• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: I'm having a bad day, and more books from ATOMICAVENUE just added to my pain

48 posts in this topic

I have a picture from 20 years back when I was in college...yes, sad to say...circa 1989, I guess this would be...a roommate of mine was a comic nerd too.

His thing was IRON MAN.

And he used to always say, "It's only paper and ink!"

And to prove his point, he put a lighter to one of his Iron Man comics.

I've got the photo somewhere.

Great pic. Iron man comic though.

200 something or another.

The good news is...I made $200 off of you and spent them on my copper X-men. Thank you Rich!!

I'm kidding buddy. That totally blows. You feel like Paul Newman in the Color of Money when Forest Whitaker keeps taking his cash. He knows he being played because of all his experience. And yet he fell for it.

It happens to the best of us.

I'll send you a garbage plate.

I just checked out that site for the first time ever due to your post.

WTF??? No actual scans of the books for sale? Just stock pics? Doesn't look like a place I'd want to do business... :sumo:

Ha! I wonder why? :whistle:

there are GREAT Sellers on Atomic Ave, I had several nm X-men's come back as 9.8's, including two of the issues Danny Needed for his 9.8 set when he was going for it (149 & 174). There are horrible sellers too though, So you have to be careful . I did return many books I bought from there.

there are GREAT Sellers on Atomic Ave, I had several nm X-men's come back as 9.8's, including two of the issues Danny Needed for his 9.8 set when he was going for it (149 & 174). There are horrible sellers too though, So you have to be careful . I did return many books I bought from there.

I'd like to know who those GOOD sellers are.

Seven out of 7 is just bad, bad luck then.

And to just endcap for me, I think what the FINAL button pushed was...

It's one thing if you've got one guy that sends you .

It's another thing when EVERY seller sends you .

And it's even ANOTHER thing...when you've got a guy who claims NM and 100% satisfaction, and you've ordered say, 15 books from that guy...and EVERY book is far less then NM or even VF....EVERY book.

Not just one. EVERY last book.

I just checked out that site for the first time ever due to your post.

WTF??? No actual scans of the books for sale? Just stock pics? Doesn't look like a place I'd want to do business... :sumo:

Ha! I wonder why? :whistle:

Geez Loweez..........this sounds like e-bay with no protection and no freakin' scans - it just can't be any scarier than that........ :o

but it certainly seems to be the typical e-bay modus operandi, assume the book will be 4 grades or so below what's advertised and pay accordingly.

this is what makes SNE so popular, methinks, although not the greatest graders perhaps, their books are like Heritage or Metro and very close to what they advertise. (often within that one grade range where almost everyone can agree a book can go either way). and for a huge number of collectors, who also can't grade, it's the most satisfying deal on e-bay... :cool:

Okay... it seems that a lot of people don't really understand how Atomic Avenue is supposed to work.

Atomic Avenue is a direct byproduct of ComicBase, a program used to CATALOG your private (or not so private) comic book collection.

What it does is make it EASY for you to put up a portion (or all of your collection) up for sale. However, it assumes that you will ACCURATELY GRADE your own collection.

However, it does not have the same grading scale as CGC. If you enter a custom grading scale that matches CGC's grading scale (or Overstreet's), there is a conversion process when your book gets listed onto Atomic Avenue.

What Atomic Avenue DOES do is standardize shipping costs and put out a base price on each comic based on its own pricing guide. (Which differs from Overstreet.)

If, when you enter your comics into ComicBase, you enter an incorrect grade, it will be reflected in the Atomic Avenue listing. If you want to sell your comic for more than the CBG Standard Guide price, then you enter a custom amount.

Unlike eBay, where you have to create an auction listing for a comic, the effort involved for listing a comic on Atomic Avenue is usually a mouse click in a checkbox indicating that comic is now for sale. (So if you have several thousand books in your collection, you can put them online in a fraction of the time it would take you to list them on eBay.)

So basically, it's only as good as the data being inputted when a comic collector adds a comic to his collection in ComicBase. This is why people use the VF-NM grade.

Rich,

First off--thank you. I was just about to place an order-in particular, one of the sellers you mentioned had great prices, so I figured even if have the NM books came back as NM-'s, I'd be OK. Now, I'm not going to.

Secondly---NEG THE SCOMBAGS. Seriously, that's what it's there for. The same seller seems to act indignant, as if buyers have done something unsporting, when he gets poor feedback. If you don't do it, know one else will know.

Okay... it seems that a lot of people don't really understand how Atomic Avenue is supposed to work.

Atomic Avenue is a direct byproduct of ComicBase, a program used to CATALOG your private (or not so private) comic book collection.

What it does is make it EASY for you to put up a portion (or all of your collection) up for sale. However, it assumes that you will ACCURATELY GRADE your own collection.

However, it does not have the same grading scale as CGC. If you enter a custom grading scale that matches CGC's grading scale (or Overstreet's), there is a conversion process when your book gets listed onto Atomic Avenue.

What Atomic Avenue DOES do is standardize shipping costs and put out a base price on each comic based on its own pricing guide. (Which differs from Overstreet.)

If, when you enter your comics into ComicBase, you enter an incorrect grade, it will be reflected in the Atomic Avenue listing. If you want to sell your comic for more than the CBG Standard Guide price, then you enter a custom amount.

Unlike eBay, where you have to create an auction listing for a comic, the effort involved for listing a comic on Atomic Avenue is usually a mouse click in a checkbox indicating that comic is now for sale. (So if you have several thousand books in your collection, you can put them online in a fraction of the time it would take you to list them on eBay.)

So basically, it's only as good as the data being inputted when a comic collector adds a comic to his collection in ComicBase. This is why people use the VF-NM grade.

That may be all well and good for some but I like to see the actual book I'm buying!

It's like Mile High's ebay offerings with their disclamer:

The image in this listing is from a random copy of this product that we have had in stock recently. It probably will not be the item we send you, nor even representative of the grade of this item, but is meant to help you determine if this is the item you want. Please view our grading standards for details on a specific grade.

:frustrated: