• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

1948 Comic Book Collection in Washington DC Press Photo zae979.jpg

I love this pic. Looks like the book are in great shape. Over his right shoulder, you can see New York World's Fair 1940.

His collection goes back quite a few years. He's holding Famous Funnies #17 from December 1935.

This kid could very well still be alive. Based on the photo, he'd be 75-76 years old.

Too late. That's Davis Crippen.

hm didn't know that

Seriously, is that really him?

it saddens and pains me to see a picture like the one below as a comic book fanatic. the crusade against comic books in the 40s & 50s by churches, PTAs and parents culminated in the senate hearings in the 50s leading to the comics code. ultimately, restricting the content in comics probably did not have a major impact in reducing the problems of youth such as crime, delinquency, promiscuity and substance abuse since the problems were deeply rooted in a changing society at that period in time.

7th grade students from Star of Sea grammar school located in San Francisco are tearing up comic books in a campaign against the "evils" of comics in spring 1954.

the keynote speaker was elizabeth cahill (center), the daughter of the chief of police thomas cahill. anyone see an action 1? :eek:

comics-crusade54.jpg

in a detailed inset, the girl in the lower left is tearing up weird fantasy 16 and the girl next to her doesn't look too happy. the source of the pictures commented these actions probaby limited the stock of certain comics and raised the value for future collectors. :D

crusade54-detail.jpg

there's should be no crying in comics but i might... :cry:

it saddens and pains me to see a picture like the one below as a comic book fanatic. the crusade against comic books in the 40s & 50s by churches, PTAs and parents culminated in the senate hearings in the 50s leading to the comics code. ultimately, restricting the content in comics probably did not have a major impact in reducing the problems of youth such as crime, delinquency, promiscuity and substance abuse since the problems were deeply rooted in a changing society at that period in time.

7th grade students from Star of Sea grammar school located in San Francisco are tearing up comic books in a campaign against the "evils" of comics in spring 1954.

the keynote speaker was elizabeth cahill (center), the daughter of the chief of police thomas cahill. anyone see an action 1? :eek:

comics-crusade54.jpg

in a detailed inset, the girl in the lower left is tearing up weird fantasy 16 and the girl next to her doesn't look too happy. the source of the pictures commented these actions probaby limited the stock of certain comics and raised the value for future collectors. :D

crusade54-detail.jpg

It would have been a site :o to see if those girls were holding Action 1s or Tec 27s or even AF 15s. :grin:

Many of these kids were peer pressured by adults to comply with their program. These kids didn't really want to burn their books. Which book was it, I think it was "The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America" by David Hajdu. Great read about the whole Crime/Horror comics scare.

Many of these kids were peer pressured by adults to comply with their program. These kids didn't really want to burn their books. Which book was it, I think it was "The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America" by David Hajdu. Great read about the whole Crime/Horror comics scare.

I like the guy Hajdu tracked down who was involved in the burnings as a teenager. In true teen boy style, he recalled hiding a box full of GGA jungle comics to save them. lol

I like the guy Hajdu tracked down who was involved in the burnings as a teenager. In true teen boy style, he recalled hiding a box full of GGA jungle comics to save them. lol

Smart kid. (thumbs u

it saddens and pains me to see a picture like the one below as a comic book fanatic.

There they go...off to be burned! I see Astonishing, Uncanny Tales, Web Of Mystery, Strange Fantasy, Big Town, Voodoo, maybe even a Lone Ranger (those ladies were tough!). Poor little boy doesn't look too happy...

104287.jpg.0eb2404ce39848a880c3e0ce0dd42842.jpg

how about a more recent picture? here's canadian dealer doug sulipa reading fantastic four 1 on jan 22 1977. in the foreground is wdc&s 1, x-men 1, crime suspenstories 20, hulk 1, green lantern 1, spirit 1, amazing spiderman 1, avengers 1, superboy 1 & conan 1. i'm not able to identify the other books. try to imagine what is in those other stacks...

sulipa1-22-77.jpg

Reminds me of Uncle Scrooge in his money bin...

It would have been a site :o to see if those girls were holding Action 1s or Tec 27s or even AF 15s. :grin:

primetime: in a 2004 interview, the late actor david carridine mentioned he had a detective 27 in his collection but his dad burned his comic collection in the 1940s because he believed comics were a "bad influence" on carridine. ouch! carridine didn't say if he got another copy but he still maintained an interest in comics throughout his life.

scrooge: you have sharp eyes. could one of those torn books be in your march 1952 gallery? i bet you could identify almost all those books being torn up. :grin:

in a 2004 interview, the late actor david carridine mentioned he had a detective 27 in his collection but his dad burned his comic collection in the 1940s because he believed comics were a "bad influence" on carridine. ouch! carridine didn't say if he got another copy but he still maintained an interest in comics throughout his life.

