• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,138 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2024 at 3:28 PM, johnenock said:

Bought this for the MacDonald story:

Super Science Stories Jul 50.jpeg

Which one?  "Peter Reed" is a pseudonym for MacDonald as well.

Sadly, I find that generally (not always) Super Science Stories tends to mostly have stories that weren't good enough to sell to other markets, and that's certainly true of MacDonald's work on the title.  There's a few exceptions.

Recently read The Fiction Factory on the first hundred years of Street & Smith.  Some fascinating backstory on some of the characters/writers/house names in the story papers, nickels, dimes, and pulps.

Regarding Nicholas Carter, Frederick Dey took over the character invented by the son of founder Francis Smith and John Coryell, and the headline in the NYT on his death says it all:
"Creator of Nick Carter Kills Himself: Penniless After Writing 40,000,000 Words" :whistle:

Many other writers wrote under the pen name as well

Yeah, ol' Horatio 'bootstraps' Alger wrote a few words, too, and didn't end up too much better off.

Ormond and the rest of the Smith clan did O.K., though.  hm

Not that there wasn't a lot of hard work and genius going on there, too.

MaconMoore-TheSouthernDetective(HoodsHomeLibrary036)(1906)cover.thumb.jpg.d7f1214faad12947ed246db33d5799b5.jpg

From my collection. Thought it was a dime, but apparently it cost a quarter.  Copyright date shows 1906 but actual date is 1914-195.  The South's got our detectives, too. Err, published in Massachusetts.  House ad on the back page, as Hood's Home Library was printed by a firm more remembered for their "patent medicines" but who also printed calendars, greeting cards, posters and who knows what else.  Name still visible on the smoke stack.

7104318991_83400d7680.jpg

web_cihood_pep.thumb.jpg.6dcdfab90f7cf3063e0fea346d0bcb4b.jpg

http://www.cliffhoyt.com/cihood.htm

Like many of these more famous dimes, this was reprinted a *number* of times

This looks to be the 1906 Ogilvie printing the copyright date refers to:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.8035d70155b1826d60fd2806a091ed47.jpg

But hell if it was reprinted in a lot of other libraries as well. I count inclusion in 12 different Library Series.  Original source?  Good old Street & Smith's publication, the New York Weekly, where they got their start peddling pulp - the paper they slowly bought from owner Amos Williamson.  Francis Smith himself wrote a hell of a lot of pulp for the paper. Chapter 1,

Screenshot(190).thumb.png.f90787b3cd374b72603ea431088a6816.png

A killer scan of the first entry there (and a couple others) linked as well as publication history for Macon Moore, Southern Detective here:

https://dimenovels.org/Item/2378/Show

I thought Judson R. Taylor might have been Smith himself, but it's actually a pseudonym for Harlan Page Halsey who later did Old Sleuth:

http://gadetection.pbworks.com/w/page/7930720/Halsey%2C Harlan Page

Pull the string on one of these dimes and you never know where it'll go hm  Darwination, Pulp Detective :roflmao:

The story papers were kind of the birth of pulp.  When newspapers started to offer all sorts of product for an even lower price, S&S figured out they could package old serials in nickels and dimes or offer a tremendous amount of fiction for a dime in magazines like Ainslee's or The Popular Magazine.  Happen to be working on an early Popular this morning (before I got derailed as I often do nyuk nyuk) from a group buy for the pulpscans group, 1904-04, the sixth issue.  Some experimentation going on on the earlier covers with colorized photos:

Popular1904-04p0000acoverandspineforSas.thumb.jpg.61ee1f543e63c7112365a1abe8f8d016.jpg

It'll look *a little* different by the time I'm done with it.

The Popular *truly* takes off eight months later after S&S manages to secure H. Rider Haggard's Ayesha, a gothic-fantasy more in the vein of how most of us think about pulp.

popular_190501.jpg.ed018268819b001c2eadf52164c4d050.jpg

Edited by Darwination