• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

let's take the wayback machine with sherman & mr peabody to a tacoma washington grocery store in september 1952.

store9-52.jpg

on the rack is wambi jungle boy, jungle, reggie, katy keene, wilbur, suzie, archie, betty & veronica & little iodine. i'll keep looking for those pics of early actions & pre-robin tecs.

let's take the wayback machine with sherman & mr peabody to a tacoma washington grocery store in september 1952.

store9-52.jpg

on the rack is wambi jungle boy, jungle, reggie, katy keene, wilbur, suzie, archie, betty & veronica & little iodine. i'll keep looking for those pics of early actions & pre-robin tecs.

see if you can find any pics of SA Marvels from 61-64 Jeff :applause: would be cool to see an FF 1 or Hulk 1 on a rack...

see if you can find any pics of SA Marvels from 61-64 Jeff :applause: would be cool to see an FF 1 or Hulk 1 on a rack...

i haven't found many pics from that era yet since i've been focusing in pre 1960s pics.

let take the wayback machine to pittsburgh pennsylvania...

april 10, 1931 on beech st

beechstpitt4-10-31.jpg

closeup above the newspaper dollies are ads for buck rogers & funny faces comics in the pittsburgh press.

beechstdetail.jpg

people promoting negro heroes #1 in 1948. the woman 2nd from left is sadie alexander, the first african-american woman to earn a PhD in the united states (1921), first african-american woman to get a law degree from univ pennsylvania law and was a prominent civil rights activist.

negroheroes1.jpg

kids on the bus in summer 1951. see kid at left.

pittbus1950.jpg

closeup view, he's immortalized picking his nose and holding lone ranger 38 & looney tunes 118

pittbusdetail.jpg

loneranger38.jpglooney118.jpg

newsstand pic (5th & wood st) from about the same time in 1951

pitt1951.jpg

closeup on comics

pitt1951detail.jpg

someone help me with id on comic left of looney tunes.

comics: looney tunes 18, paul terry's comics 88, durango kid 12, wdcs 131, andy panda fc 345, red ryder 97, sparkle 18, romantic story 12, archie annual 3

looney118.jpgpaulterry88.jpgdurango12.jpgwdcs131.jpgfc345.jpgredryder97.jpgsparkle18.jpgromanticstory12.jpgarchieann3.jpg

Oh, and thanks for the photos. My collection is dated March 1952 and all these pics from right around the same period are fantastic documentation for me. :thumbsup:

Great work, which combined with such fascinating pictures make this thread one of the best on the boards....

1942newsstand-1.jpg

I was talking to an old timer at the NYCC who mentioned something I thought was really interesting.

He said that in the city Nedors were not available at the regular street newstands but were available at the newstands in the train stations. He said that he always had to hike to the train station to pick up Black Terror and such.

He said there were other publishers that were the same but he couldn't remember which. He did say that DC and Timely were widely available.

So maybe this is a photo in one of the train stations?

1942newsstand-1.jpg

I was talking to an old timer at the NYCC who mentioned something I thought was really interesting.

He said that in the city Nedors were not available at the regular street newstands but were available at the newstands in the train stations. He said that he always had to hike to the train station to pick up Black Terror and such.

He said there were other publishers that were the same but he couldn't remember which. He did say that DC and Timely were widely available.

So maybe this is a photo in one of the train stations?

That's very interesting. Perhaps Nedors weren't available at newsstands in the bay area of California either, and that's why they're absent from the Reilly pedigree.

Cool story....it must have been neat talking to someone who picked up comics when they were just comics.

It sounds like someone had it set up so that NEDOR had to work a bit harder to sell their product in NYC. I wonder what the story on that was ?

5PointsNewsstand.jpg