At the 1989 San Diego Comic-Con I was set up with Howard Rockman from Albuquerque (at the time I was managing his comic store there). A guy came up to the table and asked if we had any Supersnipe Comics. The guy looked like a bum. He had pants on that were so dirty I swear they would stand up on their own.I had to look at him a few times before I realized it was David Carradine. It was shocking how unhealthy he looked.

Well we had one Supersnipe that he liked and he wrote us a check for $40 for it. When we got back home the check bounced. Howard could never collect on it so we put it up for sale in the shop for $40. It sold in about a day.

in a 2004 interview, the late actor david carridine mentioned he had a detective 27 in his collection but his dad burned his comic collection in the 1940s because he believed comics were a "bad influence" on carridine. ouch! carridine didn't say if he got another copy but he still maintained an interest in comics throughout his life.

At the 1989 San Diego Comic-Con I was set up with Howard Rockman from Albuquerque (at the time I was managing his comic store there). A guy came up to the table and asked if we had any Supersnipe Comics. The guy looked like a bum. He had pants on that were so dirty I swear they would stand up on their own.I had to look at him a few times before I realized it was David Carradine. It was shocking how unhealthy he looked.

Well we had one Supersnipe that he liked and he wrote us a check for $40 for it. When we got back home the check bounced. Howard could never collect on it so we put it up for sale in the shop for $40. It sold in about a day.

lol, that is a great story and I am glad that in the end everyone got what they wanted out of the deal :)

This is unbelievable. I mean, who would pay $40 for a Supersnipe in 1989? :screwy:

This is unbelievable. I mean, who would pay $40 for a Supersnipe in 1989? :screwy:

lol He didn't really pay for it though did he.

A scruffy, smelly grasshopper.

i finally found an avatar that is appropiate for me since i like looking for pictures with comics from the past. so let's go with sherman & mr peabody in the wayback machine to a train station newsstand in the boston area in august 1958. a few of these pictures were shown earlier but i thought it would be cool to see the whole set of pictures. i was able to identify many of the comics in the photos. i think there is the august 1958 issue of All for Love but i don't have a cover pic.

boston8-58-1.jpg

see ad for roy campenella biography "i'll walk again"

boston8-58-2.jpg

boston8-58-3.jpg

he's reading mark trail & check out the pall mall cigarette pack in shirt pocket

boston8-58-4.jpg

boston8-58-5.jpg

here's the comics i've found...

atom the cat 12, detective 259, mark trail 1, jimmy olsen 31, superboy 67

atomcat12.jpgdetective259.jpgmarktrail1.jpgjolsen31.jpgsuperboy67.jpg

tarzan jungle annual 7, tom & jerry 170, tales of the unexpected 29, vacation in disneyland, wdcs 216

tarzanjungleann7.jpgtomjerry170.jpgunexpected29.jpgvacd-land.jpgwdcs216.jpg

i finally found an avatar that is appropiate for me since i like looking for pictures with comics from the past. so let's go with sherman & mr peabody in the wayback machine to a train station newsstand in the boston area in august 1958. a few of these pictures were shown earlier but i thought it would be cool to see the whole set of pictures. i was able to identify many of the comics in the photos. i think there is the august 1958 issue of All for Love but i don't have a cover pic.

boston8-58-1.jpg

see ad for roy campenella biography "i'll walk again"

boston8-58-2.jpg

boston8-58-3.jpg

he's reading mark trail & check out the pall mall cigarette pack in shirt pocket

boston8-58-4.jpg

boston8-58-5.jpg

here's the comics i've found...

atom the cat 12, detective 259, mark trail 1, jimmy olsen 31, superboy 67

atomcat12.jpgdetective259.jpgmarktrail1.jpgjolsen31.jpgsuperboy67.jpg

tarzan jungle annual 7, tom & jerry 170, tales of the unexpected 29, vacation in disneyland, wdcs 216

tarzanjungleann7.jpgtomjerry170.jpgunexpected29.jpgvacd-land.jpgwdcs216.jpg

keep 'em comin Jeff :cool:

Looks like an Atomic Bunny is the near hidden Charlton issue you can see between his leg. Probably issue 13.

Also a Masked Raider 2 by his leg also an October 1958 issue by Charlton.

boston8-58-1.jpg