• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,062 posts in this topic

This was the first heritage live auction I've been through. Was the quality and quantity of JLAs better, the same or worse than prior auctions?

Do you find a lot of HG JLAs go through these auctions? How often does heritage do the live auctions?

This was the first heritage live auction I've been through. Was the quality and quantity of JLAs better, the same or worse than prior auctions?

There've been some great auctions for JLAs and there've been many auctions where there was nothing notable at all. It totally depends on what some consignor has decided to bring to market at any given time. The best single JLA auction on Heritage was probably when the Toths were brought to market. Simply staggering books. Just do a search through their archives for David Toth, and you'll be staggered. Another excellent JLA auction on Heritage was when former boardmember acesilver sold off his collection.

Comiclink has also had some great JLAs. Do a search through their archives... Oh, wait a minute, you can't.

How often does heritage do the live auctions?

Every 3-4 months, I believe.

You're right, that Toth auction was incredible.

Which of those did you get Tim?

Just 8, 10 and 16. You've got 2 of them now.

Auctions like that dont come around very often obviously!

Very true, but just as well, because otherwise collecting JLAs or SA DCs in general would be as unchallenging as collecting Marvels.

Sweet-looking copies, Hepcat.

Tim,

Just out of curiosity, if you were to rank the JLA's that went up for auction, from most sought after to least, which 5 issues would you have ranked 1-5 (obviously from your comments the #29 is first).

I'm not even sure there were 5 really standout JLAs, because I just can't get fired up over issues like 37 or 32, even if they're in 9.8.

I think 3 were fairly noteworthy:

1. 29

2. 11

3. 40

Yea, now my #11 9.6 is no longer special...anyone want it before I toss it?

And not for nuttin, but did it just start raining 9.8s for lower #'s in other titles besides JLA? This must be CGC's business model: after 5 years of a 9.4 barrier, bust out the 9.6 grades to force collectors to upgrade. After 10 years, do it all over again with 9.8 grades- rinse & repeat. So in 5 more years, expect a deluge of 9.9s...? Can you tell I'm upset?

Oh, hi Tim. :whistle: What's up?

Rick

And not for nuttin, but did it just start raining 9.8s for lower #'s in other titles besides JLA? This must be CGC's business model: after 5 years of a 9.4 barrier, bust out the 9.6 grades to force collectors to upgrade. After 10 years, do it all over again with 9.8 grades- rinse & repeat. So in 5 more years, expect a deluge of 9.9s...? Can you tell I'm upset?

Rick

sadly yes. they haven't been tight on grading since the Bush administration, maybe even the first Bush administration :cry:

Okay then. I can sympathize with a fellow DC collector's plight so I'll take it just to relieve the mental anguish I'm sure you must feel.

;)

Here though are scans of some of my earliest Justice League books:

21-08-201182431PM.jpg

21-08-201182436PM.jpg

21-08-201182441PM.jpg

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat

I'm humbled by the fact that this is the first I've seen of this ish. In my defense, I don't even consider appearances/cross-overs until I complete the main title first. But this is definitely on the list.

Delicious copy; what's keeping it from grading higher...URC? I join Tim in my preference of the old labels, for the decreased chance of manipulation as well as the ever building nostalgia for the good ol' days (2001). :cloud9:

Rick

And not for nuttin, but did it just start raining 9.8s for lower #'s in other titles besides JLA?

:news::gossip:

Rick

:hi: Wassup Rick! Just enjoying no longer being part of the comic rat race! :ohnoez:

I had/have a raw vf/nm copy and was on the hunt for one of the two high grade copy's in the census and this popped up on the boards last year and I snapped it up. I alway's thought it was a cool cover.

And not for nuttin, but did it just start raining 9.8s for lower #'s in other titles besides JLA?

:news::gossip:

Rick

:hi: Wassup Rick! Just enjoying no longer being part of the comic rat race! :ohnoez:

Well, if things keep going the way they're going, I'll be joining you shortly.

The #11 9.8 is an "improved" 9.6, by the way...

Just thought I'd get that down in writing now for future reference.

Rick

I wonder how many JLA collections are out there that are entirely comprised of raw books. You would have to think that over time there will be more and more 9.4s, 9.6s and 9.8s for early JLAs that will be graded sooner or later.

Only when the owners want to sell; big difference between Marvel & DC collectors- DCers are much more loyal/hardcore...did I just plant the seeds for a new thread? :slapfight:

Raws get slabbed when they're ready to move, but if a JLA movie never gets off the ground, I see no reason for OO collections to get the CGC treatment/see the light of day.

Confidentially, I still have roughly 65% of my original JLAs (read:upgrades) that I had slabbed back in 2000-2002. Mainly for preservation reasons, displayability, and of course the realization that early old labels would bring a premium due to the quick spread of pressing. I'm a mind reader, doncha know!

Note: I'll say it now- If the proliferation of early ish 9.8s continues without cause(movie), that'll be due to the relaxed grading and/or desire to push the market further. So I'll have to re-sub a bunch. Which means double dipping for CGC, but at least I'll get to benefit like everyone else. for now...until we get engorged with 9.9s. *yahoo* meh

Rick