• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,413 posts in this topic

Cool photo BOOT! As a kid, I used to store my books stacked like that in a corner. :grin:

This is a little early for Thanksgiving but I hope this post will be a calming respite from all the contentious debates.

I think I will start a tradition by having an annual Thanksgiving comic puzzle as long as I keep finding some interesting comic-related pictures and work is light around this time.

Identify these people from the comics industry:

1. 20743677-9c9.jpg

2. 20743824-14a.jpg

3. 20743684-080.jpg

4. 20743685-f75.jpg

5. 20743687-1b0.jpg

Identify these celebrities:

6. 20743680-1f5.jpg

7. Let this be a warning to those of you who smoke too close to your comics!

This guy is not an American. Who is he? :grin:

20743686-8a9.jpg

video games:

8. In New York City, identify the comic

9. I posted this pic of a newsstand (April 1941) in Camp Murray in Tacoma Washington a couple of years ago.

The soldiers seem more interested in the magazines and pulps instead of the comics. :)

campmurraytacoma.jpg

This picture of the same newsstand above appears to be taken before soldiers got there since a few magazine piles appear larger.

See if you can identify all the comics & pulps. I'll post my list of comics later. :grin:

20743725-b9f.jpg

Answers to Thanksgiving quiz.

1. John Severin

2. Cullen Murphy & John Cullen Murphy, Prince Valiant artists, Feb 1997

3. George Evans

4. Bob Montana 1973

5. Jack Burnley

6. Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy author) & Nick Landau (co-founder of Forbidden Planet store & co-owner of Titan Entertainment Group) London Oct 1979

7. Serge Gainsbourg (French singer, actor, director & artist)

8. Popular #145

9. newsstand comics at Camp Murray

prize 11, popular 63, mystery men 23, green hornet 3, weird 15, fight 13, super 36, four color 9 (terry & the pirates), true 2, fantastic 19, blue bolt 13, ace 50, hit 12, magic 22, bill barnes 3, more fun 68, shadow 11, crackajack funnies 35, startling 7, big shot 13

Nick Landau may be a key figure in the development of British fandom (and without question the man who has done the best out of it) but he is not a celebrity.

Great picture though, and I should've spotted Douglas Adams sitting next to him.

See if you can identify all the comics & pulps

20743725-b9f.jpg

That's a fabulous picture!

(thumbs u

Hmmm. Weird Tales and the Sci-Fi seem to be placed out of the reach of children.

I know the photo is white washed, but those pulps look so fresh... :cloud9: and I'm not even a pulp fan!

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I love this pic.

I wonder if the kid in the awesome costume was reading the book when it was fresh out of print or some time later. Considering Cap America #2 came out only a month after Cap America's first appearance, the kid discovered and liked the character pretty fast and had a very fast sewing mom :applause:

trades-2-ct.jpg

I wonder if the kid in the awesome costume was reading the book when it was fresh out of print or some time later. Considering Cap America #2 came out only a month after Cap America's first appearance, the kid discovered and liked the character pretty fast and had a very fast sewing mom :applause:

trades-2-ct.jpg

yah posted before but quite a picture with a Cap 2!

trades-2-ct.jpg

I seem to remember seeing this photo in an article about comic conventions in an old monster magazine (Monsters and Heroes? Castle of Frankenstein?). So it might be from the late 1960's, and the kid's in costume for the convention.

trades-2-ct.jpg

yah posted before but quite a picture with a Cap 2!

:cry:

:hi:

trades-2-ct.jpg

I seem to remember seeing this photo in an article about comic conventions in an old monster magazine (Monsters and Heroes? Castle of Frankenstein?). So it might be from the late 1960's, and the kid's in costume for the convention.

No clue where the picture is from, but what is the "plastic" thing on the kid's left hand?

Something associated with the shield? Some sort of comic protection? (shrug)

trades-2-ct.jpg

No clue where the picture is from, but what is the "plastic" thing on the kid's left hand?

It is a water mark "CT" :makepoint:

trades-2-ct.jpg

It is a water mark "CT" :makepoint:

doh!lol

Thank you William.