• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insanity on e-bay??

33 posts in this topic

What the hell is going on !!?? Sure, I'm bitter I lost out on 2 recent ebay auctions, but does this make sense???

Detective Comics #35 ----- CGC'd 1.5 with brittle pages goes for $3150!!!!!

Action Comics #20 ------ CGC'd 5.5 goes for $2580.00 !!!!!!

That's more than 3X guide for the Tec and more than 2X guide for the Action.....I know I'm mentally ill, but tell me no other Board member could possibly be more ill!! I deal with Metro quite a bit for my acquisitions, and I know they take a lot of heat for their pricing, but man I never see prices like these anywhere. Having said all this, I did have a max. bid of 3K for the Tec and $2500 for the Action, so someone obviously wanted these just a bit more than I did.........

Very frustrated FISH :mad:

You're feeding the monster with your bids.

I think I'm most upset that I got sucked in to the ebay "trap" -- I had in my mind originally not to go higher than $2500 for the Tec and $2000 for the Action, but........................................................................

That always happens Fish. You gotta resist the eBay "trap" and let the auction ride for the length before bidding...early bidding just encourages higher bids, and then we all suffer by paying more than what the items are really worth---great for eBay and the seller :grin:

The Tec 35 final auction price was more of a surprise than the Action 20---I had the Tec 35 going for $2k max, and the Action about $2k as welll....can't believe the Tec hit that high with the slightly brittle pages...

PT

I think I'm most upset that I got sucked in to the ebay "trap" -- I had in my mind originally not to go higher than $2500 for the Tec and $2000 for the Action, but........................................................................

That always happens Fish. You gotta resist the eBay "trap" and let the auction ride for the length before bidding...early bidding just encourages higher bids, and then we all suffer by paying more than what the items are really worth---great for eBay and the seller :grin:

The Tec 35 final auction price was more of a surprise than the Action 20---I had the Tec 35 going for $2k max, and the Action about $2k as welll....can't believe the Tec hit that high with the slightly brittle pages...

PT

Well said and absolutely right on.......I guess my real problem is , with both of these auctions, I knew I wouldn't be available to go online and bid right at auction's end, so I got desparate........live and learn!!

F

PT

Well said and absolutely right on.......I guess my real problem is , with both of these auctions, I knew I wouldn't be available to go online and bid right at auction's end, so I got desparate........live and learn!!

F

:gossip: www.bidnip.com

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you miss.

You should get another shot and may find cheaper copies or better copies for the same price.

What the hell is going on !!?? Sure, I'm bitter I lost out on 2 recent ebay auctions, but does this make sense???

Action Comics #20 ------ CGC'd 5.5 goes for $2580.00 !!!!!!

That's more than 3X guide for the Tec and more than 2X guide for the Action.....I know I'm mentally ill, but tell me no other Board member could possibly be more ill!! I deal with Metro quite a bit for my acquisitions, and I know they take a lot of heat for their pricing, but man I never see prices like these anywhere. Having said all this, I did have a max. bid of 3K for the Tec and $2500 for the Action, so someone obviously wanted these just a bit more than I did.........

Very frustrated FISH :mad:

Stupid money for decaying paper.

Glad I decided not to bid on those.

With low grade keys there always seems to be the overbid.

Many see it as their only opportunity to buy a rare key and bid accordingly.

Fish - there's always a better comic round the corner.

I know this is a GA thread, but just last week I sold a X-Men 1 raw solid 4.0/4.5 on ebay for $2025.00, I just about passed out, this summer I sold a graded 3.0 for 700.00, I was thinking it would go for about 1K, blew me away! Ebay insanity! Oh, well makes up for all the give away prices, but still mind boggling.

GA keys, seem to amaze me everyday especially in low grade!!!

hello all...

as a general rule, Tec 35 sells for about 4-5x guide in lower/mid grade, about about 2-3 x guide in higher grades...so, if the 35 had of had off white pages, it would have pushed $4500 or more...that realized price actually is on the low end (maybe a sign?)...

same with actions, most mid grades are pusing 2+ x guide right now, so ebay is really on the money with those 2...

rick

I thought the Tec 31 sold by the same seller was a pretty decent buy. Not sure about the final bidder though and if its a shill you have to start to wonder about the whole thing.

The same bidder with 0 feedback won the Tec 35 as well....Very expensive books to start buying on ebay hm

I thought the Tec 31 sold by the same seller was a pretty decent buy. Not sure about the final bidder though and if its a shill you have to start to wonder about the whole thing.

interesting you mention that...I had offered the seller $4K, told him that would be the most i would bid, so he told me to bid that and see if I win for less :gossip: ...so I wonder if my max proxy bid was "pushed" up, but in the end I decided $4K was too much, so my max was lower...I wonder if the "winner" was shocked to be a winner?

gator

What the hell is going on !!??

:banana::banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

This book I bought from Rick ( Detective27Kid ) last year ( shown here "raw" ). It graded Universal / no graders notes / 5.0 / Off-White pages.

I have had consistant inquiries to see if I wanted to sell ( or consign to an auction house or 2 ) every month or so since we did that deal. Tec 35 has "the magic".......just like Suspense 3, Pep 22, Fantastic 3 etc. etc.

1 year later...thanks again Rick! :acclaim:

Steve

47741-metrotec35.JPG.fbff47cb1eb27e64e9aaebf5b6be906d.JPG

ebay has become a very violatile marketplace recently...lots of weird price swings back and forth.

You could buy a book for a GPA low one day, and see it sell for a near GPA high a few days later.

Either way, did anyone grab anything from Bill Hughes' recent auction?

I think I won 5-6 books, most of them at below GPA prices.

I love Bill as a dealer, but I question the logic of placing so many nice books into a marketplace at a traditionally slow time of year, sandwiched between a recent Comiclink auction and right before a Heritage signature auction.

Most of the prices garnered were so-so only.

I'm right there with ya Fish, as I had a snipe set for the Action #20 for $2,300. (obviously I'm not as mentally ill as you are :insane:) thinking that it would end up around $1,700 or so. My snipe didn't even bid since the price was already above my snipe amount.

what really steams my bean is that a well known "Flipper" won the auction, and now the book will sit in his ebay store at 1/3 higher or whatever amount, well I'm not biting, he can choke on it for all I care. (still a little steamed can't you tell).

however, I can see NO reason to bid crazy money on any book with Brittle pages. (TEC 35) that is something I will never understand.

and yes, I believe both Tec auctions were shilled. just my opinion.

equally frustrated dude. :censored:

There seem to be more collectors focusing on Action Comics everyday.

shhhhh !!!!, no no that's inacurate, I believe all the fuss is still in Tecs, Actions are not worthy of collecting.. move along now to Timelys and Tecs. :shy: