might suggest. Steve, becuase he got into it earlier, has set himself up pretty good with his art and comic collection, and give him credit for being not only a hard working guy, disciplined in his finances and purchases, and a savy business person, but also a very discriminating private collector. Should he be put to task for that, and for the timing of when he got into it? And of course I would not know, but I doubt Vincent can retire tommorrow. He probably makes a decent income, but I am sure many of his customers do better. Also, I belive Vincent has certainly paid his dues as a business person in our hobby.

I am aware of the cry that they try to buy collections as cheap as possible and then re-sell at a high price. I am not niave, I know as a person who owns a business that maybe they have purchased a few collections on the cheap, but I would be willing to bet that most of us would do the same if we had the opportunity.

As far as I know, they have always stood behind their product, and I have never heard of them sticking someone with a undisclosed restored comic. They have always been gentlemen to me, courteous, professional and doing their best to meet my needs.

I know there are a few collectors that don't like me simply because I have won a lot of auctions on ebay over the years, and I have been the subject of sometimes mean spirited talk here on the boards because of that. And they don't even know me. I wonder how many people have an ax to grind with Metro becuase they may be just simply be jealous. Or petty. Or ego kings.

I think they are, unfiarly, under a micro-scope, and I bet they could tell twice to three times as many stories about customers treating them badly, then vice-versa. To me the bottom line is don't hold people to standards one can't keep themselves, and Metro, looking at their overall track record, is very much a credit to our hobby.

Joe S.