• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

I just read back a few pages in this cool thread and realized I have one of HA's top ten rarest MLJ's. I might have another one as well. I will have to look. I just like Blue Ribbons anyway. Haven't looked in that box for a while and this thread is getting me inspired... Oh, does that "L" mean anything? Seems like I have seen it on books before.

comblueribbon16_zpsehdmdedf.jpg

:o That is a pretty spectacular copy of a phenomenal book right there!!

I had this in my bucket and am not sure if I posted it before. One of my favorite Archie covers and probably belongs in my"oddball" section. This one I know is from the Cookville collection.

compep48cookville_zpszm38zrhl.jpg

That's one of my favorites as well. It seems a bit grosser when you look closely and notice that there are actually gills at the base of Archie's neck!

I had this in my bucket and am not sure if I posted it before. One of my favorite Archie covers and probably belongs in my"oddball" section. This one I know is from the Cookville collection.

Love it, love it! (thumbs u

Oh, does that "L" mean anything? Seems like I have seen it on books before.

Variations of the "L" are pretty ubiquitous and often get confused with a pedigree (like Detroit Trolleys or wrongly for Larsons). In most cases, it doesn't mean anything I'm afraid.

Love it, love it! (thumbs u

This was always one of my favorites as well. Not sure if it's because the art is so much fun, or because it's one of the earliest Pep's I ever bought, but I'm a fan either way! Nice looking copy too. I should pull mine for a look, it's been a while.

This is a repeat for me but I don't recall seeing this issue posted in the flurry of recent Pep sightings. I am big Jack Cole fan and this has one of a handful of stories he drew starring "The Comet."

Hat tip to sacentaur for letting this one go. (worship)

Pep3.jpg

This is a repeat for me but I don't recall seeing this issue posted in the flurry of recent Pep sightings. I am big Jack Cole fan and this has one of a handful of stories he drew starring "The Comet."

Pep3.jpg

Nice one Adam! Early Shield! :applause::applause::applause:

I have a fondness for the 1940s "NYC under attack" covers, and I've always liked this one in particular. (thumbs u Those parachute bombs are a riot!

I have a fondness for the 1940s "NYC under attack" covers, and I've always liked this one in particular. (thumbs u Those parachute bombs are a riot!

They're mines. Even with the Shield's assistance I'm curious as to why the nazis were dropping them on their own wolf-pack. hm

They're mines. Even with the Shield's assistance I'm curious as to why the nazis were dropping them on their own wolf-pack. hm

I think Shield was helping "direct" them.

I believe this was one of the earliest German war covers on a comic.

My pleasure adam, it's gratifying to know that you enjoy this particular book so much!

I've yet to have such a nice Pep 3 cross my path again. :P

I think Shield was helping "direct" them.

I believe this was one of the earliest German war covers on a comic.

It is a beauty. (worship)

Someday I may pull together a pre-Dusty run in grade, but for now I'll console myself admiring your gorgeous copy of #3.

My pleasure adam, it's gratifying to know that you enjoy this particular book so much!

I've yet to have such a nice Pep 3 cross my path again. :P

Wow Steve. You sold that for just cash? I couldn't have let a Lamont beauty like that go unless I needed a kidney or something!

I couldn't have let a Lamont beauty like that go unless I needed a kidney or something!

Actually, new kitchen cabinets for the wife (just as important as a kidney, if you know what I mean).

Pennsylvania copy - Montana signed the cover in the bottom right-hand corner of the chalkboard:

4c952de7-d732-4056-b335-8c75cd913244_zps3bnots8o.jpg

And we're back! :applause: nice War Cover! With a blonde Web on this one. Seriously, what was up with the hair color changes on the covers with this character? lol