• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

Thats another one that made HA's 10 rarest MLJ list...

Could you post the list please?

I was curious as to which 10 MLJ comics Heritage considered the rarest myself (Note: They did qualify the list with a maybe).

Here's a direct link with the covers represented:

http://comics.ha.com/c/newsletter.zx?frame=no&id=4515#collector-c

GREAT covers all.......great images to share. I did not know that Heritage promoted the 21 but finished with the Hangman 8 as to scarcity.....

The recreation I had Fujitani do for me.....many moons ago

Cool recreation (and is that copy your # 8?) (worship)(worship)

Doesn't hurt that the Blue Ribbon 21 they featured in the article was courtesy of your incredible collection too Mr. Berk.

Frankly as many can attest, I ain't no "Mister". As to having the book in the list which I did not note until yesterday, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

Please note that I do not have any of the books that I do not have (!).......I am just an old geek like you guys that enjoys the bright colors.....jb oh the Hangman 8 is mine.....

Duly noted on 'Mister', sir :baiting:lol

Your Hangman 8 is probably the best iv'e seen that is 'accounted' for. Most that turn up are average about g/vg (which i'd take in a heartbeat :D cuz it's hard to acquire). Again (worship)(worship)

What do you think of later Zips?

Zip38.jpg

Like this one, Andrew posted some cool later Zips maybe a week or to ago also. The post Hero/serious tone covers are lighter in fare, but captivating in their own right.

Yeah I definitely like the later Zips... though if I am being honest I'm more partial to the multi character covers like Steve's 38. And this...

Zip%2036_zpskyx2cufd.jpg

Yeah, that is a cool cover. It's the Pep 36 in the Zip run. This is it's cousin in the Top-Notch run: Ginger was the breakout star in Zip, Suzie was Top-Notch's 'Archie'. She debuted here along with a few others.

Top-NotchLaughComics28_zps9c08434a.jpg

Zip38.jpg

Like this one, Andrew posted some cool later Zips maybe a week or to ago also. The post Hero/serious tone covers are lighter in fare, but captivating in their own right.

Yeah I definitely like the later Zips... though if I am being honest I'm more partial to the multi character covers like Steve's 38. And this...

Zip%2036_zpskyx2cufd.jpg

Yeah, that is a cool cover. It's the Pep 36 in the Zip run. This is it's cousin in the Top-Notch run: Ginger was the breakout star in Zip, Suzie was Top-Notch's 'Archie'. She debuted here along with a few others.

Did someone say "Pep 36?"

archiebook013-2_zpse5e72042.jpg

I usually don't post store inventory, but this one fit the current topic so well...

large-zip_comics_40_cgc.jpg

Zip38.jpg

Zip%2036_zpskyx2cufd.jpg

There it is! Love that copy Steve!!

Here's mine. A bit crooked, but I love it just the same!

Pep36_zps59380689.jpg

I was curious as to which 10 MLJ comics Heritage considered the rarest myself (Note: They did qualify the list with a maybe).

GREAT covers all.......great images to share. I did not know that Heritage promoted the 21 but finished with the Hangman 8 as to scarcity.....

Nice copy! And I love that recreation. You had a few done right? Such great detail! (thumbs u

I'm almost afraid to post mine for fear of dispelling the HA myth!

Hangman8_zps6b58e44b.jpg

Like I said ... almost.

Zip38.jpg

Zip%2036_zpskyx2cufd.jpg

And thus, the Trinity is now complete! Super copy, and those books look awesome together! ( if I say so myself) :D

Nice copy! And I love that recreation. You had a few done right? Such great detail! (thumbs u

I'm almost afraid to post mine for fear of dispelling the HA myth!

Hangman8_zps6b58e44b.jpg

Like I said ... almost.

lol , well then we can all agree on 'scarce' at least? You guys are SO lucky. And yours looks around at least 5.0-5.5 ish? So better than average copy to boot! :cloud9:

And, now for something completely different... A cast signed booklet from the 1940s Archie radio show :)

232af21e-e130-4019-9058-023cc28183d5_zpsesldtep1.jpg

Completely different indeed! Cool Archie artifact, marquee piece. Thanks for sharing! :applause:

And, now for something completely different... A cast signed booklet from the 1940s Archie radio show :)

232af21e-e130-4019-9058-023cc28183d5_zpsesldtep1.jpg

Really nice! Do recordings of the old radio show still exist?

I just read back a few pages in this cool thread and realized I have one of HA's top ten rarest MLJ's. I might have another one as well. I will have to look. I just like Blue Ribbons anyway. Haven't looked in that box for a while and this thread is getting me inspired... Oh, does that "L" mean anything? Seems like I have seen it on books before.

comblueribbon16_zpsehdmdedf.jpg

I just read back a few pages in this cool thread and realized I have one of HA's top ten rarest MLJ's. I might have another one as well. I will have to look. I just like Blue Ribbons anyway. Haven't looked in that box for a while and this thread is getting me inspired... Oh, does that "L" mean anything? Seems like I have seen it on books before.

comblueribbon16_zpsehdmdedf.jpg

:golfclap: cool piece Robot Man! I think most have been accounted for by one boardie or another.

And by the way: I think the 'L' is a 'marking' on what's known as a 'Detroit Trolley Copy'. Very distinguished collection, though not an 'official' pedigree(CGC does not note it on labels of books from the collection) (shrug) . Im certain, a Boardie(or 10 :D ) can give you more info or a link , if you're not already slightly familiar at least with its story.

Edited by Sagii