• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
6 6

1,511 posts in this topic

I've also suspected for some years that Showcase 24 is even more difficult to find in high grade than either Showcase 22 or Showcase 23. It wasn't as commonly hoarded as 22 with Green Lantern's first appearance or 23 with the atomic bomb cover.

hm

Basing by the CGC census numbers on Showcase 24, it is uncommon in 8.0. Though it's scarce in 8.5+ and your copy fits that . If your copy is graded a 9.0+, it is rare and one of a kind . If you check the census for SC22, 7.0 is where it becomes scarce and 7.5+ is where I would categorize as upper high grade. On the other hand, SC23 is super rare in 8.5+. The SC23 in 9.4 is definitely an anomaly.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I just wish I had copies of all of them with sufficient eye appeal to fit into the rest of my collection regardless of the "technical grade", whether that be 8.5, 9.4 or somewhere in between. It may be just an impossible dream though. And it's not as if I passed up on pristine copies thirty years ago. I never did see any of these Showcases in that type of condition at shows or anywhere.

I should have collected enough pop bottles and hunted these Showcases down on the newstand in 1959 and then covered them in Saran wrap and put them up in the rafters of the basement where it was cooler but safe from storm sewer backups and such. As if....

:(

Edited by Hepcat

I've also suspected for some years that Showcase 24 is even more difficult to find in high grade than either Showcase 22 or Showcase 23. It wasn't as commonly hoarded as 22 with Green Lantern's first appearance or 23 with the atomic bomb cover.

hm

I think I have to disagree, I think 24 is the easiest of the 3 to find in nicer condition.

hm

I think I have to disagree, I think 24 is the easiest of the 3 to find in nicer condition.

+1 . The census bears this out. Looking at copies in 8.0 or above...

Issue 22 has 10 copies, Issue 23 has 4 copies, and Issue 24 has 16 copies. Not dramatic, not plentiful but still more than 22 and 23 combined.

Here are scans of a couple more of the Green Lantern books from my collection:

GreenLantern11.jpg

The #11 was the first Green Lantern I ever read as a kid and it left a profound mark on my impressionable young mind. It more so than any other single comic left within me the seed of what would turn out to be a lifelong interest in comics.

GreenLantern12.jpg

:headbang:

Edited by Hepcat

Omnibus? What's the point? Do the reprints in Omnibus include all the shorts, ads and letter pages or just the stories as in the Archives? Is the paper every bit as right as is that of the Archives?

???

Edited by Hepcat