• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

Very nice. do you have a no# 3? That has to be a MLJ grail of mine.

I do have a Hangman #3, but it's only mid-grade so I didn't scan it.

Great book, here's the famous opening splash page...

100_1053.jpg

Very nice. do you have a no# 3? That has to be a MLJ grail of mine.

I do have a Hangman #3, but it's only mid-grade so I didn't scan it.

Great book, here's the famous opening splash page...

100_1053.jpg

Wow that is graphic for something intended for kids. Makes me wonder what age group their target audience was? I am much too young to have bought off the stands but I know that when I was a kid if I had had comics like this my mother would have confiscated them immediately.

Even a mid grade copy is great. A truly awesome collection you have sir.

When I wrote an article about MLJ some 20 years ago for Overstreet's Gold & Silver Quarterly, I remember being awestruck how colorful that MLJ interiors generally were:

100_1111.jpg

MLJ interiors are often overlooked, too:

91568ae8-dbce-45b4-abd2-78abd705b1e7_zpsoa5uh6nr.jpg

All-in-all, MLJ is a publisher definitely worth exploring!

So I picked this up yesterday. I'd been looking for a copy for a while, and actually remembered tracking the auction the last time it was on the block in '02 on HA. I remember thinking at the time, and still do to this day, how is this only a 4.0?

I'll send it for a new label and holder with my next batch of submissions, but I'm not sure if I should go for a re-grade. It presents so well, and it's just going to stay in my collection. Open to opinions on the matter... :popcorn:

BR18%20f_zpsnypwivuz.jpg

BR18%20b_zpsdyhjwyw1.jpg

Edited by GoldenPRGuy

So I picked this up yesterday. I'd been looking for a copy for a while, and actually remembered tracking the auction the last time it was on the block in '02 on HA. I remember thinking at the time, and still do to this day, how is this only a 4.0?

I'll send it for a new label and holder with my next batch of submissions, but I'm not sure if I should go for a re-grade. It presents so well, and it's just going to stay in my collection. Open to opinions on the matter... :popcorn:

BR18%20f_zpsnypwivuz.jpg

BR18%20b_zpsdyhjwyw1.jpg

:golfclap: Welcome to the club! My copy of this book (Rockford)is also in an old CGC holder coincidentally. I agree, the book looks better than grade. I'd keep it in the old holder myself, but if you want the uniformity i can understand. Super acquisition!

BR18%20f_zpsnypwivuz.jpg

Andrew, congrat's on getting a great book. :applause:

If you're going to re-holder it for uniformity, there's probably not much reason to pay to have it re-graded unless you're going to sell. It presents so well as is, if it's a "keeper" then that's what really matters.

BR18%20f_zpsnypwivuz.jpg

Andrew, congrat's on getting a great book. :applause:

If you're going to re-holder it for uniformity, there's probably not much reason to pay to have it re-graded unless you're going to sell. It presents so well as is, if it's a "keeper" then that's what really matters.

I agree...I too would reholder as well bc I like the newer labels (personal preference) and I like them all the same (OCD) but if it's a keeper no need to regrade the book it is a beauty plus think of the time it will be away from you. Turnaround isn't to bad for a reholder. Now on the other hand if you have future plans of giving them to someone when you are gone and are unsure if they will hang onto it or resell if might be good to get it regraded and save them the hassle since they most likely won't know what to do there...or simply if it's going to bother you. Its all a personal preference as stated mine would be to keep the grade and get a new label.

Upside to regrade would be to crack it out and read it before sending in those moments can't be topped!!! Either way the book and you are a big ^^

With two pristine copies currently up for auction by two of the big three,thought i'd share mine. Love this Knight cover. Condition wise not on those levels, but it's mine. :cloud9:

Top-Notch%20Comics%2012_zpsouiqwt9v.jpg