• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

harrytoy.jpg

I have a copy of one of the issues on his desk -- it looks like Adventure Comics 128 behind the pen...

And that's All-Star Comics #40 bottom center. Looks like there's a second copy of Is This Tomorrow peeking out of the stack.

1948 Comic Book Collection in Washington DC Press Photo zae979.jpg

I love this pic. Looks like the book are in great shape. Over his right shoulder, you can see New York World's Fair 1940.

I love this pic. Looks like the book are in great shape. Over his right shoulder, you can see New York World's Fair 1940.

His collection goes back quite a few years. He's holding Famous Funnies #17 from December 1935.

His collection goes back quite a few years. He's holding Famous Funnies #17 from December 1935.

which means there must be some DCs or Timelys buried in those stacks :cool:

This kid could very well still be alive. Based on the photo, he'd be 75-76 years old.

This kid could very well still be alive. Based on the photo, he'd be 75-76 years old.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but that kid has fingers like E.T.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but that kid has fingers like E.T.

probably means he played guitar

I'll be running a full page ad with this photo across the nation next Sunday asking him to contact me if he still all those books.

and in the apparent NM conditions pictured of course

:idea:

Edited by comicartcom

before tv & video games, comics were a cheap distraction for kids in hospitals.

here's a few pics of kids with comics in the hospital...

kids sharing capt marvel jr 66 after recovering from polio in corona calif 1948

94508429.jpg

recovering from rheumatic fever july 1951

police 95, red ryder 73, looney tunes 109, jiggs & maggie 15, a popeye comic in front

EXM-N-9222-0051.jpg

kid actor albert monoz donating comics to children's hospital august 1951

dagwood 2, alan ladd 2, walt disney 127, four color 313(mickey mouse), katzenjammer kids 10, batman 62 next to the alan ladd

EXM-N-9244-0062.jpg

kids reading comics while getting blood tranfusions. i wonder how many kids or people today

would be placated with a comic book while going through this procedure?

tlp890024.jpg

a poignant picture of kid in an iron lung reading a comic

ironlung.jpg

here's a picture that i had on another thread that a few of you may not have seen-

there's gotta be an elvis comic reading pic. looks like an archie comic.

07_12_07_elvis1a.jpg

before tv & video games, comics were a cheap distraction for kids in hospitals.

here's a few pics of kids with comics in the hospital...

kids reading comics while getting blood tranfusions. i wonder how many kids or people today

would be placated with a comic book while going through this procedure?

tlp890024.jpg

they would all be on there iPhones texting, surfing the net, or watching a movie. :P

in the 2010 comic-con souvenir book, there is a picture of kids reading comics from a book

excerpt "75 years of DC comics: the Art of Modern Mythmaking" that is coming out

in the fall.

nyckids.jpg

the boy is reading an action 62 in a manhattan nyc tenement lot in 1943.

i recognized this image since i have a lower resolution copy of this image from the

nyc municipal archives.

here is the uncropped image. the notes say this was taken in a manhattan tenement lot

bordering 1st & 2nd ave, between 17th & 18th street in 1943.

boe_0949-39.jpg

in the 2010 comic-con souvenir book, there is a picture of kids reading comics from a book

excerpt "75 years of DC comics: the Art of Modern Mythmaking" that is coming out

in the fall.

nyckids.jpg

the boy is reading an action 62 in a manhattan nyc tenement lot in 1943.

i recognized this image since i have a lower resolution copy of this image from the

nyc municipal archives.

here is the uncropped image. the notes say this was taken in a manhattan tenement lot

bordering 1st & 2nd ave, between 17th & 18th street in 1943.

boe_0949-39.jpg

very cool.....love these images from times gone by