• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

5PointsNewsstand.jpg

great pics ajax. i believe these pics are from jacksonville florida in 1949.

anyone have the free time to identify all the comics? i'll pick an easy one: a-1 #21 joan of arc

where's all the timelys? :grin:

How'd you know they are from FL ? Seen them before.? I'll have to double-check where I found them.

(five minutes later) YEP...sure enough.....

Here is the website link to the pics .... LINK-A-DOODLE-DO

And a BIG PICTURE of that newsstand RIGHT HERE

Edited by ajaxfarrell

How'd you know they are from FL ? Seen them before.? I'll have to double-check where I found them.

(five minutes later) YEP...sure enough.....

Here is the website link to the pics .... LINK-A-DOODLE-DO

yep that's the site i found the photos about a month ago but i was holding back since i double check the descriptions and try to identify the comics. they had the wrong date of 1950 for the florida pics because after identifying some of the comics the correct date of the photos is 1949. ajax, you got me hooked on looking for newsstand photos. i found a lot of pics with comics but i didn't want to hog thread. i'm glad you posted them. i found another newsstand pic in the last 5 minutes. more to come...

closeup view, he's immortalized picking his nose and holding lone ranger 38 & looney tunes 118

pittbusdetail.jpg

Oh I had this copy .. it's the famous "snot copy" with the pages stuck together

He certainly picked a winner...

Forget the comic, that is some vintage cabanaware.

Edited by scooter99

close-up of the great comic rack on the left....

comic-stand.jpg

Cool photo - just a great diversity of comics (both companies and genres). I only spot one DC (funny animal) and one Atlas (Western) one the rack. Hard to imagine a time when the big two weren't dominating the comic racks!

DC's were probably on a different rack as was probably donald duck & wdcs. Timelys are only down to a few titles at this point (they only ever had a few titles anyway.. what are there like 400 timelys total?

With respect to Timely, I think your thinking of superheroes. They were still publishing tons of humor, romance, and crime comics in addition to the superheroes and none of those are shown here either. There could potentially be at least one to two dozen Timely titles on the newsstand for any given month in 1949.

They must have been on another rack. The Archie books are missing as well although they did only have about 8 titles.

The Wild Western being issue # 8 with a cover date of June / July dates the pic circa June 1949 let's say. Up to Summer 1949, here were the Timely titles on the newsstands:

Marvel Mystery Comics

Tiny Tessie

Joker Comics

Gay Comics(2nd - Fall 44)

Tessie the Typist

Frankie Comics

Margie Comics

Hedy De Vine Comics

Jeanie Comics

Rusty Comics

Cindy Comics

Junior Miss(2nd - Apr 47)

Blaze Carson

Crimefighters

Frankie and Lana

Lana

Lawbreakers Always Lose

Comedy Comics(2nd - May 48)

Tex Morgan

Tex Taylor

Awful Oscar

Best Western

Frankie Fuddle

Little Lenny

Mitzi's Romances

True Complete Mystery

Western Winners

Amazing Mysteries

Little Lizzie

That's 29 titles. Timely was really in transition with its books at the time. The company published a ton more different titles over 1949 many ended before June but also a lot started later in the Fall, a partial list is found below. These are the Timely titles that debuted from July on in 1949. YES the Timely ROMANCE CRAZE was fully on at the end of 1949 and into 1950! That's 18 romance titles!!

Best Love

Blaze the Wonder Collie

Captain America's Weird Tales

Casey - Crime Photographer

Cowboy Romances

Cupid

Faithful

Film Funnies

Little Lana

Love Classics

Love Dramas

Love Secrets

Love Trails

Loveland

My Diary

My Love

Our Love

Rangeland Love

Rex Hart

Romance Diary

Romance Tales

Romances of the West

True Life Tales

True Western

Western Life Romances

Wonder Duck

Young Hearts

They must have been on another rack. The Archie books are missing as well although they did only have about 8 titles.

all these next 3 pics are from the same jacksonville florida newsstand:

5Ptj-villefla50s.jpg

most of the archies are here.

5PtsNewsstand2.jpg

this a pic from across the street

5PtsNewsstand4.jpg

Post 'em if you got 'em! No need to hold back!

i'm holding back for a little bit to verify the descriptions are correct. for example an online writer says this is a pic of a depression-era nyc newsstand from the 1930s. well everyone knows that in the pic is wilbur #8 & hit comics #35 from 1945 and not from the 1930s! :D

the other comics are too blurry for me to identify. maybe a jo-jo and a sub-mariner?

nyc1945.jpg

i don't want to get hammered on these boards for incorrect information. :grin:

The Archies in this picture are no earlier than 1954. The logo on the issue of Pep in the picture was first used in Nov 1954. I can't identify any of the covers but that particular logo was only used for 10 issues.

It would be great to go back in time to that newsstand. They have tons of comics!

5PtsNewsstand2.jpg

The Archies in this picture are no earlier than 1954. The logo on the issue of Pep in the picture was first used in Nov 1954. I can't identify any of the covers but that particular logo was only used for 10 issues.

5PtsNewsstand2.jpg

you are correct about the later date of this picture since i recognize four color 661 frosty the snowman issue which had a publication date of november 1955.

im pretty sure thats a katy keene 24 and the pep is 114 which puts this around september 1955, and since katy keene was a bi-monthly that matches the other comic stated above.

I love being able to figure out the rough dates without specifically seeing the issue.

I was wrong its KK #26 which was Jan 56.

105498.jpg.0ece33de7136a20d1334344bf01eebf6.jpg

Edited by njwis

The Wild Western being issue # 8 with a cover date of June / July dates the pic circa June 1949 let's say. Up to Summer 1949, here were the Timely titles on the newsstands:

Excellent research Scrooge :golfclap:

Edited by ajaxfarrell

I just posted another 30 scans from this thread onto my site, bringing the total to over 100. I'm sure that page was getting a bit cumbersome to load, so I created thumbnails for all the pics. I think it's much more manageable now. Hope you all like! :hi:

If you've got sigs turned off, here's a link... Vintage Pics with Comics!